Wireless Forums

Posted Dec 1, 2011
7:36:52 AM
Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

Carrier IQ is hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities... Full Article/Video

Grant Paul, a well-known iPhone hacker who goes by the screenname "chpwn", wrote on his blog that Apple has included Carrier IQ on the iPhone, but the software's default is disabled.

Carrier IQ is hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities... Full Article/Video

Grant Paul, a well-known iPhone hacker who goes by the screenname "chpwn", wrote on his blog that Apple has included Carrier IQ on the iPhone, but the software's default is disabled.

Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

91 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(91)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 8:06:03 AM
(0)
Professor
So thIs means what to iPhone users?
hello!!!

Re: Carrier IQ: Hidden App Installed On Smartphones

6 of 92 (4,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 10:15:07 AM
(0)
Professor
Everything I've seen indicates this is an issue for Andriod and other smartphones, but not for the iPhone. But if it's true that the software is in the phone, but not turned on currently, who's to say that Apple can't enable it in the future?
Everything I've seen indicates this is an issue for Andriod and other smartphones, but not for the iPhone. But if it's true that the software is in the phone, but not turned on currently, who's to say that Apple can't enable it in the future?

11 of 92 (3,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 1:14:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

graphite07 wrote:

iPhone users are actually lucky versus that of other smartphone users because we have the ability to turn this feature off. When we tell Apple we don't want to send any diagnostics and usage data, they respect our privacy. Other smartphones on the otherhand, even when given the option to not send any data, they still do so behind your back. The video above demonstrates that especially when you visit "https" sites that are supposed to be secure.

From what I've read, any keystroke made on a phone with the hidden app, all info/data goes to Carrier IQ first before you can even Google it. Anything that is supposed to be encrypted (such as "https" sites) isn't encrypted as they should.

According to Chpwn, he claims Apple's Carrier IQ installation shares much less information than Android devices. He found that iOS shares "your phone number, your carrier, your country, active phone calls, and your location." However, unlike Android, Apple's installation doesn't share the phone number a user has dialed and only includes location information when "location services are enabled."

"I am reasonably sure it has no access to typed text, web history, passwords, browsing history, or text messages, and as such is not sending any of this data remotely," Chpwn wrote. (More from CIQ Tracking iPhone Too)

Most of us have this feature turned off/default mode without even realizing it. Remember a few threads back where some of us were trying to find ways to save battery? You would go to...

Settings > General > About > scroll down to Diagnostics & Usage > click Don't Send (this is where Carrier IQ is OFF)

By not sending, you are preventing Carrier IQ (as well as Apple) from retrieving any data from you. What type of data? You can see for yourself... If you click Diagnostics & Usage Data (right below Don't Send), it will show a list of items. For example:

LatestCrash-MobileSMS.plist >

Messages-(year)-(month)-(date)-(followed by #s)... >

OTAUpdate-2011-11-10-(followed by #s)... >

Click any one of those on your phone and you will see diagnostics and usage info. It doesn't make sense unless you know how to decode it. You can even test it out by sending yourself a text message, for example, and then go back and try to find that as a new list on the date you sent your text. So if you sent yourself a text today, a new list of Messages-2011-12-1-(followed by #s) should appear.

I watched the video above and afterwards clicked on another random CIQ video and it mentioned something about using up battery due to the retrieval of info if you have that feature turned on. For those of you with some battery issues, you may want to check that out. There is a link below if you need visuals. :smileyhappy:

Other related articles...

Carrier IQ: The Best Reason Yet To Switch To iPhone

How To Disable The Carrier IQ "Rootkit" On Your iPhone

Carrier IQ References Discovered in Apple's iOS

Carrier IQ: Mobile App Crap Must Stop

graphite07 wrote:

iPhone users are actually lucky versus that of other smartphone users because we have the ability to turn this feature off. When we tell Apple we don't want to send any diagnostics and usage data, they respect our privacy. Other smartphones on the otherhand, even when given the option to not send any data, they still do so behind your back. The video above demonstrates that especially when you visit "https" sites that are supposed to be secure.

From what I've read, any keystroke made on a phone with the hidden app, all info/data goes to Carrier IQ first before you can even Google it. Anything that is supposed to be encrypted (such as "https" sites) isn't encrypted as they should.

