Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 1, 2011
7:36:52 AM
Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Carrier IQ is hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities... Full Article/Video

Grant Paul, a well-known iPhone hacker who goes by the screenname "chpwn", wrote on his blog that Apple has included Carrier IQ on the iPhone, but the software's default is disabled.

Carrier IQ is hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities... Full Article/Video

Grant Paul, a well-known iPhone hacker who goes by the screenname "chpwn", wrote on his blog that Apple has included Carrier IQ on the iPhone, but the software's default is disabled.

Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

91 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(91)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 3:43:01 AM
(0)
Expert

bwwhitlock1 wrote:

@tammystar, where did you hear or see a statement from AT&T that said "At&t has publically announced that it is in the i-phone and that future phones won't have it and they will be sending out a software update to users that will remove it."?

Cant find such a statement anywhere in my searches and I'd love to have a reference in case of future discussions with AT&T

tnx

would be interesting to know the answer to that also, since any forward facing rep would not have access to that information and the legal staff of ANY company would make a flat statement that if anyone is asked concerning it to forward the inquiry to the legal department. Doubt there is one that is that can be validated as coming from a authorized source

bwwhitlock1 wrote:

@tammystar, where did you hear or see a statement from AT&T that said "At&t has publically announced that it is in the i-phone and that future phones won't have it and they will be sending out a software update to users that will remove it."?

Cant find such a statement anywhere in my searches and I'd love to have a reference in case of future discussions with AT&T

tnx

would be interesting to know the answer to that also, since any forward facing rep would not have access to that information and the legal staff of ANY company would make a flat statement that if anyone is asked concerning it to forward the inquiry to the legal department. Doubt there is one that is that can be validated as coming from a authorized source

Re: Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

61 of 92 (1,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 8:54:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sounds more like the Apple official statement.

"We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so."

Just Google Apple CIQ. It's everywhere.

Sounds more like the Apple official statement.

"We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so."

Just Google Apple CIQ. It's everywhere.

62 of 92 (1,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 12:58:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

As far I'm concerned, AT&T can no longer be trusted. What will they try next? What else have they done?

My phone is clean but without any sense of mutual respect or trust, I'm gone when my contract is up.

As far I'm concerned, AT&T can no longer be trusted. What will they try next? What else have they done?

My phone is clean but without any sense of mutual respect or trust, I'm gone when my contract is up.

63 of 92 (1,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 2:11:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

shortcircuit wrote:

Agree 100%! Being their updates come out at a snails pace, they had not got around to putting it on my wife's or my phone "YET".

Took me forever to loose my Crackberry because of trust issues, now it turns out AT&T is the culprit!

Widely known Cingular changed their name to AT&T due to brand recognition. What's their next name gonna be? I-SPY

I agree that the software "MAY" not have been collecting anything sensitive "YET", but the fact it could is a deal breaker for me. Plus the fact they were installing software to fully wire tap and record conversations on any one phone (without a warrant) is already installed on a whole lot of phones, if you did NOT wear a tin foil hat already.......

Sorry kids, no early upgrades on my business account this yearSmiley Sad, but we will get a brand new carrier and  phones next yearSmiley Very Happy And since their excutive customer service refused to retun my calls, the switchover date is on my outlook calendar already.

shortcircuit wrote:

Agree 100%! Being their updates come out at a snails pace, they had not got around to putting it on my wife's or my phone "YET".

Took me forever to loose my Crackberry because of trust issues, now it turns out AT&T is the culprit!

Widely known Cingular changed their name to AT&T due to brand recognition. What's their next name gonna be? I-SPY

I agree that the software "MAY" not have been collecting anything sensitive "YET", but the fact it could is a deal breaker for me. Plus the fact they were installing software to fully wire tap and record conversations on any one phone (without a warrant) is already installed on a whole lot of phones, if you did NOT wear a tin foil hat already.......

Sorry kids, no early upgrades on my business account this yearSmiley Sad, but we will get a brand new carrier and  phones next yearSmiley Very Happy And since their excutive customer service refused to retun my calls, the switchover date is on my outlook calendar already.

64 of 92 (1,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2011 8:57:39 AM
(0)
Guru

You do realize that, at this point, I believe all the major carriers have been implicated in this? Where are you planning on going? Credo?

shortcircuit wrote:

You do realize that, at this point, I believe all the major carriers have been implicated in this? Where are you planning on going? Credo?

shortcircuit wrote:

65 of 92 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2011 10:38:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Verizon thus far is clean.......... Kind of like 7-UP, never had it, never will!

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Verizon thus far is clean.......... Kind of like 7-UP, never had it, never will!

