Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 17, 2011
8:07:22 AM
Carrier IQ, Motoblur and other tracking and spyware software...
It is not just Carrier IQ we need to be worried about, it is also the Motoblur UI which is baked into EVERY Motorola Device. So even though your Motorola Phone doesn't have carrier IQ installed, it has Motoblur which also collects a LOT of information about your device, your usage and your installed Apps. Here is Motorola;s privacy statement which gives a peak into the data it collects: https://portal-moto.svcmot.com/moto-web-portal/legal?l=en_US&f=pp NONE of this should be acceptable, AT&T has the AT&T Marks the Spot App, that is a true Opt-In way (if it's not baked into the Rom), to report problems and allow AT&T to get information about the devices, dropped calls, poor network performance ect. AT&T and many other carriers have done away with Unlimited Data plans, Guess what, all this information which is collected is data, and is transmitted with out our knowledge back to whomever the clearing house is for the data! I'm willing to bet (and I'm pretty certain looking at my data usage trends between when I had my device setup with Motoblur and when I replaced the rom allowing me to skip motoblur), that this is chewing up costly data, which IMHO constitutes theft of my device's service.
It is not just Carrier IQ we need to be worried about, it is also the Motoblur UI which is baked into EVERY Motorola Device. So even though your Motorola Phone doesn't have carrier IQ installed, it has Motoblur which also collects a LOT of information about your device, your usage and your installed Apps. Here is Motorola;s privacy statement which gives a peak into the data it collects: https://portal-moto.svcmot.com/moto-web-portal/legal?l=en_US&f=pp NONE of this should be acceptable, AT&T has the AT&T Marks the Spot App, that is a true Opt-In way (if it's not baked into the Rom), to report problems and allow AT&T to get information about the devices, dropped calls, poor network performance ect. AT&T and many other carriers have done away with Unlimited Data plans, Guess what, all this information which is collected is data, and is transmitted with out our knowledge back to whomever the clearing house is for the data! I'm willing to bet (and I'm pretty certain looking at my data usage trends between when I had my device setup with Motoblur and when I replaced the rom allowing me to skip motoblur), that this is chewing up costly data, which IMHO constitutes theft of my device's service.

Carrier IQ, Motoblur and other tracking and spyware software...

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2011 9:39:13 AM
(0)
Professor
Ever wondered why they require a data plan for all smartphones?

Re: Carrier IQ, Motoblur and other tracking and spyware software...

2 of 8 (347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2011 9:54:05 AM
(0)
Expert

FredW wrote:

So people can stream pandora and netflix 7x24x365

Would be more worried about the computer you use then the cell phone there is a lot more data that can be gotten from that then the phone

FredW wrote:

Would be more worried about the computer you use then the cell phone there is a lot more data that can be gotten from that then the phone

3 of 8 (348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 6:55:45 AM
(0)
Tutor
Smart Phones require a data plan to access many of the basic functions of having a smart phone, for MY use. I have control of my computer, I can change OS's whenever I want. I can block anything I want. The point is on the devices such as a smart phone we can not. I purchased an Android Phone, I expect an Android Experience, Not a Motoblur/Sense/TouchWiz phone that happens to run on top of Android. I do not expect my data to be logged, my activity to be tracked. Many of us use our smart phones as computer replacements for much of what we do.
Smart Phones require a data plan to access many of the basic functions of having a smart phone, for MY use. I have control of my computer, I can change OS's whenever I want. I can block anything I want. The point is on the devices such as a smart phone we can not. I purchased an Android Phone, I expect an Android Experience, Not a Motoblur/Sense/TouchWiz phone that happens to run on top of Android. I do not expect my data to be logged, my activity to be tracked. Many of us use our smart phones as computer replacements for much of what we do.

4 of 8 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 10:12:22 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:

I would think that if AT&T wanted customers to "stream pandora and netflix 7x24x365", they wouldn't have quit offering the unlimited data plan. There was a time when there was very little critical info passed through a cell phone. With advancement of technology and people now storing more critical contact info, banking, social networking, etc, etc... on their phone, the same can't be said these days. Heck, all this time people had been worried about third party apps doing this to them, all along it has been the carriers and manufacturers themselves implementing this kind of mess. It's not always just about what they do with the info they take, but also what happens with the info if someone takes it from them.

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:

I would think that if AT&T wanted customers to "stream pandora and netflix 7x24x365", they wouldn't have quit offering the unlimited data plan. There was a time when there was very little critical info passed through a cell phone. With advancement of technology and people now storing more critical contact info, banking, social networking, etc, etc... on their phone, the same can't be said these days. Heck, all this time people had been worried about third party apps doing this to them, all along it has been the carriers and manufacturers themselves implementing this kind of mess. It's not always just about what they do with the info they take, but also what happens with the info if someone takes it from them.

5 of 8 (317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 6:21:04 PM
(0)
Expert

Mark the Spot is an option to install for the iPhone, as well as optional opt-in.  If you don't activate it and accept the terms, it doesn't work.  And you can just uninstall the App.  Is it not that way on other phones?

And did anybody try this?

