Cellular mobile broadband

Tutor

Cellular mobile broadband

[ Edited ]
I'm having data service in my iPhone and I have a HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop.

From the DELL webside I read about Cellular mobile broadband.

Can use internet in my laptop using the same data service of my iPhone? If so, which card should I buy and how can I activate it?

or

I have to sign up for a new contract in order to use cellular mobile broadband in my laptop. If this is the case, what are the prices?
-----------------------------------------------

My question precisely is to avoid the second line suggested. After buying the card suggested I don't know if I can use the same data service from my iPhone for my laptop. This way I will expend  $50 in one shoot, and not $60 monthly plus the price of the card.

Thanks for replying

Message Edited by gizeh1976 on 01-09-2008 11:09:59 PM
Message 1 of 11 (7,160 Views)
Scholar

Re: Cellular mobile broadband

gizeh1976 wrote:

Can use internet in my laptop using the same data service of my iPhone? If so, which card should I buy and how can I activate it?

Theoretically, you could use the same data service as your iPhone line.  You would have to buy broadband wireless card ( http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pc-cards.jsp ), upgrade your plan to allow for unlimited data access, and switch your SIM card back and form between your iPhone to your wireless card.  I don't know if there are any iPhone plan restriction that would prohibit or limit this, though.

Best option would be to add a line using one of the cards on the list above.  That way you have separate lines and can use both simultaneously.  Cost of the cards (with 2yr contract and after rebate) are about $50 online (though you may get better deal in a store, I did), and an unlimited data plan for these is $60/month.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 11 (7,083 Views)
Guru

I've heard that you can't get at the SIM card on Dell's built in HSDPA card.  I am not speaking from personal knowledge.
Message 3 of 11 (6,985 Views)
Master

stufried wrote:
I've heard that you can't get at the SIM card on Dell's built in HSDPA card.  I am not speaking from personal knowledge.

I can certainly get at mine.  It's just under the battery.
Message 4 of 11 (6,875 Views)
Tutor

Let me refresh my question: I have an iPhone with unlimited Data service; I wanna know if I can use my iPhone's data service
in a broadband wireless card. Somebody suggested me to have two lines, one for my iPhone and one for my laptop, but i wanna avoid it. I want to use a unique data service for both my laptop and iPhone. The only problem is I don't if this is possible.
Thanks for replying
Message 5 of 11 (6,869 Views)
Master

gizeh1976 wrote:
Let me refresh my question: I have an iPhone with unlimited Data service; I wanna know if I can use my iPhone's data service
in a broadband wireless card. Somebody suggested me to have two lines, one for my iPhone and one for my laptop, but i wanna avoid it. I want to use a unique data service for both my laptop and iPhone. The only problem is I don't if this is possible.
Thanks for replying

If you are asking if you can use your iPhone data plan in a laptop card or any other data device or method to obtain internet access other than on the iPhone the answer is no.  iPhone data plans are deeply discounted and only allow for data use in an iPhone device.  If you need any other sort of data that is not on the iPhone you will need to pay extra for that.
Message 6 of 11 (6,862 Views)
Tutor

gizeh1976 wrote:
Thanks for replying

If you are asking if you can use your iPhone data plan in a laptop card or any other data device or method to obtain internet access other than on the iPhone the answer is no.  iPhone data plans are deeply discounted and only allow for data use in an iPhone device.  If you need any other sort of data that is not on the iPhone you will need to pay extra for that.
-------------------------------

How much will cost me to get the unlimited internet service in my laptop using a a broadband wireless card?
Message 7 of 11 (6,855 Views)
Scholar

The unlimited data for laptop connect is $59.99, only problem is that a 2 yr contract is required.  That is my big delima, b/c I have a Blackjack & have the PDA connect plan & was also wanting to swap SIM cards out to use in the wireless card, but they say I can't, mine says invalid profile on the Sierra Wireless profile when I try it Smiley Sad  I also have my card, bought it off one of my friends AT&T still wants a min 12 month contract even 4 activating my own card, which I didn't like Smiley Sad  So I am holding off, also I heard something about new plans as of 1/22 & they arn't going to be unlimited anymore???  This is just hearsay though not sure how true it is just something to think about.
Message 8 of 11 (6,846 Views)
Master

If you purchase your own equipment such as on ebay the minimum contract commitment is 12 months.
Message 9 of 11 (6,828 Views)
Tutor

All right, thanxs for all that info.
Message 10 of 11 (6,816 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

2000tara wrote:
The unlimited data for laptop connect is $59.99, only problem is that a 2 yr contract is required.  That is my big delima, b/c I have a Blackjack & have the PDA connect plan & was also wanting to swap SIM cards out to use in the wireless card, but they say I can't, mine says invalid profile on the Sierra Wireless profile when I try it Smiley Sad  I also have my card, bought it off one of my friends AT&T still wants a min 12 month contract even 4 activating my own card, which I didn't like Smiley Sad  So I am holding off, also I heard something about new plans as of 1/22 & they arn't going to be unlimited anymore???  This is just hearsay though not sure how true it is just something to think about.

you can add laptop connect to your blackjack's line (replacing the current data plan), and that will allow you to swap the sim card back and forth between the BJ & the data card. no contract required when adding to an existing line of service - only when adding a new line of service (w/separate sim card).
Message 11 of 11 (1,815 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.