Helpful Links

Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Carrier IQ is hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities... Full Article/Video

Grant Paul, a well-known iPhone hacker who goes by the screenname "chpwn", wrote on his blog that Apple has included Carrier IQ on the iPhone, but the software's default is disabled.

Message 5 of 92
Professor

Re: Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

So thIs means what to iPhone users?
Message 6 of 92
Professor

Everything I've seen indicates this is an issue for Andriod and other smartphones, but not for the iPhone. But if it's true that the software is in the phone, but not turned on currently, who's to say that Apple can't enable it in the future?
Message 11 of 92

graphite07 wrote:

So thIs means what to iPhone users?

iPhone users are actually lucky versus that of other smartphone users because we have the ability to turn this feature off. When we tell Apple we don't want to send any diagnostics and usage data, they respect our privacy. Other smartphones on the otherhand, even when given the option to not send any data, they still do so behind your back. The video above demonstrates that especially when you visit "https" sites that are supposed to be secure.

From what I've read, any keystroke made on a phone with the hidden app, all info/data goes to Carrier IQ first before you can even Google it. Anything that is supposed to be encrypted (such as "https" sites) isn't encrypted as they should.

According to Chpwn, he claims Apple's Carrier IQ installation shares much less information than Android devices. He found that iOS shares "your phone number, your carrier, your country, active phone calls, and your location." However, unlike Android, Apple's installation doesn't share the phone number a user has dialed and only includes location information when "location services are enabled."

"I am reasonably sure it has no access to typed text, web history, passwords, browsing history, or text messages, and as such is not sending any of this data remotely," Chpwn wrote. (More from CIQ Tracking iPhone Too)

Most of us have this feature turned off/default mode without even realizing it. Remember a few threads back where some of us were trying to find ways to save battery? You would go to...

Settings > General > About > scroll down to Diagnostics & Usage > click Don't Send (this is where Carrier IQ is OFF)

By not sending, you are preventing Carrier IQ (as well as Apple) from retrieving any data from you. What type of data? You can see for yourself... If you click Diagnostics & Usage Data (right below Don't Send), it will show a list of items. For example:

LatestCrash-MobileSMS.plist >

Messages-(year)-(month)-(date)-(followed by #s)... >

OTAUpdate-2011-11-10-(followed by #s)... >

Click any one of those on your phone and you will see diagnostics and usage info. It doesn't make sense unless you know how to decode it. You can even test it out by sending yourself a text message, for example, and then go back and try to find that as a new list on the date you sent your text. So if you sent yourself a text today, a new list of Messages-2011-12-1-(followed by #s) should appear.

I watched the video above and afterwards clicked on another random CIQ video and it mentioned something about using up battery due to the retrieval of info if you have that feature turned on. For those of you with some battery issues, you may want to check that out. There is a link below if you need visuals. Smiley Happy

Other related articles...

Carrier IQ: The Best Reason Yet To Switch To iPhone

How To Disable The Carrier IQ "Rootkit" On Your iPhone

Carrier IQ References Discovered in Apple's iOS

Carrier IQ: Mobile App Crap Must Stop

Message 18 of 92

Seems like the US Senate is now getting involved...

Carrier IQ Data Logging Controversy Prompts Scrutiny From US Senate

Message 19 of 92

How to find out if Carrier IQ is installed on my phone?

How can I determine whether Carrier IQ is installed on my telephone?  I have a Captivate.  http://www.theverge.com/tag/carrier-iq

Message 9 of 92
Guru

Re: How to find out if Carrier IQ is installed on my phone?

It's not. ATT just started doing this with the Skyrocket and Vivid.
Message 25 of 92

Thanks. Also might be on LG Nitro. And, just found out about Voodoo Carrier IQ Detector app. It returned a score of 0.
Message 29 of 92

CarrierIQ Spyware

This CarrierIQ Spyware (Google this, if you want to find out more) deal is really starting to heat up.  Yes, it is present on the Vivid, and probably other ATT HTC phones too.  Not only is it starting to get some national media attention, but the U.S. Senate is now also taking an interest.

Let's hope they can force a removal of this nasty bit of spyware!

Message 27 of 92
Professor

TrevE on XDA has developed a logging test program that can detect Carrier IQ.

The Pro license can be purchased on the Android Market:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.treve.loggingkey&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEs...

But the license for pro version is only needed to remove Carrier IQ.  The app itself is actually free and can be downloaded from XDA.  Webpage is linked (in Description) on the Market page I linked above.  Many features require root.

Message 31 of 92
Contributor

How can we stop Carrier IQ?

An article in Wired Magazine and a supporting video present a convincing case that the Carrier IQ app on all our phones is violating our collective privacy.

I'd like to know who is using the data?

And I'd like AT+T to revise the protection on this software so it can be removed.  Are you listening AT+T?

Message 1 of 92
Guru

Re: How can we stop Carrier IQ?

Root, and change ROMS, Which voids warranty.
Message 2 of 92
Contributor

i tried to give kudos to this post but I apparently can't. I completely agree that Carrier IQ must go. I have a Skyrocket and I keep getting a process called IQ Agent Service. That I keep stopping but that keeps starting again.

Message 3 of 92
Expert

MonroviaWayne wrote:

An article in Wired Magazine and a supporting video present a convincing case that the Carrier IQ app on all our phones is violating our collective privacy.

I'd like to know who is using the data?

And I'd like AT+T to revise the protection on this software so it can be removed.  Are you listening AT+T?

ATT did nothing here, it pretty much is HTC and any other phone manufacturer that is doing it. went through the proceedure to determine if it was running on one of HTC inspires and did not see the system modules in question running

Message 4 of 92
Guru

I don't think CIQ is on the Inspire. I know it's on the Skyrocket, and possibly on the Vivid. It's just recently started.
Message 7 of 92
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support