66 of 92 (1,335 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 4:17:11 PM
(0)
Expert

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Where did you hear that?  Someone posted proof that it is on VZW as well...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

67 of 92 (1,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 8:17:03 AM
(0)
Master
@hidden_dragon
A VZW executive has stated that CarrierIQ is not on their phones. I can't find the link at the moment and honesty I am not sure how long the link would last on this forum anyway.

I have also used Lookout's app to test a Verizon phone (stock and not rooted) and the phone didn't have CarrierIQ on the phone.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.carrieriqdetector
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
@hidden_dragon
A VZW executive has stated that CarrierIQ is not on their phones. I can't find the link at the moment and honesty I am not sure how long the link would last on this forum anyway.

I have also used Lookout's app to test a Verizon phone (stock and not rooted) and the phone didn't have CarrierIQ on the phone.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.carrieriqdetector
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

68 of 92 (1,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 9:23:40 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by pmsmith533 on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:40:52 AM

hidden_dragon wrote:

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Here is the article I was quoting. Where is the one that has the proof that Verizon is using Carrier IQ?

verizon-no-carrieriq-no-way

hidden_dragon wrote:

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Here is the article I was quoting. Where is the one that has the proof that Verizon is using Carrier IQ?

verizon-no-carrieriq-no-way

[ Edited ]
69 of 92 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 9:39:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

hidden_dragon wrote:

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Searched some more looking for the "proof" Carrier IQ  is on Verizon phones, could NOT find the "proof", but I did find the below(see link)........ 

Also, it turns out it is NOT on my Inspire 4G or my wife’s Galaxy (need proof?), so I will stick around until my contract is finished, being AT&T got worst wireless carrier of the year again(it appears Carrier IQ does not work so well at improving networks), it is time for a change and this made it easier!

No carrierIQ for Verizon

hidden_dragon wrote:

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Searched some more looking for the "proof" Carrier IQ  is on Verizon phones, could NOT find the "proof", but I did find the below(see link)........ 

Also, it turns out it is NOT on my Inspire 4G or my wife’s Galaxy (need proof?), so I will stick around until my contract is finished, being AT&T got worst wireless carrier of the year again(it appears Carrier IQ does not work so well at improving networks), it is time for a change and this made it easier!

No carrierIQ for Verizon

70 of 92 (1,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 10:59:35 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by junkstuff on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:02:49 AM

AT&T and the manufacturers are both responsible for Carrier IQ. HTC said it has no relationship with Carrier IQ, but this is what Carrier IQ's rep said:

"So a carrier says we want information A, B, and C, and so you go to the manufacturer and say "let's work together to get that information for the carrier."

Yes, that's right"

If you read the whole article, you can see why this software / firmware should not be on your devices, period.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/5/2609662/carrier-iq-interview

Then compare what you've read with this from Neilson:

http://www.mdv.com/press-room/press-releases/nielsen-and-carrier-iq-form-global-alliance-measure-mob...

Nothing from AT&T directly yet, but we need to hear as customers of AT&T that it is gone, for good.

AT&T and the manufacturers are both responsible for Carrier IQ. HTC said it has no relationship with Carrier IQ, but this is what Carrier IQ's rep said:

"So a carrier says we want information A, B, and C, and so you go to the manufacturer and say "let's work together to get that information for the carrier."

Yes, that's right"

If you read the whole article, you can see why this software / firmware should not be on your devices, period.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/5/2609662/carrier-iq-interview

Then compare what you've read with this from Neilson:

http://www.mdv.com/press-room/press-releases/nielsen-and-carrier-iq-form-global-alliance-measure-mobile-service-quality

Nothing from AT&T directly yet, but we need to hear as customers of AT&T that it is gone, for good.

Carrier IQ Who IS Responsible for it.

[ Edited ]
71 of 92 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 1:48:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

junkstuff wrote:

Don't hold your breath on that.

junkstuff wrote:

Re: Carrier IQ Who IS Responsible for it.

72 of 92 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 7:00:40 AM
(0)
Guru

Well, then how do you explain this? And Verizon's Samsung phones seem to be running something called Keytracer, but they're awfully quick to say that's Samsung's fault.

My prediction is that Verizon won't escape this scandal entirely unscathed.

