Posted Sep 27, 2010
2:19:12 PM
View profile
Captive...Install From Unknown Sources
Edited by drocket77 on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:19:34 PM

Why is ATT the only carrier to block this option. Along with the added bloatware thats on my phone. I can fix this "LEGALLY" but its just a pain in the butt.  Also the ATT site is horribly orginized. I am just amazed that they haven't started to outsource thier customer service YET.

Also 2.2 has been out for a few months. Does anyone know if Samsung has released thier version to ATT so ATT can take forever to do thier version. I will just get a version of AC or XDA mpnths before I can get it here.

Why is ATT the only carrier to block this option. Along with the added bloatware thats on my phone. I can fix this "LEGALLY" but its just a pain in the butt.  Also the ATT site is horribly orginized. I am just amazed that they haven't started to outsource thier customer service YET.

Also 2.2 has been out for a few months. Does anyone know if Samsung has released thier version to ATT so ATT can take forever to do thier version. I will just get a version of AC or XDA mpnths before I can get it here.

Captive...Install From Unknown Sources

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 2:21:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Froyo-Update-Regions-Release-Dates

Android 2.2 Release Dates for Samsung Galaxy S:

T-Mobile on End September (28-30/9).

Samsung Benelux Begin on Mid October (15-20/10).

Samsung Spain end of October (25-30/10).

Samsung India end of October (25-30/10).

Samsung Polish end of October (25-30/10).

Samsung Europe end of October (25-30/10).

Samsung USA on November.

T-Mobile USA on November.

http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Froyo-Update-Regions-Release-Dates

Android 2.2 Release Dates for Samsung Galaxy S:

T-Mobile on End September (28-30/9).

Samsung Benelux Begin on Mid October (15-20/10).

Samsung Spain end of October (25-30/10).

Samsung India end of October (25-30/10).

Samsung Polish end of October (25-30/10).

Samsung Europe end of October (25-30/10).

Samsung USA on November.

T-Mobile USA on November.

Re: Captive...Install From Unknown Sources

2 of 8 (16,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 3:40:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

You can still install apps from unknown sources using USB Debugging mode while connected to a computer.  It's actually pretty easy if you know what you're doing, but it's definitely not for the non-technical.  In brief you need to:

- get the app install package (.apk)

- install Android SDK

- install Samsung Captivate USB drivers

- connect to computer in USB Debugging mode

- use ADB to install package

I can sympathize with AT&T why they make it difficult for the average user to do some of these things.

You can still install apps from unknown sources using USB Debugging mode while connected to a computer.  It's actually pretty easy if you know what you're doing, but it's definitely not for the non-technical.  In brief you need to:

- get the app install package (.apk)

- install Android SDK

- install Samsung Captivate USB drivers

- connect to computer in USB Debugging mode

- use ADB to install package

I can sympathize with AT&T why they make it difficult for the average user to do some of these things.

3 of 8 (16,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 7:25:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by drocket77 on Sep 27, 2010 at 7:26:46 PM

I have side loader. And if I wanted to, I could hex edit the db files to make the option avaiable and would take me 20 miutes or so.But in the end I guess the 20 min I spend doing it will save me in the long run.

I have side loader. And if I wanted to, I could hex edit the db files to make the option avaiable and would take me 20 miutes or so.But in the end I guess the 20 min I spend doing it will save me in the long run.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (16,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 12:37:28 PM
(0)
Master

drocket77 wrote:

Why is ATT the only carrier to block this option.

Yes, it is AT&T's policy to block this option for all AT&T Android phones. The reason is simple: reduce support cost. Judging by how many Captivate owners messed up their phone by flashing different firmwares and cry foul to AT&T in order to get a free replacement, it doesn't supprise me why AT&T wants to do this.

drocket77 wrote:

Yes, it is AT&T's policy to block this option for all AT&T Android phones. The reason is simple: reduce support cost. Judging by how many Captivate owners messed up their phone by flashing different firmwares and cry foul to AT&T in order to get a free replacement, it doesn't supprise me why AT&T wants to do this.

5 of 8 (16,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 6:34:58 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by scooterjes on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:46:58 PM

foxbat121 wrote:

drocket77 wrote:

That is a double edged sword if ATT in their infinite wisdom had not of blocked the side loading apps, placed all the restrictions, ect people would not have needed to flash/modify/hack their phones to get that functionality back they thought they "needed".  I can see bot sides of the picture yes I have rooted my phone to stop all the unnecessary apps from loading at startup(which really solwed down the reboot process) but no major mods will be made I am not planning on doing anything more than I have already done to the phone.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

foxbat121 wrote:

drocket77 wrote:

That is a double edged sword if ATT in their infinite wisdom had not of blocked the side loading apps, placed all the restrictions, ect people would not have needed to flash/modify/hack their phones to get that functionality back they thought they "needed".  I can see bot sides of the picture yes I have rooted my phone to stop all the unnecessary apps from loading at startup(which really solwed down the reboot process) but no major mods will be made I am not planning on doing anything more than I have already done to the phone.

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (16,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 8:50:09 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by thomaso on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:52:03 AM

If it's AT&T's policy to turn something off because of other people, they should allow the 'other' people to turn it on.

If it's AT&T's policy to turn something off because of other people, they should allow the 'other' people to turn it on.

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (15,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 9:26:48 AM
(0)
Expert

thomaso wrote:

Why - they "allow" you to turn it, you turn it on and break the device your loss, not theirs. They are under no responsibility if you crash the device by doing so it is on your head alone - you are the proud owner of a 600.00 paperweight.

thomaso wrote:

Why - they "allow" you to turn it, you turn it on and break the device your loss, not theirs. They are under no responsibility if you crash the device by doing so it is on your head alone - you are the proud owner of a 600.00 paperweight.

8 of 8 (15,579 Views)