Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Dec 1, 2011
2:47:16 PM
Charged regular price during black-friday special? Support can't say why...
Edited by joeonsunset on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:49:15 PM

Last saturday I tried to take advantage of the 1-cent promo pricing on an HTC Titan via Premier online. After carefully reading the terms and conditions, it appeared that I qualified. I was upgrade eligible in general so I ordered the device. The price showed the $299.98 rebate underneath all through the process, except that in the end I was charged $299.99 plus tax. This started a comical series support calls that went like this:

Sat, 1am. I called as soon as I saw I didn't get the rebate, to see why and/or cancel the order. The rep looked online and read the terms, and looked at my account, and said that I qualified and she didn't know why it didn't work. She said she had spoken to a couple of people to whom this happened. She told me I'd need to contact website sales support, but that they're not open until Monday. She said not to cancel the order, because the price was only valid that one day. She actually told me to take a screenshot of the promo price on the web and email it to myself. This did not inspire my confidence.

Sat. 9am. I called Premier support anyway on the chance that someone was there. This rep said the same thing as the general support rep: my account looks like it qualifies, she can't understand why I didn't get the rebate. Call back Monday.

Monday, 8am. I called Premier and got the web support department. This rep. listened to my story and said she couldn't actually answer my question herself. She said I would need to be referred to the escalation department and I'd get a call within 24 hours, and gave me a ticket number. OK...

Tuesday, 4pm. Having not gotten that call, I called Premier web support and was told my escalation was still "in process." Contrary to the 24-hour estimate, this rep told me escalations take "24-48 hours." Alrighty...

Wednesday, 4pm. Still no call, so I called that same department. The same answer, although this rep actually said, "it's still early. Escalations take anywhere between 24 and 72 hours." Kindof funny...

Today, Thursday around 4pm I call and the rep shockingly didn't tell me that escalations take 96 hours. Instead she put me on hold for over 15 minutes. She came back and said she would need to upgrade my rate plan. I tried to ask for details, but got put back on hold. Several minutes later, she said my rate plan was updated so that "escalation can process the refund." I asked if that meant I would actually be getting a refund... she basically repeated herself.So I asked "Will I be receiving a call, or should I just expect a refund?" She told me I'd get a call and then said, "Thank you" and hung up.

Assuming I'll ever actually get that call, now I needed to know what changes were made to my rate plan-- since that rep. didn't tell me. I saw nothing different online, so I called billing support who looked and told me "several changes were made," but then read me all the same rate plans and data plans I already had.

Is there anyone else out there who has experience with an escalated support matter like this? Or anyone who didn't get the 1-cent promotion b/c of an "outdated" plan, who then got a refund? Or did you end up having to cancel the order?

How many times should I keep calling the "Premier web support" department with the reps who just refer me to escalation and add a day to my estimated wait? Should I give up and return the phone? I haven't opened it, because $299 is a terrible contract price-- it usually $100 cheaper.

Last saturday I tried to take advantage of the 1-cent promo pricing on an HTC Titan via Premier online. After carefully reading the terms and conditions, it appeared that I qualified. I was upgrade eligible in general so I ordered the device. The price showed the $299.98 rebate underneath all through the process, except that in the end I was charged $299.99 plus tax. This started a comical series support calls that went like this:

Sat, 1am. I called as soon as I saw I didn't get the rebate, to see why and/or cancel the order. The rep looked online and read the terms, and looked at my account, and said that I qualified and she didn't know why it didn't work. She said she had spoken to a couple of people to whom this happened. She told me I'd need to contact website sales support, but that they're not open until Monday. She said not to cancel the order, because the price was only valid that one day. She actually told me to take a screenshot of the promo price on the web and email it to myself. This did not inspire my confidence.

Sat. 9am. I called Premier support anyway on the chance that someone was there. This rep said the same thing as the general support rep: my account looks like it qualifies, she can't understand why I didn't get the rebate. Call back Monday.

Monday, 8am. I called Premier and got the web support department. This rep. listened to my story and said she couldn't actually answer my question herself. She said I would need to be referred to the escalation department and I'd get a call within 24 hours, and gave me a ticket number. OK...