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

Well, then how do you explain this? And Verizon's Samsung phones seem to be running something called Keytracer, but they're awfully quick to say that's Samsung's fault.

pmsmith533 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

shortcircuit wrote:

73 of 92 (1,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 9:39:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

Doppelgänger wrote:

junkstuff wrote:

Funny though, I posted some informative information in that message that everyone should read and no comment about that.  However, to help alleviate your concerns... I'm not holding my breath, I'm actively participating in righting a wrong. Others will ignore the problem, but one cannot do anything for the complacent. Smiley Wink

Doppelgänger wrote:

junkstuff wrote:

Funny though, I posted some informative information in that message that everyone should read and no comment about that.  However, to help alleviate your concerns... I'm not holding my breath, I'm actively participating in righting a wrong. Others will ignore the problem, but one cannot do anything for the complacent. Smiley Wink

Re: Carrier IQ Who IS Responsible for it.

74 of 92 (1,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 9:44:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Exactly. Carrier IQ is not the only company manufacturing spyware. If you watch the new Verizon Droid commercial, it shows the phone keeping track of what you read in your morning paper, your favorite websites,  and then helpfully uploads that information while your asleep. Sounds familiar to me. There will be more revelations, I'm sure.

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Exactly. Carrier IQ is not the only company manufacturing spyware. If you watch the new Verizon Droid commercial, it shows the phone keeping track of what you read in your morning paper, your favorite websites,  and then helpfully uploads that information while your asleep. Sounds familiar to me. There will be more revelations, I'm sure.

75 of 92 (1,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 1:15:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Muckrock.com gets a backhanded acknowledgement about law enforcement use of Carrier IQ from the FBI.

Muckrock.com gets a backhanded acknowledgement about law enforcement use of Carrier IQ from the FBI.

Webzine files FOIA request to FBI on Carrier IQ and gets interesting result

76 of 92 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 1:51:40 PM
(0)
Expert

PBCliberal wrote:

/rofl "backhanded"? More like normal 5th estate claims to sell hits or hard copy, pure "reporter" speculation and accusation with no basis in fact.

"What is still unclear is whether the FBI used Carrier IQ's software in its own investigations, whether it is currently investigating Carrier IQ, or whether it is some combination of both - not unlikely given the recent uproar over the practice

PBCliberal wrote:

/rofl "backhanded"? More like normal 5th estate claims to sell hits or hard copy, pure "reporter" speculation and accusation with no basis in fact.

"What is still unclear is whether the FBI used Carrier IQ's software in its own investigations, whether it is currently investigating Carrier IQ, or whether it is some combination of both - not unlikely given the recent uproar over the practice

Re: Webzine files FOIA request to FBI on Carrier IQ and gets interesting result

77 of 92 (1,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 8:45:45 PM
(0)
Tutor
Atrix 2 has it
Atrix 2 has it

Re: Webzine files FOIA request to FBI on Carrier IQ and gets interesting result

78 of 92 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2012 7:04:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Androidspin is reporting that the latest update of the Atrix 2 is now Carrier IQ free, and that the Motorola update log refers to this as "greater device security" which is a direct contraction to the AT&T position which still appears to be that Carrier IQ is not a security problem.

A source at HTC reports that the company is still working on the promised fix that will remove Carrier IQ from the Vivid. There is also the rumor that Ice Cream Sandwich for the Vivid is about to roll out.

Androidspin is reporting that the latest update of the Atrix 2 is now Carrier IQ free, and that the Motorola update log refers to this as "greater device security" which is a direct contraction to the AT&T position which still appears to be that Carrier IQ is not a security problem.

A source at HTC reports that the company is still working on the promised fix that will remove Carrier IQ from the Vivid. There is also the rumor that Ice Cream Sandwich for the Vivid is about to roll out.

Atrix 2 now reported Carrier IQ free

79 of 92 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2012 7:21:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

I can confirm that after installing the Motorola update 55.13.25.MB865.ATT.en.US I scanned the phone using the NetIQ detector built by Lookout security and it now reports Carrier IQ is not my the Atrix 2.

I am a happy camper with this change!

I can confirm that after installing the Motorola update 55.13.25.MB865.ATT.en.US I scanned the phone using the NetIQ detector built by Lookout security and it now reports Carrier IQ is not my the Atrix 2.

I am a happy camper with this change!

Re: Atrix 2 now reported Carrier IQ free

80 of 92 (1,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2012 11:13:06 PM
(0)
Guru

Carrier IQ was no threat at all. I honestly didn't understand what the fuss is about. I'm suprised people are still concerned about this.

Carrier IQ was no threat at all. I honestly didn't understand what the fuss is about. I'm suprised people are still concerned about this.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

81 of 92 (1,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2012 12:49:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

You're welcome to believe that, and I'd support your right to install it as an opt-in if you believe the benefits outweigh the potential security risks. Much of the outrage centered on the way it was integrated; forced on the phone by carriers who mandated its inclusion by OEMs in a way it could not easily be detected by the people who bought the phones.