Detect Carrier IQ

Mark the Spot is an option to install for the iPhone, as well as optional opt-in.  If you don't activate it and accept the terms, it doesn't work.  And you can just uninstall the App.  Is it not that way on other phones?

And did anybody try this?

Detect Carrier IQ

6 of 8 (292 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 6:25:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've looked into the supposed issues with CarrierIQ and other "tracking" software in mobile devices...

There's a lot of confusion around what data is recorded, what data is used and who sees it. 

CarrierIQ will not save any recorded activity unless an error is prompted. The only data collected measures usage, error reports, and other non-personal data used by carriers to make sure your evice is working properly. 

This idea that yourpasswords, credit card info, search terms, etc... are recorded and sent to an evil man in a cave forgeing identities for escaped convicts is... well...rediculous. 

If you are worried about this... then don't store this information in your phone. 

I've looked into the supposed issues with CarrierIQ and other "tracking" software in mobile devices...

There's a lot of confusion around what data is recorded, what data is used and who sees it. 

CarrierIQ will not save any recorded activity unless an error is prompted. The only data collected measures usage, error reports, and other non-personal data used by carriers to make sure your evice is working properly. 

This idea that yourpasswords, credit card info, search terms, etc... are recorded and sent to an evil man in a cave forgeing identities for escaped convicts is... well...rediculous. 

If you are worried about this... then don't store this information in your phone. 

7 of 8 (275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 6:33:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

droid-o-bot wrote:

The fact is, that is what they, Carrier IQ and the carriers say is all that is stored. 

The problems are:

1) It is not part of the stock Android, but something that was installed with out disclosure, and ran in the background.

2) It collects information, and sends it somewhere.

3) It runs at a level which makes, even with a rooted device, virtually impossible to audit.

4) It is a process which runs in the background that is triggered by what would appear to be system events.  These events are not disclosed, and selectable by the carrier or carrier IQ themselves.

5) It has to send the data somewhere.  I have to see anything at all about who pays for the data.  I'm on a metered data plan, is it costing me money for this thing to watch me?

6) It is an program that is running on our devices, as with all programs, it has a cost in battery life, and performance.  How do we know that some of the poor performance some devices get in speed and battery life is not caused by the very software itself that is supposed to track this data.

7) How do we know much of the slowness of getting updates to the latest versions of Android is not because of the time it takes to integrate Carrier IQ or similar software into the handset. 

8) Motoblur we know tracks the apps themselves, and reports them back to Motorola.  I can not confirm carrier IQ does this, but looking at their Device Analyzer Datasheet it would appear it might.

9) All these programs data sheets are careful to say in their data sheets, privacy statements, things like "Tack bla bla which includes Updates" but never at any time do do any of them state is LIMITED to just that data.

10) Above all, it can not be REMOVED if I do not want this data collected.  There is NO OPT-OUT.  Carriers want to lock the devices to just their approved versions of the handset makers and carrier approved flavor of Android (ie Motorola's Locked Encrypted bootloaders).

Personally I would have zero issue with Carrier IQ, or any other tracking the carrier wants to do, if I always had the option of using an AOSP variation of Android without tracking OR the "Handset/Carrier approved enhanced with tracking" variation of Android, which would come with benefits for using their version.

Saying if you are worried about what these tracking programs do, then don't use the device as advertised is... well...rediculous.

droid-o-bot wrote:

The fact is, that is what they, Carrier IQ and the carriers say is all that is stored. 

The problems are:

1) It is not part of the stock Android, but something that was installed with out disclosure, and ran in the background.

2) It collects information, and sends it somewhere.

3) It runs at a level which makes, even with a rooted device, virtually impossible to audit.

4) It is a process which runs in the background that is triggered by what would appear to be system events.  These events are not disclosed, and selectable by the carrier or carrier IQ themselves.

5) It has to send the data somewhere.  I have to see anything at all about who pays for the data.  I'm on a metered data plan, is it costing me money for this thing to watch me?

6) It is an program that is running on our devices, as with all programs, it has a cost in battery life, and performance.  How do we know that some of the poor performance some devices get in speed and battery life is not caused by the very software itself that is supposed to track this data.

7) How do we know much of the slowness of getting updates to the latest versions of Android is not because of the time it takes to integrate Carrier IQ or similar software into the handset. 

8) Motoblur we know tracks the apps themselves, and reports them back to Motorola.  I can not confirm carrier IQ does this, but looking at their Device Analyzer Datasheet it would appear it might.

9) All these programs data sheets are careful to say in their data sheets, privacy statements, things like "Tack bla bla which includes Updates" but never at any time do do any of them state is LIMITED to just that data.

10) Above all, it can not be REMOVED if I do not want this data collected.  There is NO OPT-OUT.  Carriers want to lock the devices to just their approved versions of the handset makers and carrier approved flavor of Android (ie Motorola's Locked Encrypted bootloaders).

Personally I would have zero issue with Carrier IQ, or any other tracking the carrier wants to do, if I always had the option of using an AOSP variation of Android without tracking OR the "Handset/Carrier approved enhanced with tracking" variation of Android, which would come with benefits for using their version.

Saying if you are worried about what these tracking programs do, then don't use the device as advertised is... well...rediculous.

8 of 8 (260 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments