Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Carrier IQ is hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities... Full Article/Video

Grant Paul, a well-known iPhone hacker who goes by the screenname "chpwn", wrote on his blog that Apple has included Carrier IQ on the iPhone, but the software's default is disabled.

Message 5 of 92
Expert

Re: Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

bwwhitlock1 wrote:

@tammystar, where did you hear or see a statement from AT&T that said "At&t has publically announced that it is in the i-phone and that future phones won't have it and they will be sending out a software update to users that will remove it."?

Cant find such a statement anywhere in my searches and I'd love to have a reference in case of future discussions with AT&T

tnx

would be interesting to know the answer to that also, since any forward facing rep would not have access to that information and the legal staff of ANY company would make a flat statement that if anyone is asked concerning it to forward the inquiry to the legal department. Doubt there is one that is that can be validated as coming from a authorized source

Message 61 of 92
Teacher

Sounds more like the Apple official statement.

"We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so."

Just Google Apple CIQ. It's everywhere.

Message 62 of 92

As far I'm concerned, AT&T can no longer be trusted. What will they try next? What else have they done?

My phone is clean but without any sense of mutual respect or trust, I'm gone when my contract is up.

Message 63 of 92
Teacher

shortcircuit wrote:

As far I'm concerned, AT&T can no longer be trusted. What will they try next? What else have they done?

My phone is clean but without any sense of mutual respect or trust, I'm gone when my contract is up.

Agree 100%! Being their updates come out at a snails pace, they had not got around to putting it on my wife's or my phone "YET".

Took me forever to loose my Crackberry because of trust issues, now it turns out AT&T is the culprit!

Widely known Cingular changed their name to AT&T due to brand recognition. What's their next name gonna be? I-SPY

I agree that the software "MAY" not have been collecting anything sensitive "YET", but the fact it could is a deal breaker for me. Plus the fact they were installing software to fully wire tap and record conversations on any one phone (without a warrant) is already installed on a whole lot of phones, if you did NOT wear a tin foil hat already.......

Sorry kids, no early upgrades on my business account this yearSmiley Sad, but we will get a brand new carrier and  phones next yearSmiley Very Happy And since their excutive customer service refused to retun my calls, the switchover date is on my outlook calendar already.

Message 64 of 92

You do realize that, at this point, I believe all the major carriers have been implicated in this? Where are you planning on going? Credo?

shortcircuit wrote:

Message 65 of 92
Teacher

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

You do realize that, at this point, I believe all the major carriers have been implicated in this? Where are you planning on going? Credo?

shortcircuit wrote:

Verizon thus far is clean.......... Kind of like 7-UP, never had it, never will!

Message 66 of 92
Highlighted

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Verizon thus far is clean.......... Kind of like 7-UP, never had it, never will!

Where did you hear that?  Someone posted proof that it is on VZW as well...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 67 of 92
Master

@hidden_dragon
A VZW executive has stated that CarrierIQ is not on their phones. I can't find the link at the moment and honesty I am not sure how long the link would last on this forum anyway.

I have also used Lookout's app to test a Verizon phone (stock and not rooted) and the phone didn't have CarrierIQ on the phone.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.carrieriqdetector
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 68 of 92
Teacher

hidden_dragon wrote:

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Here is the article I was quoting. Where is the one that has the proof that Verizon is using Carrier IQ?

verizon-no-carrieriq-no-way

Message 69 of 92
Teacher

hidden_dragon wrote:

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Searched some more looking for the "proof" Carrier IQ  is on Verizon phones, could NOT find the "proof", but I did find the below(see link)........ 

Also, it turns out it is NOT on my Inspire 4G or my wife’s Galaxy (need proof?), so I will stick around until my contract is finished, being AT&T got worst wireless carrier of the year again(it appears Carrier IQ does not work so well at improving networks), it is time for a change and this made it easier!

No carrierIQ for Verizon
Message 70 of 92
Teacher

Carrier IQ Who IS Responsible for it.

AT&T and the manufacturers are both responsible for Carrier IQ. HTC said it has no relationship with Carrier IQ, but this is what Carrier IQ's rep said:

"So a carrier says we want information A, B, and C, and so you go to the manufacturer and say "let's work together to get that information for the carrier."

Yes, that's right"

If you read the whole article, you can see why this software / firmware should not be on your devices, period.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/5/2609662/carrier-iq-interview

Then compare what you've read with this from Neilson:

http://www.mdv.com/press-room/press-releases/nielsen-and-carrier-iq-form-global-alliance-measure-mob...

Nothing from AT&T directly yet, but we need to hear as customers of AT&T that it is gone, for good.

Message 71 of 92
Contributor

Re: Carrier IQ Who IS Responsible for it.

junkstuff wrote:

Nothing from AT&T directly yet, but we need to hear as customers of AT&T that it is gone, for good.

Don't hold your breath on that.

Message 72 of 92

Well, then how do you explain this? And Verizon's Samsung phones seem to be running something called Keytracer, but they're awfully quick to say that's Samsung's fault.

My prediction is that Verizon won't escape this scandal entirely unscathed.

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Message 73 of 92
Teacher

Re: Carrier IQ Who IS Responsible for it.

Doppelgänger wrote:

junkstuff wrote:

Don't hold your breath on that.

Funny though, I posted some informative information in that message that everyone should read and no comment about that.  However, to help alleviate your concerns... I'm not holding my breath, I'm actively participating in righting a wrong. Others will ignore the problem, but one cannot do anything for the complacent. Smiley Wink

Message 74 of 92
Teacher

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Well, then how do you explain this? And Verizon's Samsung phones seem to be running something called Keytracer, but they're awfully quick to say that's Samsung's fault.

My prediction is that Verizon won't escape this scandal entirely unscathed.

Exactly. Carrier IQ is not the only company manufacturing spyware. If you watch the new Verizon Droid commercial, it shows the phone keeping track of what you read in your morning paper, your favorite websites,  and then helpfully uploads that information while your asleep. Sounds familiar to me. There will be more revelations, I'm sure.
Message 75 of 92
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support