The whole idea behind Android is that you get to choose what you install on your phone and what you don't. In order to help you decide what to expose, every application lists what it accesses in the app description so you can decide what to download.

CarrierIQ has access to every function on the phone, from individual keypresses to real-time GPS data to SMS and MMS traffic, to call data. What of this data is sent and where it is sent is configurable by Carrier IQ and its clients, and we already have at least one example of data being sent out that was not asked for and not intended to be sent (see Carrier IQ's responses to Senator Franken).

This software is able to be updated without the owner's permission and without any notice being given to the phone's owner; theoretically this update process can only be initiated by Carrier IQ or the carriers, but hackers do get into places they shouldn't. So you don't give access to anything you aren't willing to send out.

This isn't a question of AT&T's intentions; monitoring the network is a good idea. It is a question of the way this was designed and implemented. Most of the major security violations in consumer software weren't the result of intentional violations of user privacy. They were explotations of buggy and insecure software. There are bugs in Carrier IQ, and there is no more insecure design plan than to hand one external application an unencrypted copy of nearly every piece of secure data on the phone.

You're welcome to believe that, and I'd support your right to install it as an opt-in if you believe the benefits outweigh the potential security risks. Much of the outrage centered on the way it was integrated; forced on the phone by carriers who mandated its inclusion by OEMs in a way it could not easily be detected by the people who bought the phones.

The whole idea behind Android is that you get to choose what you install on your phone and what you don't. In order to help you decide what to expose, every application lists what it accesses in the app description so you can decide what to download.

CarrierIQ has access to every function on the phone, from individual keypresses to real-time GPS data to SMS and MMS traffic, to call data. What of this data is sent and where it is sent is configurable by Carrier IQ and its clients, and we already have at least one example of data being sent out that was not asked for and not intended to be sent (see Carrier IQ's responses to Senator Franken).

This software is able to be updated without the owner's permission and without any notice being given to the phone's owner; theoretically this update process can only be initiated by Carrier IQ or the carriers, but hackers do get into places they shouldn't. So you don't give access to anything you aren't willing to send out.

This isn't a question of AT&T's intentions; monitoring the network is a good idea. It is a question of the way this was designed and implemented. Most of the major security violations in consumer software weren't the result of intentional violations of user privacy. They were explotations of buggy and insecure software. There are bugs in Carrier IQ, and there is no more insecure design plan than to hand one external application an unencrypted copy of nearly every piece of secure data on the phone.

Why Carrier IQ is a concern for me

82 of 92 (1,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2012 9:58:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

aristizzle wrote:

Unbelievable! I can't believe there aren't more people concerned about this! There are other ways to monitor the network, besides installing spyware. If AT&T spent more money on actually improving their networks, like making 3G and 4G, LTE (All bogus marketing terms.) available to their clients, then people wouldn't have the problems they do. I live 30 minutes away from a major city that has LTE, in an unobstucted area, with a clear line of sight to that city and I can't even get 3G, let alone 4G, or LTE. Nobody can, so I know it's not just here. Worse than that, the Vivid and Skyrocket phones are actually reporting _every data connection_ as 4G, when in fact it's not. So not only did they install spyware, they *knew* their networks were so inadiquate, the Vivid and Skyrocket both were sent out falsly reporting data speed connections. A thing AT&T cannot blame soley on one manufacturer and shows you are either uninformed, or trying to put a flame out that should have never been started in the first place. How about honest service from AT&T, instead of these tricks...

aristizzle wrote:

Unbelievable! I can't believe there aren't more people concerned about this! There are other ways to monitor the network, besides installing spyware. If AT&T spent more money on actually improving their networks, like making 3G and 4G, LTE (All bogus marketing terms.) available to their clients, then people wouldn't have the problems they do. I live 30 minutes away from a major city that has LTE, in an unobstucted area, with a clear line of sight to that city and I can't even get 3G, let alone 4G, or LTE. Nobody can, so I know it's not just here. Worse than that, the Vivid and Skyrocket phones are actually reporting _every data connection_ as 4G, when in fact it's not. So not only did they install spyware, they *knew* their networks were so inadiquate, the Vivid and Skyrocket both were sent out falsly reporting data speed connections. A thing AT&T cannot blame soley on one manufacturer and shows you are either uninformed, or trying to put a flame out that should have never been started in the first place. How about honest service from AT&T, instead of these tricks...

