Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Carrier IQ is hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities... Full Article/Video

Grant Paul, a well-known iPhone hacker who goes by the screenname "chpwn", wrote on his blog that Apple has included Carrier IQ on the iPhone, but the software's default is disabled.

Message 5 of 92 (4,941 Views)
Teacher

Re: How can we stop Carrier IQ?

pmsmith533 wrote:

Called their Executive customer service yesterday about this, they never called back! I work in a business that we do have real government security clearances. Because of the stupid camera they barely allow us to have a phone anyway, this looks like it will be a deal killer. My wife, a sheriffs deputy, guess we will both be back to Motorola Razors.

Need a list of phones affected by this spyware to know whether I need to file a data breach with security or not. I see Senator Franken is on it, the 14th is not soon enough, I use my phone everyday!

Funny how AT&T and Carrier IQ are the only 2 that have not made a statement about this.

I give it till Friday and if I don’t have a list of effected phones, I am calling it a breach of contract and heading for Verizon, they can fight the California Public utilities commission for their ETF. I read over the privacy agreement, it does cover this and is called a breech of contract……..

What phones do you have?  It's mainly newer devices.

Confirmed Infected:

Skyrocket

Probably infected:

HTC Vivid

Confirmed Clean:

Galaxy S II (SGH-I777)

Samsung Infuse (current Froyo firmware - the AT&T Gingerbread leaks have it, so did the Rogers UXKG3 release in Canada)

Samsung Captivate (AT&T Gingerbread leaks might have it)

The list here is Samsung-heavy as I own Samsung devices and develop for them.  (I maintain a custom kernel series for the I777, and maintained one for the Infuse until giving it to my parents.)

I have a 4G Inspire with 2.3.3 and my Wife has a Samsung Galaxy (older one) with I think the same firmware.

My supervisor has a Sprint EVO and Carrier IQ is clearly listed in his apps, but he is not a techie, so nothing major to worry about.

We are NOT allowed to root or sideload because of this kind of thing, then then the people I pay $225++ a month for service do it to us!

Great phone, spent some $$$$$ on apps(Electronic enginnering, calcs, unit converters), it would be a shame to have to give it up because of a nosey carrier. My 2 biggest worries are: can they turn on the camera and can they see my calculations through key strokes? Small worry about texts, but most of that goes through NIPR and SIPR nets. Wife is more worried about banking and passwords.

I am a 48YO engineer that has been working defense my entire life, all I can say is what are these people thinking?Adding manchurian software to phones! I gave up my Blackberry becuase of all the software on the Android.

Still no callback from AT&T excutive customer service, even called them again last night. If it is not on this phone, I will just use it untill it dies and switch to Verizon, if it is on the phone, our attorneys have already reviewed AT&T's privacy policy, I change carriers and we take the ETF's to court (Me, my wife and 3 kids.....)

Message 32 of 92 (1,313 Views)
Teacher

One I forgot!

If this software is supposed to "Improve" customer experience, it is not working! In my area of the country there are coverage holes the size of cities that they show full coverage on thier maps. Their solution......... MICROCELLS?

Message 33 of 92 (1,311 Views)
Teacher

Re: Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Ok my professional opinion. 1st. Carrier IQ IS on the Vivid and active, for those of you who asked and weren't sure. You don't want this on your phone, let alone active. It can be hacked, activated and exploited. Also importantly, this software / firmware uses valuable resources, both in processing and in memory, it WILL slow your phone down.  There is a whole lot of bad Carrier IQ can do, or be made to do, believe it. It should not have been there in the first place. It IS a virus and unless these devices were unlocked / rooted / s-off, or AT&T and the contracted manufacturer of your device released an update removing the software entirely, you are stuck with this severe security issue . I'm extremely upset AT&T would contract a phone from HTC (And the others.) and release these devices with Carrier IQ. This has to be stopped immediately. As a footnote, the new Droid Razr, HAS to have this software as well, but it may be under a different name. Watch their new commerical, it even talks about uploading your saved information while you're sleeping. This is about security, privacy and usability. Don't take no for an answer and people who comment here, please read everything about it. There are a lot of people who obviously don't know enough to take this breach of security seriously enough. I pulled my batter, SD and SIM card. Right now I'm using my old phone and I'll probably have to return my shiny new HTC Vivid, which is unfortunate.