According to Chpwn, he claims Apple's Carrier IQ installation shares much less information than Android devices. He found that iOS shares "your phone number, your carrier, your country, active phone calls, and your location." However, unlike Android, Apple's installation doesn't share the phone number a user has dialed and only includes location information when "location services are enabled."

"I am reasonably sure it has no access to typed text, web history, passwords, browsing history, or text messages, and as such is not sending any of this data remotely," Chpwn wrote. (More from CIQ Tracking iPhone Too)

Most of us have this feature turned off/default mode without even realizing it. Remember a few threads back where some of us were trying to find ways to save battery? You would go to...

Settings > General > About > scroll down to Diagnostics & Usage > click Don't Send (this is where Carrier IQ is OFF)

By not sending, you are preventing Carrier IQ (as well as Apple) from retrieving any data from you. What type of data? You can see for yourself... If you click Diagnostics & Usage Data (right below Don't Send), it will show a list of items. For example:

LatestCrash-MobileSMS.plist >

Messages-(year)-(month)-(date)-(followed by #s)... >

OTAUpdate-2011-11-10-(followed by #s)... >

Click any one of those on your phone and you will see diagnostics and usage info. It doesn't make sense unless you know how to decode it. You can even test it out by sending yourself a text message, for example, and then go back and try to find that as a new list on the date you sent your text. So if you sent yourself a text today, a new list of Messages-2011-12-1-(followed by #s) should appear.

I watched the video above and afterwards clicked on another random CIQ video and it mentioned something about using up battery due to the retrieval of info if you have that feature turned on. For those of you with some battery issues, you may want to check that out. There is a link below if you need visuals. :smileyhappy:

Other related articles...

Carrier IQ: The Best Reason Yet To Switch To iPhone

How To Disable The Carrier IQ "Rootkit" On Your iPhone

Carrier IQ References Discovered in Apple's iOS

Carrier IQ: Mobile App Crap Must Stop

18 of 92 (3,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 1:21:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

Seems like the US Senate is now getting involved...

Carrier IQ Data Logging Controversy Prompts Scrutiny From US Senate

Seems like the US Senate is now getting involved...

Carrier IQ Data Logging Controversy Prompts Scrutiny From US Senate

19 of 92 (3,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 9:36:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

How can I determine whether Carrier IQ is installed on my telephone?  I have a Captivate.  http://www.theverge.com/tag/carrier-iq

How can I determine whether Carrier IQ is installed on my telephone?  I have a Captivate.  http://www.theverge.com/tag/carrier-iq

How to find out if Carrier IQ is installed on my phone?

9 of 92 (4,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 10:11:50 PM
(0)
Guru
It's not. ATT just started doing this with the Skyrocket and Vivid.
It's not. ATT just started doing this with the Skyrocket and Vivid.

Re: How to find out if Carrier IQ is installed on my phone?

25 of 92 (3,906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 6:38:47 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks. Also might be on LG Nitro. And, just found out about Voodoo Carrier IQ Detector app. It returned a score of 0.
Thanks. Also might be on LG Nitro. And, just found out about Voodoo Carrier IQ Detector app. It returned a score of 0.

29 of 92 (3,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 4:00:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

This CarrierIQ Spyware (Google this, if you want to find out more) deal is really starting to heat up.  Yes, it is present on the Vivid, and probably other ATT HTC phones too.  Not only is it starting to get some national media attention, but the U.S. Senate is now also taking an interest.

Let's hope they can force a removal of this nasty bit of spyware!

This CarrierIQ Spyware (Google this, if you want to find out more) deal is really starting to heat up.  Yes, it is present on the Vivid, and probably other ATT HTC phones too.  Not only is it starting to get some national media attention, but the U.S. Senate is now also taking an interest.

Let's hope they can force a removal of this nasty bit of spyware!

CarrierIQ Spyware

27 of 92 (3,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:16:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:17:19 AM

TrevE on XDA has developed a logging test program that can detect Carrier IQ.

The Pro license can be purchased on the Android Market:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.treve.loggingkey&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEs...

But the license for pro version is only needed to remove Carrier IQ.  The app itself is actually free and can be downloaded from XDA.  Webpage is linked (in Description) on the Market page I linked above.  Many features require root.

TrevE on XDA has developed a logging test program that can detect Carrier IQ.

The Pro license can be purchased on the Android Market:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.treve.loggingkey&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS50cmV2ZS5sb2dnaW5na2V5Il0.

But the license for pro version is only needed to remove Carrier IQ.  The app itself is actually free and can be downloaded from XDA.  Webpage is linked (in Description) on the Market page I linked above.  Many features require root.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
31 of 92 (1,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 6:32:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

An article in Wired Magazine and a supporting video present a convincing case that the Carrier IQ app on all our phones is violating our collective privacy.

I'd like to know who is using the data?

And I'd like AT+T to revise the protection on this software so it can be removed.  Are you listening AT+T?

An article in Wired Magazine and a supporting video present a convincing case that the Carrier IQ app on all our phones is violating our collective privacy.

And I'd like AT+T to revise the protection on this software so it can be removed.  Are you listening AT+T?

How can we stop Carrier IQ?

1 of 92 (4,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 10:06:09 PM
(0)
Guru
Root, and change ROMS, Which voids warranty.
Root, and change ROMS, Which voids warranty.

Re: How can we stop Carrier IQ?

2 of 92 (4,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 10:30:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

i tried to give kudos to this post but I apparently can't. I completely agree that Carrier IQ must go. I have a Skyrocket and I keep getting a process called IQ Agent Service. That I keep stopping but that keeps starting again.

i tried to give kudos to this post but I apparently can't. I completely agree that Carrier IQ must go. I have a Skyrocket and I keep getting a process called IQ Agent Service. That I keep stopping but that keeps starting again.

3 of 92 (4,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 5:32:03 AM
(0)
Expert

MonroviaWayne wrote:

ATT did nothing here, it pretty much is HTC and any other phone manufacturer that is doing it. went through the proceedure to determine if it was running on one of HTC inspires and did not see the system modules in question running

MonroviaWayne wrote:

ATT did nothing here, it pretty much is HTC and any other phone manufacturer that is doing it. went through the proceedure to determine if it was running on one of HTC inspires and did not see the system modules in question running

4 of 92 (4,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 9:02:33 AM
(0)
Guru
I don't think CIQ is on the Inspire. I know it's on the Skyrocket, and possibly on the Vivid. It's just recently started.
I don't think CIQ is on the Inspire. I know it's on the Skyrocket, and possibly on the Vivid. It's just recently started.

7 of 92 (4,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 9:34:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

ATT did nothing here, it pretty much is HTC and any other phone manufacturer that is doing it.

Seriously ??

wingrider01 wrote:

ATT did nothing here, it pretty much is HTC and any other phone manufacturer that is doing it.

Seriously ??

8 of 92 (4,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 11:09:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is beyond belief.  I hope/assume that someone from AT&T monitors these forums.  This has to be stopped immediately.  There is no way they should be monitoring at this level without very clear and specific notification before you use and the phone and it should be OFF BY DEFAULT.  

This is an opportunity for you (AT&T) to step up and prove you care about your customers more than your competitors by providing a means of getting this shut off IMMEDIATELY.

This is beyond belief.  I hope/assume that someone from AT&T monitors these forums.  This has to be stopped immediately.  There is no way they should be monitoring at this level without very clear and specific notification before you use and the phone and it should be OFF BY DEFAULT.  

This is an opportunity for you (AT&T) to step up and prove you care about your customers more than your competitors by providing a means of getting this shut off IMMEDIATELY.

12 of 92 (3,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 11:12:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

And someone said AT&T has nothing to do with this?  According to this article on ZDNet they do.

"In the case of iPhones, it appears that Apple bakes this snooper into every phone. With other smartphones, the carriers, such as AT&T and Sprint, add it into your phones’ firmware before it gets into your hands."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/finding-and-cleaning-out-your-smartphones-carrier-iq-poison/169...

And someone said AT&T has nothing to do with this?  According to this article on ZDNet they do.

"In the case of iPhones, it appears that Apple bakes this snooper into every phone. With other smartphones, the carriers, such as AT&T and Sprint, add it into your phones’ firmware before it gets into your hands."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/finding-and-cleaning-out-your-smartphones-carrier-iq-poison/1697

13 of 92 (3,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 11:39:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have a Skyrocket as well and short of voiding the warranty you can't get rid of it.  I called into support this morning and spent an hour talking to them about it, which they knew nothing about until they went to the web.  Was told they would call me back, haven't heard from them but if they have no way to remove it the phone will go back and I will change providers.  It's one thing to ask me for the information, it's another to assume that I want you to have it.

Andy

I have a Skyrocket as well and short of voiding the warranty you can't get rid of it.  I called into support this morning and spent an hour talking to them about it, which they knew nothing about until they went to the web.  Was told they would call me back, haven't heard from them but if they have no way to remove it the phone will go back and I will change providers.  It's one thing to ask me for the information, it's another to assume that I want you to have it.

Andy

14 of 92 (3,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 11:53:08 AM
(0)
Guru
This is most definitely carrier doing. From my understanding, all the carriers are doing it, and have been for awhile. ATT was just slow getting to it. Rodgers in Canada is not doing it, so, I'm running a "made for ATT", Rodgers ROM. No CIQ here!
This is most definitely carrier doing. From my understanding, all the carriers are doing it, and have been for awhile. ATT was just slow getting to it. Rodgers in Canada is not doing it, so, I'm running a "made for ATT", Rodgers ROM. No CIQ here!

15 of 92 (3,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 12:43:31 PM
(0)
Guru

davidusr wrote:

Not true - my first exposure to CIQ was Rogers UXKG3 for the Infuse.

Sprint was first to start invading privacy (CIQ is on basically all Android devices from Sprint), Rogers was a bit later, AT&T is just now getting on the spyware bandwagon.  Only the Skyrocket and Vivid have it as far as I know currently, however the Infuse Gingerbread update will have it (it's in the leaks), and probably Captivate Gingerbread will too.

davidusr wrote:

Not true - my first exposure to CIQ was Rogers UXKG3 for the Infuse.

Sprint was first to start invading privacy (CIQ is on basically all Android devices from Sprint), Rogers was a bit later, AT&T is just now getting on the spyware bandwagon.  Only the Skyrocket and Vivid have it as far as I know currently, however the Infuse Gingerbread update will have it (it's in the leaks), and probably Captivate Gingerbread will too.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

16 of 92 (3,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

17 of 92 (3,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 1:22:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Called their Executive customer service yesterday about this, they never called back! I work in a business that we do have real government security clearances. Because of the stupid camera they barely allow us to have a phone anyway, this looks like it will be a deal killer. My wife, a sheriffs deputy, guess we will both be back to Motorola Razors.

Need a list of phones affected by this spyware to know whether I need to file a data breach with security or not. I see Senator Franken is on it, the 14th is not soon enough, I use my phone everyday!

Funny how AT&T and Carrier IQ are the only 2 that have not made a statement about this.

I give it till Friday and if I don’t have a list of effected phones, I am calling it a breach of contract and heading for Verizon, they can fight the California Public utilities commission for their ETF. I read over the privacy agreement, it does cover this and is called a breech of contract……..

Called their Executive customer service yesterday about this, they never called back! I work in a business that we do have real government security clearances. Because of the stupid camera they barely allow us to have a phone anyway, this looks like it will be a deal killer. My wife, a sheriffs deputy, guess we will both be back to Motorola Razors.

Need a list of phones affected by this spyware to know whether I need to file a data breach with security or not. I see Senator Franken is on it, the 14th is not soon enough, I use my phone everyday!

Funny how AT&T and Carrier IQ are the only 2 that have not made a statement about this.

I give it till Friday and if I don’t have a list of effected phones, I am calling it a breach of contract and heading for Verizon, they can fight the California Public utilities commission for their ETF. I read over the privacy agreement, it does cover this and is called a breech of contract……..

20 of 92 (3,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:12:58 AM
(0)
Guru

pmsmith533 wrote:

What phones do you have?  It's mainly newer devices.

Confirmed Infected:

Skyrocket

Probably infected:

HTC Vivid

Confirmed Clean:

Galaxy S II (SGH-I777)

Samsung Infuse (current Froyo firmware - the AT&T Gingerbread leaks have it, so did the Rogers UXKG3 release in Canada)

Samsung Captivate (AT&T Gingerbread leaks might have it)

The list here is Samsung-heavy as I own Samsung devices and develop for them.  (I maintain a custom kernel series for the I777, and maintained one for the Infuse until giving it to my parents.)

pmsmith533 wrote:

What phones do you have?  It's mainly newer devices.

Confirmed Infected:

Skyrocket

Probably infected:

HTC Vivid

Confirmed Clean:

Galaxy S II (SGH-I777)

Samsung Infuse (current Froyo firmware - the AT&T Gingerbread leaks have it, so did the Rogers UXKG3 release in Canada)

Samsung Captivate (AT&T Gingerbread leaks might have it)

The list here is Samsung-heavy as I own Samsung devices and develop for them.  (I maintain a custom kernel series for the I777, and maintained one for the Infuse until giving it to my parents.)

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

30 of 92 (3,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 1:50:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

Does the AT&T Motorola Atrix 4G have the Carrier IQ spyware installed?

And if so, how do I uninstall and/or disable it?

Obviously it would be unacceptable to have this installed on our phones.

(I'm referring to the Carrier IQ software. My understanding is that some carriers install for "quality control" purposes, but which records personal data and sends it off to Carrier IQ servers. This data includes phone numbers, browser searches, and more. The data is collected and sent to this company even if the phone is using wireless and not the carrier.)

Thank you.

And if so, how do I uninstall and/or disable it?

Obviously it would be unacceptable to have this installed on our phones.

(I'm referring to the Carrier IQ software. My understanding is that some carriers install for "quality control" purposes, but which records personal data and sends it off to Carrier IQ servers. This data includes phone numbers, browser searches, and more. The data is collected and sent to this company even if the phone is using wireless and not the carrier.)

Thank you.

21 of 92 (4,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 1:52:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

P.S. Verizon has announced that they do not provision any of their Android phones with Carrier IQ. I'm hoping for a similar statement from AT&T regarding this issue. Preferably for all phones, but at least for my Atrix 4G in particular. Thank you.

P.S. Verizon has announced that they do not provision any of their Android phones with Carrier IQ. I'm hoping for a similar statement from AT&T regarding this issue. Preferably for all phones, but at least for my Atrix 4G in particular. Thank you.

Re: Does the AT&T Motorola Atrix 4G have the Carrier IQ spyware installed?

22 of 92 (4,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 5:00:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

For the sake of my future ATT&T contract getting renewed I hope the answer to this is no. I won't be surprised at all though if Carrier IQ is fully loaded on our phones. I'm sure the initial intentions of this software was genuine geeks wanting to improve their product. Sadly they always forget that there's a negative aspect whenever you trace someone without their knowledge. Any software like this should only be installed on an opt-in basis!

For the sake of my future ATT&T contract getting renewed I hope the answer to this is no. I won't be surprised at all though if Carrier IQ is fully loaded on our phones. I'm sure the initial intentions of this software was genuine geeks wanting to improve their product. Sadly they always forget that there's a negative aspect whenever you trace someone without their knowledge. Any software like this should only be installed on an opt-in basis!

23 of 92 (4,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 10:02:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

I checked it and mine dowsn't have it. Apparantly not every cell has it.

I checked it and mine dowsn't have it. Apparantly not every cell has it.

24 of 92 (3,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 11:06:48 PM
(0)
Guru

Gizmodo had reported that the atrix 4G appears to be clear as a result of testing performed by someone associated with or at least well known to them:

http://gizmodo.com/5864116/these-are-the-phones-were-pretty-sure-dont-have-carrier-iq

There are applications written to check and also help disable carrier IQ but they require rooted devices, discussion of which is not allowed in this forum.

Carrier iq has been reported to have been found on the atrix 2 but I have no direct knowledge to agree or disagree.

Gizmodo had reported that the atrix 4G appears to be clear as a result of testing performed by someone associated with or at least well known to them:

http://gizmodo.com/5864116/these-are-the-phones-were-pretty-sure-dont-have-carrier-iq

There are applications written to check and also help disable carrier IQ but they require rooted devices, discussion of which is not allowed in this forum.

Carrier iq has been reported to have been found on the atrix 2 but I have no direct knowledge to agree or disagree.

26 of 92 (3,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 9:36:38 AM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

How to find out if Carrier IQ is installed on my phone?

9 of 92 (3,949 Views)