Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 17, 2012
8:51:05 AM
View profile
Captivate wierded out after upgrade to GB

After successfully upgrading to Gingerbread 2.3, I now get the tethering error message, plus my phone is locked in Landscape mode plus is no longer recognized by a PC as a USB device.  There are hundreds of people across the internet with these same problems in various forums.  The folks at the AT&T store told me these phones were no good after the upgrade and were becoming a technical nightmare.  Mine is over a year old, can't replace, it cost $38 to upgrade now and the insurance would be $125 deductible. Warranty or no, when a software upgrade fries a phone, it should be replaced.  Not sure whether I want to renew or not anyway, prices are getting to high. Data went up AGAIN. 

After successfully upgrading to Gingerbread 2.3, I now get the tethering error message, plus my phone is locked in Landscape mode plus is no longer recognized by a PC as a USB device.  There are hundreds of people across the internet with these same problems in various forums.  The folks at the AT&T store told me these phones were no good after the upgrade and were becoming a technical nightmare.  Mine is over a year old, can't replace, it cost $38 to upgrade now and the insurance would be $125 deductible. Warranty or no, when a software upgrade fries a phone, it should be replaced.  Not sure whether I want to renew or not anyway, prices are getting to high. Data went up AGAIN. 

Captivate wierded out after upgrade to GB

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 1:00:15 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by ShaunMN on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:08:27 PM

{removed link to deleted thread}

I see you already found the thread about landscape mode. I'd guss you upgraded from 2.1 directly to 2.3? Because 2.2 has the same 'issue'. Try to clean up your USB port.

As for USB connection to PC, it might be that it is not default to MTP mode. You should check your USB connection mode.

{removed link to deleted thread}

I see you already found the thread about landscape mode. I'd guss you upgraded from 2.1 directly to 2.3? Because 2.2 has the same 'issue'. Try to clean up your USB port.

As for USB connection to PC, it might be that it is not default to MTP mode. You should check your USB connection mode.

Re: Captivate wierded out after upgrade to GB

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 5:52:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

No, I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3, never had an issue with 2.2. is there anyway to get it back so my phone will work somewhat normally?  I talked with AT&T Tech Support for over an hour yesterday and told him that I had been working on this for days for our two Captivates. Neither will be recognized by Windows 7, of course he didn't believe me... that's why it took so long on the phone to download Kies, reinstall and go through the entire attempted upgrade on one phone, data storage USB connect on the other, can't do either.  Anyway, did a complete factory reset on one and it fixed it in 2.3 GB and stopped the locked landscape mode, so I spent hours getting back all the data and apps I had on my phone, charged the battery overnight and right back to being stuck in landscape mode.  I guess the only thing to do is get rid of these Samsung Captivates.  I guess I'll call samsung Monday, but one of these is out of warranty and has worked like a charm until upgrading to Gingerbread 2.3.

No, I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3, never had an issue with 2.2. is there anyway to get it back so my phone will work somewhat normally?  I talked with AT&T Tech Support for over an hour yesterday and told him that I had been working on this for days for our two Captivates. Neither will be recognized by Windows 7, of course he didn't believe me... that's why it took so long on the phone to download Kies, reinstall and go through the entire attempted upgrade on one phone, data storage USB connect on the other, can't do either.  Anyway, did a complete factory reset on one and it fixed it in 2.3 GB and stopped the locked landscape mode, so I spent hours getting back all the data and apps I had on my phone, charged the battery overnight and right back to being stuck in landscape mode.  I guess the only thing to do is get rid of these Samsung Captivates.  I guess I'll call samsung Monday, but one of these is out of warranty and has worked like a charm until upgrading to Gingerbread 2.3.

3 of 8 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 6:07:51 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Feb 18, 2012 at 6:09:21 AM

In order to get back to 2.2, you have to find a 2.2 ROM and flash to it yourself. XDA is the place to find such thing. However, be careful, Samsung typically updated bootloader as well in the 2,3 update, you may brick your phone try to flash older firmware without making extra effort to prepare for it.