Message 34 of 92 (1,287 Views)
Tutor

Re: Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

oops. ATT just made a huge HIPPA violation. As a health professional I am confident there are tens of thousands of health care professionals that use locked phones with pins for HIPPA compliance. but if the pin lock is negated by ATT carrier IQ, and they are a clearinghouse as defined by CMS....

https://www.cms.gov/HIPAAGenInfo/Downloads/CoveredEntitycharts.pdf

Then they just might lose some money to the feds on this one. Time to sell my ATT stock even though the dividends are 6%

Message 35 of 92 (1,249 Views)

wingrider01 wrote:

ATT did nothing here, it pretty much is HTC and any other phone manufacturer that is doing it. went through the proceedure to determine if it was running on one of HTC inspires and did not see the system modules in question running

The CarrierIQ Spyware was installed on the HTC Vivid at AT&T's insistence.

Message 36 of 92 (1,247 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

DUTCH VanAtlanta wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

ATT did nothing here, it pretty much is HTC and any other phone manufacturer that is doing it. went through the proceedure to determine if it was running on one of HTC inspires and did not see the system modules in question running

The CarrierIQ Spyware was installed on the HTC Vivid at AT&T's insistence.

must be the only one then, have a inspire and a number of other htc androind based phones in the junk drawer for the developers without it. there is so much fud being spread about this no one has any idea what is actually happening, sorry if you don;t think so but the 5th estate tends to blow things out of proportion - doesn;t matter what the facts are or even if they are true. Funny the first reports where primarily android based phones now all of a sudden it is claimed that all different phones have it, typical 5th estate market share.

Message 37 of 92 (1,240 Views)
Highlighted

HTC will offer software update to remove Carrier IQ from Vivid

After several days of stonewalling and attempting to blame everyone from HTC to Google, on a conference call this afternoon a representative from HTC and AT&T confirmed that HTC will be offering a patch which will allow CarrierIQ to be removed from the Vivid without violating the warranty.

There was not timeframe on the release of the software but, given the recent attention in the press, the HTC rep believes it will be "sooner rather than later."

Message 38 of 92 (1,220 Views)
Teacher

must be the only one then, have a inspire and a number of other htc androind based phones in the junk drawer for the developers without it. there is so much fud being spread about this no one has any idea what is actually happening, sorry if you don;t think so but the 5th estate tends to blow things out of proportion - doesn;t matter what the facts are or even if they are true. Funny the first reports where primarily android based phones now all of a sudden it is claimed that all different phones have it, typical 5th estate market share.

(My eyes were bleeding doing research on unlocking / Rooting and s-off for my Vivid, before this topic came out, now they're really on fire.)  In this thread there are links to the manufacturers and the carriers who have copped to using Carrier IQ, so I'm inclined to take their words for it, since it wouldn't behoove them to admit such. The other thing is Trev's results are verifiable, so I'm not sure what facts to what you refer. I've read a lot of the news reports, I was following the story on xda-developers before this broke and we all have been working hard on getting the word out, so people will know what a danger Carrier IQ is. Trev developed an app which identifies whether or not Carrier IQ is on your device. It's still in development, but you can read about it and get the app here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17612559&postcount=110

This is not a joke, or PR thing, this is a  real security threat and what the people choose to do with the information is up to them. I guess many people will make light of it, but a lot of work went into verifying the truth of what Carrier IQ really does and what it can be made to do. I don't say this lightly and this really breaks my heart. I wanted my Vivid, (Which is really a pad with a phone built in it and not the other way around.), to work like any other Android based pad. If AT&T, or the others wanted to improve their network, they could start by installing more towers and making *real* 4G networking available in all areas. I've been in networking and PCs forever, Carrier IQ can and probably does cause other problems and who is going to tell AT&T that. The way it's incorporated into the Kernel, there's no way to tell if your having a processor problem, an O.S. problem, an app problem, or any combination thereof. It's serious..