83 of 92 (1,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2012 9:23:35 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by crk4385 on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:24:46 PM

When I first read about this Carrier IQ program being on smart phones, I was not a happy camper.  This program being on iPhones is one reason that I do not have one.  I would not like the idea of my data being collected and used.  I really hope that in the next update of the iphone, that the Carrier IQ program is not put on the phone.  Is the Carrier IQ program on older versions of the iPhone (iPhone 3G, 3G S, etc.)?  The reason that I ask this question is because I did not start to hear about Carrier IQ until after the iPhone 4 was released.

When I first read about this Carrier IQ program being on smart phones, I was not a happy camper.  This program being on iPhones is one reason that I do not have one.  I would not like the idea of my data being collected and used.  I really hope that in the next update of the iphone, that the Carrier IQ program is not put on the phone.  Is the Carrier IQ program on older versions of the iPhone (iPhone 3G, 3G S, etc.)?  The reason that I ask this question is because I did not start to hear about Carrier IQ until after the iPhone 4 was released.

[ Edited ]
84 of 92 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 10:54:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

crk4385 wrote:

There are several apps out there for searching CIQ out on your phone. The lists I've seen are pretty consistent, but there are some variations of opinions as to what's active and what is not. Here's a list and they have more stories / links available from here:

http://gizmodo.com/5868732/the-complete-list-of-all-the-phones-with-carrier-iq-spyware-installed

crk4385 wrote:

There are several apps out there for searching CIQ out on your phone. The lists I've seen are pretty consistent, but there are some variations of opinions as to what's active and what is not. Here's a list and they have more stories / links available from here:

http://gizmodo.com/5868732/the-complete-list-of-all-the-phones-with-carrier-iq-spyware-installed

85 of 92 (1,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 12:32:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

The assertion that CarrierIQ is not active on the HTC Vivid is not entirely correct. I know AT&T said this in response to Senator Franken's letter, but as early as December 1, I found IQ Agent running on my Vivid in a way it could not be stopped. 

EFF reverse engineered  Carrier IQ and discovered multiple parts to the program, so it is possible that all parts are not enabled, but one part definately is running and taking CPU cycles and battery power. What AT&T means by "not active" needs to be viewed as the same potential doublespeak as "it is not a security risk" and "HTC is entirely responsible and you should call them."

The assertion that CarrierIQ is not active on the HTC Vivid is not entirely correct. I know AT&T said this in response to Senator Franken's letter, but as early as December 1, I found IQ Agent running on my Vivid in a way it could not be stopped. 

EFF reverse engineered  Carrier IQ and discovered multiple parts to the program, so it is possible that all parts are not enabled, but one part definately is running and taking CPU cycles and battery power. What AT&T means by "not active" needs to be viewed as the same potential doublespeak as "it is not a security risk" and "HTC is entirely responsible and you should call them."

86 of 92 (1,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 6:51:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

I wonder how much more battery life we HTC Vivid owners would have  if CarrierIQ and CityID were uninstalled?

I wonder how much more battery life we HTC Vivid owners would have  if CarrierIQ and CityID were uninstalled?

87 of 92 (1,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2012 1:50:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

rdcinhou wrote:

Oh I can answer this easily. I have an unlocked Vivid, with CIQ removed and a baked properly clocked ROM running at 1512 MHz. It's night and day better than stock. Put it another way, my modded Skyrocket was hands down the winner in the battery department, but now the modded Vivid runs exactly the same. I can run videos, listen to music, etc. all day long and still have 60% battery left. After I de-sensed the ROM, it fixed a ton of problems as well. I feel bad for people trying to run the Vivid stock. Now HTC has delayed the release of ICS until later this year, which is also a bad thing.

rdcinhou wrote:

Oh I can answer this easily. I have an unlocked Vivid, with CIQ removed and a baked properly clocked ROM running at 1512 MHz. It's night and day better than stock. Put it another way, my modded Skyrocket was hands down the winner in the battery department, but now the modded Vivid runs exactly the same. I can run videos, listen to music, etc. all day long and still have 60% battery left. After I de-sensed the ROM, it fixed a ton of problems as well. I feel bad for people trying to run the Vivid stock. Now HTC has delayed the release of ICS until later this year, which is also a bad thing.

88 of 92 (1,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 12:12:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

What is the status of carrier IQ ?  Is at&t going to remove it or just hope everyone forgets about it ?

What is the status of carrier IQ ?  Is at&t going to remove it or just hope everyone forgets about it ?

Carrier IQ and at&t

89 of 92 (1,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 12:14:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

Who cares about carrier IQ?

Who cares about carrier IQ?

Re: Carrier IQ and at&t

90 of 92 (1,135 Views)