Helpful Links

Cases for Samsung Focus?

Scholar

Cases for Samsung Focus?

Anybody come across cases for the Focus?  My AT&T store had only 1 red case in stock (I forget the mfgr-it will be the standard case sold at AT&T).  Didn't want the red, and not sure it would be the best case on the market.

Message 1 of 42
Teacher

Re: Cases for Samsung Focus?

Does the phone come with a screen protector?  If not, which do you use and where did you get it?

Thanks!

Message 16 of 42
Guru

Screen is allegedly "Gorilla Glass", so a protector might be "overkill"

Message 17 of 42
Contributor

Whatever you do, make sure you get it in something, dropped mine and the glass broke...gotta call insurance tomorrow and pay the deductible Smiley Sad love the phone though! the voice recognition is absolutely amazing...it actually freakin' works!!! I wouldn't worry about a screen protector thoough, the glass didn't scratch when I accidentaly ran it across my leatheerman that was in the same pocket

Message 18 of 42
Teacher

Not disputing the findings mentioned by others, but I bought the Body Glove case at the ATT store (was all they had) and I have had no problems with buttons.   They work as designed under the case.   

I do agree that I would prefer to have them exposed, but I'm not having any troubles.

Message 19 of 42
Teacher

Has anyone found decent cases yet?  Hope to see some  decent ones released .

Message 20 of 42
Contributor

My AT&T store had all 3 cases and I have not found any others yet that are custom designed for the Focus.  Because the Focus is a slick little phone (in more ways than one!) The phone needs a "grip" as well as a protective case. 

The Incipio case (Grey) does not cover the phone at the top or bottom, so does not seem to provide adquate protection. 

The Body Glove case (besides being ugly) apparently is the right idea, but the tight fit on the buttons (and hearing from several other users that the buttons have frequently turned the phone "off" when they did not want it off!) ws a concern.  I expect we will see other similar cases soon.

The CaseMate case is a solid protector, but it sure is RED (with a capital "R"!)  I would prefer a black or grey case over Red any day of the week!  And it takes the slim small Focus and turns it into a device that seems much larger - and doesn't fit comfortably in your pocket anymore.

However, I needed to protect the phone (after all, I still  have about 16 days to decide whether to return it or not, and it needs to be returned in good shape!) so I went with the big red CaseMate case -- FOR NOW!  I think it is the best of the 3 offered by AT&T.

Message 21 of 42
Contributor

Hey guys, Do u where I could eventually find a replacement back cover for my Focus ? I mean, the plasic feels thin and cheap. Is there any company or website where they might get an actual cover replacement and not just something to put on top of the phone ?

Thank You

Message 22 of 42
Scholar

gmfeld wrote:

For now, I bought the 

Amzer® Silicone Skin Jelly Case - Black  For Samsung Focus I917

http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page.asp?divid=Samsung&model=Samsung+Focus+I917&cat=Cases&skuno=89682

For $9.95.

Received this case today.  Seems to be working fine.  Doesn't have cutouts for the power or volume buttons, but so far I haven't had any issues with the case activating those buttons. 

Message 23 of 42
Mentor

great tip mate was gonna dump mine then decided to cut holes on it too, with an army knife Smiley Very Happy Now it works like a charm.

Still want the case mate(only Red at the moment @ att) when a black one comes out.

Message 24 of 42
Contributor

The best case I have found so far is the red Pop Case made by Case Mate (the red one at the AT&T store with black rubbery sides).  See link below.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/index.jsp?q_sku=sku4980588&q_catego...

Unfortunately, Case Mate only has this case in red.  To my knowledge, they have not made plans to make this case in other colors, but it is open for voting on their website.  To vote for more Pop Case colors, please go to the link below and vote!  You can place up to 3 votes per topic per user/email address.  If enough votes are placed, we might see some more colors pop up!  They have multiple colors for the same case for the iPhone 4, and maybe some other phones too, so I would think this will come eventually.  

http://feedback.case-mate.com/forums/26011-product/suggestions/1278729-please-add-more-colors-for-th...

I don't have the pop case, but my boyfriend does, and it is very nice, and not bulky like I thought it would be.  No unwanted button presses, but when you want to press the buttons, it is very easy, maybe even easier than having no case at all.  It is a little difficult to remove, but that shouldn't be a problem 99% of the time.  The only problem he's had with the case so far: he had to get a new 1/8in audio cable, because the casing on his old one was too bulky to fit in all the way with the phone case on - not a problem with the case though, and audio cables are cheap.  And, as much as I hate the red color, I do have to say it is growing on me - and it doesn't look nearly as gaudy in normal light as it does in the fluorescent lighting in the AT&T store.

I got the black incipio 'slider' case that kind of clips onto the back.  I like it, it has a nice feel (kind of satiny-rubbery? if that makes sense), but I don't feel like it offers the same level of protection as the Pop Case.  It has openings where the buttons are, so no possibility of unwanted button presses or problems with 1/8in audio jacks.  See link below.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat1370025&q_sku=sku4...

Message 25 of 42
Contributor

That's correct, the Body Glove cases that AT&T sells SUCK! When you are holding the phone while making a call (in the normal spots on the sides) it continually either takes pictures or locks the phone/turns it off. When you are holding the phone you cannot really feel where the buttons are and you barely have to put any pressure on the case for it to push the buttons in and hold them. 

I am currently trying to find a different case to use. 

Message 26 of 42
Contributor

I purchased the red case-mate for my wife, and it is the best case because the buttons work well, and it is a good protector.  I also can't wait till a black version comes out.

Until then, I tried the body glove, and still have it turn off even when I turn the power button up in the pouch.  I dremeled out the buttons and will test it to see if I like it that way as it definitely not workable with the OOTB buttons.

I also purchased a $10 black Gel Case on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+focus+gel+...

and so far like it even though it feals a little cheap and overly soft, but the buttons are similar to the case-mate. 

Message 27 of 42
Teacher

I just ordered this new bodyglove hard case.  It should be in this week.  Not a bad price.  I will let you know what its like.

http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page.asp?divid=Samsung&model=Samsung+Focus+I917&cat=Cases&skuno=90272

Message 28 of 42
Highlighted
Tutor

Has anyone looked at the other Amzer case made from TPU rather than the Jelly Case talked about before.

Link to Case

Message 29 of 42
Contributor

that was the first case i went to for my phone. you will truly enjoy that material.

besides the nice design, it really does protect the phone quite well. i got this on ebay for 8 dollars and had it on my phone.

dropped my phone and no damage or anything on it. really does a swell job. its low in price and great material. i prefer this to the rubber type material and especially over the silicone ones. this just seems so much better.

i also bought the POP casemate one, on amazon for 10 dollars (in store 35? crazy). nice case as well. for future cases, go for the TPU material ones, they last a long time and provide excellent protection.

i had these kinds of cases for my iphones and blackberries, i dont think i could reccommend some other material. best of luck.

Message 30 of 42
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support