In order to get back to 2.2, you have to find a 2.2 ROM and flash to it yourself. XDA is the place to find such thing. However, be careful, Samsung typically updated bootloader as well in the 2,3 update, you may brick your phone try to flash older firmware without making extra effort to prepare for it.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 6:27:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

I didn't mention, that Hard Factory Reset (via the phone menu under privacy, which I never knew was there and couldn't find via a search, everyone was talking about holding all the buttons down)  did fix the tethering error message and the car docking error, but not the stuck in landscape mode.  I just tried another factory reset, and while I was listening to music it switched right back to landscape. I've tried all the fixes, these phones have a serious problem and it's no doubt you can now get one for a penny. Would not recommend unless you have a lot of patience and free time.

I didn't mention, that Hard Factory Reset (via the phone menu under privacy, which I never knew was there and couldn't find via a search, everyone was talking about holding all the buttons down)  did fix the tethering error message and the car docking error, but not the stuck in landscape mode.  I just tried another factory reset, and while I was listening to music it switched right back to landscape. I've tried all the fixes, these phones have a serious problem and it's no doubt you can now get one for a penny. Would not recommend unless you have a lot of patience and free time.

5 of 8 (925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 6:43:01 AM
(0)
Professor

This thread over at XDA will give you instructions and downloads needed to get your Captivate back to the stock 2.1. Then connect to Kies and it will tell you that you have to upgrade to 2.2 before you can upgrade to 2.3. Bring it up to 2.2 and stop there if you want.

Just a warning, this will completely wipe the phone.

This thread over at XDA will give you instructions and downloads needed to get your Captivate back to the stock 2.1. Then connect to Kies and it will tell you that you have to upgrade to 2.2 before you can upgrade to 2.3. Bring it up to 2.2 and stop there if you want.

Just a warning, this will completely wipe the phone.

6 of 8 (922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 6:55:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T admits that there was a bad batch of these phones during a certain time span, the ones under warranty are being replaced, the ones that aren't.... aren't. I'm not sure if Samsung ever admitted that or not, but I obviousley got a hold of two lemons.  They are rebuilding one for me, when I get it back I will throw the other one away as it hopelessly returns to landscape mode after I've done ever thing I can do, except root and all that.  I don't understand the rooting and mods and all that and really don't have time for it... the phone should work good without modification... and in the meantime,  the Pantech Burst is looking pretty good compared to all the nightmares of Samsung.

AT&T admits that there was a bad batch of these phones during a certain time span, the ones under warranty are being replaced, the ones that aren't.... aren't. I'm not sure if Samsung ever admitted that or not, but I obviousley got a hold of two lemons.  They are rebuilding one for me, when I get it back I will throw the other one away as it hopelessly returns to landscape mode after I've done ever thing I can do, except root and all that.  I don't understand the rooting and mods and all that and really don't have time for it... the phone should work good without modification... and in the meantime,  the Pantech Burst is looking pretty good compared to all the nightmares of Samsung.

7 of 8 (882 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2012 7:18:01 AM
(0)
Scholar
And again, I have done hard factory resets 5 times and in Gingerbread 2.3 it randomly goes back to being stuck in landscape mode. Samsung admitted a problem with USB connection, (as well as other problems) although it's odd that I was able to use the mini kies twice during the life of my phone to upgrade OS and several times I was able to access my data and load files to my phone via my PC. Now I can do neither with either phone on either computer. Sounds to me like something about the mini kies program and the drivers since it happened on both computers. Could also very well be a USB problem, but odd that it happened to both phones at the same time, trying multiple cords. I just don't have the time to continue working on this on a daily bases for weeks. Just replace phones. Also odd that I know people using captivates that love them, as did I until they didn't work.
And again, I have done hard factory resets 5 times and in Gingerbread 2.3 it randomly goes back to being stuck in landscape mode. Samsung admitted a problem with USB connection, (as well as other problems) although it's odd that I was able to use the mini kies twice during the life of my phone to upgrade OS and several times I was able to access my data and load files to my phone via my PC. Now I can do neither with either phone on either computer. Sounds to me like something about the mini kies program and the drivers since it happened on both computers. Could also very well be a USB problem, but odd that it happened to both phones at the same time, trying multiple cords. I just don't have the time to continue working on this on a daily bases for weeks. Just replace phones. Also odd that I know people using captivates that love them, as did I until they didn't work.

8 of 8 (880 Views)