Message 39 of 92 (1,211 Views)
Contributor

Even we forget about privacy concerns... Can you imagine what should happen, if someone or some APP would get a hold of your banking, credit card, paypal or amazon.com passwords thanks to Carrier IQ...
Message 40 of 92 (1,187 Views)
Teacher

Re: HTC will offer software update to remove Carrier IQ from Vivid

About the forthcoming patch for the vivid announced by HTC and ATT in a conference call.

First I've heard. Can't find confirmation in the places I've looked. Please provide source and site link.

Thanks

Message 41 of 92 (1,071 Views)

Re: Does the AT&T Motorola Atrix 4G have the Carrier IQ spyware installed?

[ Edited ]

Not sure about Atrix 4G but my new Atrix 2 has it. it is under the name Device Health Application.

I contacted Motorola and there response is that loading Carrier IQ is the carrier's decision (AT&T) and they have not announced any plan to provide a patch or update to disable Carrier IQ yet.

Unless AT&T agrees to provide a solution for the Atrix 2, the only solution seems to be to root the phone using a method provided by XDA Developers forum and then there are a couple of android market apps such as the TrevE's logging app (pro version) that can selective seek out Carrier IQ (regardless of the name it is hiding under) and remove it.

Message 42 of 92 (1,057 Views)

Re: HTC will offer software update to remove Carrier IQ from Vivid

My conversation (actually my fourth attempt) with an AT&T rep responding to our complaints about the spyware and how we can remove it. More details here.

Message 43 of 92 (1,061 Views)
Scholar

I have a 4-week-old HTC Vivid.

HTC IQAgent is on it listed as a "service" not an app.

Attempts to force closed are unsuccessful.

This app alone may be the reason why the Vivid gets such poor battery life (charge 3x daily).

Message 44 of 92 (1,040 Views)
Expert

junkstuff wrote:

(My eyes were bleeding doing research on unlocking / Rooting and s-off for my Vivid, before this topic came out, now they're really on fire.)  In this thread there are links to the manufacturers and the carriers who have copped to using Carrier IQ, so I'm inclined to take their words for it, since it wouldn't behoove them to admit such. The other thing is Trev's results are verifiable, so I'm not sure what facts to what you refer. I've read a lot of the news reports, I was following the story on xda-developers before this broke and we all have been working hard on getting the word out, so people will know what a danger Carrier IQ is. Trev developed an app which identifies whether or not Carrier IQ is on your device. It's still in development, but you can read about it and get the app here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17612559&postcount=110

This is not a joke, or PR thing, this is a  real security threat and what the people choose to do with the information is up to them. I guess many people will make light of it, but a lot of work went into verifying the truth of what Carrier IQ really does and what it can be made to do. I don't say this lightly and this really breaks my heart. I wanted my Vivid, (Which is really a pad with a phone built in it and not the other way around.), to work like any other Android based pad. If AT&T, or the others wanted to improve their network, they could start by installing more towers and making *real* 4G networking available in all areas. I've been in networking and PCs forever, Carrier IQ can and probably does cause other problems and who is going to tell AT&T that. The way it's incorporated into the Kernel, there's no way to tell if your having a processor problem, an O.S. problem, an app problem, or any combination thereof. It's serious..

You don't understand here - this whole thing seems to be blown up out of preportion by the 5th estate as normal.

It does not mean I am not taking it seriously. I don;t need anyone from the "xda forums" have already tasked my developers to examine each and every android phone from every carrier that we have in the sandbox development pool, the ones that are used to validate the vertical market apps that we write and the ones that are issued to the employee's from every carrier. Any one of the phones that show this software will be pulled, replaced and shredded. This is from each and every carrier that we issue adroid phones from - verizon, sprint, O2, rogers, etc and we will send out a SEMA alert to each one of our customers that use our applications. thankfully we have insurance for something like this happening

Message 45 of 92 (1,035 Views)
Expert

3f62011 wrote:
Even we forget about privacy concerns... Can you imagine what should happen, if someone or some APP would get a hold of your banking, credit card, paypal or amazon.com passwords thanks to Carrier IQ...

don;t have that issue since I don;t use my phone for anything like that and there is no payment method attached to the marketplace email.

Message 46 of 92 (1,035 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.