Tuesday, 4pm. Having not gotten that call, I called Premier web support and was told my escalation was still "in process." Contrary to the 24-hour estimate, this rep told me escalations take "24-48 hours." Alrighty...

Wednesday, 4pm. Still no call, so I called that same department. The same answer, although this rep actually said, "it's still early. Escalations take anywhere between 24 and 72 hours." Kindof funny...

Today, Thursday around 4pm I call and the rep shockingly didn't tell me that escalations take 96 hours. Instead she put me on hold for over 15 minutes. She came back and said she would need to upgrade my rate plan. I tried to ask for details, but got put back on hold. Several minutes later, she said my rate plan was updated so that "escalation can process the refund." I asked if that meant I would actually be getting a refund... she basically repeated herself.So I asked "Will I be receiving a call, or should I just expect a refund?" She told me I'd get a call and then said, "Thank you" and hung up.

Assuming I'll ever actually get that call, now I needed to know what changes were made to my rate plan-- since that rep. didn't tell me. I saw nothing different online, so I called billing support who looked and told me "several changes were made," but then read me all the same rate plans and data plans I already had.

Is there anyone else out there who has experience with an escalated support matter like this? Or anyone who didn't get the 1-cent promotion b/c of an "outdated" plan, who then got a refund? Or did you end up having to cancel the order?

How many times should I keep calling the "Premier web support" department with the reps who just refer me to escalation and add a day to my estimated wait? Should I give up and return the phone? I haven't opened it, because $299 is a terrible contract price-- it usually $100 cheaper.

Charged regular price during black-friday special? Support can't say why...

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:00:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

joeonsunset wrote:
She came back and said she would need to upgrade my rate plan. I tried to ask for details, but got put back on hold. Several minutes later, she said my rate plan was updated so that "escalation can process the refund." I asked if that meant I would actually be getting a refund... she basically repeated herself.So I asked "Will I be receiving a call, or should I just expect a refund?" She told me I'd get a call and then said, "Thank you" and hung up.

Wow, did they actually change your plan without explaining it to you?

joeonsunset wrote:
She came back and said she would need to upgrade my rate plan. I tried to ask for details, but got put back on hold. Several minutes later, she said my rate plan was updated so that "escalation can process the refund." I asked if that meant I would actually be getting a refund... she basically repeated herself.So I asked "Will I be receiving a call, or should I just expect a refund?" She told me I'd get a call and then said, "Thank you" and hung up.

Wow, did they actually change your plan without explaining it to you?

Re: Charged regular price during black-friday special? Support can't say why...

2 of 6 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:22:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Aparrently, except that according to the other rep the "new" plan is the same price and minutes. I really have no idea what is happening. lol. I don't expect the ultimate in service from AT&T but I've never dealt with anything quite like this.

Aparrently, except that according to the other rep the "new" plan is the same price and minutes. I really have no idea what is happening. lol. I don't expect the ultimate in service from AT&T but I've never dealt with anything quite like this.

3 of 6 (244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:35:13 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

joeonsunset wrote:

Why don't you send me a private message with your name, account number, order number, phone number, and the best time to contact you? Let's get you connected with someone who can review your account and order so we can make sure everything is set up properly. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

joeonsunset wrote:

Why don't you send me a private message with your name, account number, order number, phone number, and the best time to contact you? Let's get you connected with someone who can review your account and order so we can make sure everything is set up properly. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 9:20:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks, I did that.

I just realized I've been with AT&T for wireless, in one way or another, for coming up on 15 years: Bellsouth Mobility (1997), which had been broken off from... AT&T Wireless (2000), which was bought by... Cingular (2004), which became AT&T in '05, bought Bellsouth in '06 and became... AT&T Mobility (2007).

Thanks, I did that.

I just realized I've been with AT&T for wireless, in one way or another, for coming up on 15 years: Bellsouth Mobility (1997), which had been broken off from... AT&T Wireless (2000), which was bought by... Cingular (2004), which became AT&T in '05, bought Bellsouth in '06 and became... AT&T Mobility (2007).

5 of 6 (215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:06:14 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Got it & responded. Thanks!

--------------

Got it & responded. Thanks!

--------------

6 of 6 (207 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments