Captivate shuts down and powers off whenever it feels like it? Anyone else?

Tutor

Captivate shuts down and powers off whenever it feels like it? Anyone else?

Hi,

I have noticed a few days ago that my 3 week old phone powers off at odd times, such as whenever.

This is very annoying and the Warranty Dept. is sending out a new battery, then a new phone if needed.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks!

Marci

Message 1 of 29 (5,639 Views)

Re: Captivate shuts down and powers off whenever it feels like it? Anyone else?

jenray, if you've had it for a week I'd consider having it replaced.  You can try a factory reset, which has worked for some people as a fix.  Everything else (Captivate Keep Alive, disabling power management, draining the battery a bit after charging) is a set of workarounds for those who are unwilling or unable to get some sort of replacement or warranty service.

You can return the phone to the retailer within 30 days of buying it.  If you bought the phone new, you'll get a new one.  After the 30 days is over, you're in the warranty period, which is for either repair (from Samsung) or a reconditioned replacement (from AT&T).

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 29 (4,293 Views)
Contributor

We've had this phone since August of this year. The first one started shutting down about 2 weeks after we bought it, so we took it back and got a replacement since we were under our 30 days. The second one lasted just over a month, and after 2 weeks of "troubleshooting" which included a hard reset, a new battery, and another hard reset, they finally allowed me to take my phone back to a service center and get it replaced. Now, this replacement phone is doing the same thing, and I just got off the phone with them to go get ANOTHER one.

I've read here and on the Android forums that this is a very common issue, yet every time I talk to someone, they say it's random and usually the battery replacement or hard reset fixes it. At what point does AT&T do some real customer service and try to fix the problem, rather than telling us there is no problem, and giving us a temporary fix. I'll tell you what, if this replacement phone does the same thing, I'm going to find out what kind of rights I have as a consumer, because this phone has issues that a lot of people are having, and AT&T isn't doing anything about it. I've spent literally hours on this problem trying to fix the phone, driving to the service center, talking on the phone to android support, or just restarting the darn phone.

Oh, and something funny I was told at the service center: "sometimes phones just have problems and you need to find a workaround and learn how to deal with the problem." Really? I'm supposed learn how to deal with a phone that shuts down all the time and the GPS doesn't work (that's a different rant, though). It seems that if you sell a phone, it should work. Period. Don't tell me I need to figure out how to deal with it because it's just the way it is. Our phone is our lifeline at times, and how horrible would it be if there was an emergency that I couldn't become aware of because my phone was shutting off on me all the time.

I'm writing down every time my phone shuts off, and all of the problems I'm having with it, along with the "support" I'm getting from AT&T. If this replacement phone I get today ends up having the same problems as the others, and AT&T isn't willing to admit there is a problem with this particular model, I think I'll have to go to the Better Business Bureau and/or the state Attorney General, because as a consumer, I feel I'm getting taken advantage of. I would suggest that anyone having the same problems with the phone, or with the support of AT&T, to do the same. Maybe if enough people try to get this fixed properly, someone will be forced to take care of us as the "valued customers" they say we are.

*Last thing, I just went to the service center, where they did not have a replacement phone "because people are having so many problems with them that we can't keep them in stock". Yet nobody will admit that there is something wrong with this phone...

Message 17 of 29 (4,109 Views)
Contributor

I think that I may have solved the issue on my Captivate. POWER SAVING MODE

My Captivate (new , less than a week old, purchased 11-17-2010) was randomly powering off at odd times.  I had experienced the issue when it was fully charged and sitting on my nightstand, was plugged in and charging, after hanging up a call , and simply at all types of random points.

I began like many of you googling and calling tech support.  I was all set to go takethe phone back, when a support guy at ATT who was trying to be helpful, but not being succsesful started searching his internal message boards.

Long story short, he said that one guy fixed the problem by simply,

• Going into settings
  • selecting Sound and Display
  • disabling POWER SAVING MODE*

* this is not the time out settings for the screen or etc, just the "auto contrast setting " that adjusts based on environment.

It has now been 48 hours without one issue of powering off. I realize that this may not mean that the problem is gone, but to this point all seems happy.

The theory is tha htere is an issue between the samsung trigger and the power saving part of the firmware. This may also be the root cause of some of the shorter than expected battery life. I lknow that sounds odd, "turn off power saving" to improve battery...but what can I say. Maybe someone technical can explain it better.

At any rate , here is to hoping my 48 hour record just keeps on goin!

Message 18 of 29 (3,861 Views)
Contributor

Re: I think that I may have solved the issue on my Captivate. POWER SAVING MODE

I'm on my second Captivate.  First one had many of the same symptoms described by others.  After getting a replacement phone, everything seemed fine until about 4 days and I caught the phone 'sleeping' on the job again.  I did a restore to factory defaults and have been carefully adding apps one at a time to see if it is app related.  No shutdowns so far but I'm only about 3 days in.

Your post caught my attention because thinking back with my earlier Captivate, I now recognize that it usually shut down after I  slipped it into my pocket.  I also remember the phone shutting down in a call once.  One common theme is that the ambient light sensor switched states and I thought it could be related to your observation about the power saving mode.

One other issue...  I have caught my phone (both old and once on this new one) rescanning the SD card.  This is concerning as this should only happen at startup.  I'm worried that it might be indicative of another bug.  The latest one was when I shut off the GPS radio using the Power Control widget.  The phone froze for 5-6 seconds then started responding again with the Scanning SD card message... hmm...  Perhaps a different bug but worth getting out there anyway.

Has you 48 hour record extended further?

Message 19 of 29 (3,780 Views)
Voyager

I'm on my second captivate.  The first one would power off when the battery was between 90 and 100.  This one seems to power off at much lower charge levels (70-100). 

Captivate Keep alive works spottily.  I've tried all the usual remedies of resetting, power management, battery terminal cleaning etc and none of them worked.

Last night I downloaded SIPDROID and my phone hasn't shut off yet - only 14 hours, but no shut downs overnight.  Will test further today, but so far so good.

Battery did drain overnight.  Went from 88% to 66%, which looks like a lot, but I might be able to live with it.

Also,  SIPDROID will allow me to voice chat with my friends on Google Talk and Skype (supports other clients as well, but I don't use them).

Will keep y'all posted.

Message 20 of 29 (3,661 Views)
Voyager

UPDATE

No shutdowns today at all.  So far so good. 

harsubs wrote:

I'm on my second captivate.  The first one would power off when the battery was between 90 and 100.  This one seems to power off at much lower charge levels (70-100). 

Captivate Keep alive works spottily.  I've tried all the usual remedies of resetting, power management, battery terminal cleaning etc and none of them worked.

Last night I downloaded SIPDROID and my phone hasn't shut off yet - only 14 hours, but no shut downs overnight.  Will test further today, but so far so good.

Battery did drain overnight.  Went from 88% to 66%, which looks like a lot, but I might be able to live with it.

Also,  SIPDROID will allow me to voice chat with my friends on Google Talk and Skype (supports other clients as well, but I don't use them).

Will keep y'all posted.

Message 21 of 29 (3,153 Views)
Tutor

I am on my second captivate , got my first one on tues prior to thanksgiving first few days fine then on late thurs started shutting down missed service call for my house Friday because I did not answer my phone ... Anyhow took the phone back to best buy on Sunday after trying every suggestion out there. This time  downloaded nothing not a thing, no apps nothing and  set my mail to not sync, basically just made few calls , sent few messages and read  my email. Only set up two accounts, set power saving and all that other stuff to off. Thought I was okay till I checked my phone in charger earlier tonight, was off again. I also keep checking what apps are running in the settings. Menu I notice quite a few when I finally got it to reboot, I turned them all off but did not write them down. I am going to give this another day or two but as much as I love the phone and by the way best buy and the local two ATT stores swear there is no issue and no returns , however I think they are lying because I even got this phone from a different store on purpose to have different batch and has different software and different build . Any how unless I see some real answers by late in the week have to give up. I also found similar issues here on ATT site for Samsung new focus and on there other sites for  the versions of this phone for other carriers.. How can this still be happening since debut months ago, why is it not solved or recalled?

Message 22 of 29 (3,089 Views)
Contributor

I have had the captivate since sep 2010 and i never experienced the shutdown issues until past 2 weeks. My phone used to shut down after putting on charge overnite and removing it from the wall charger the next morning. This i noticed seems to have started happening after i turned on the gmail app's data sync feature.

Now i have turned off the feature and problem seems to have gone. I am still checking if this holds true for the next couple of overnite charges. Will update what comes out of my experiment.

Message 23 of 29 (3,008 Views)
Tutor

Well I returned my second captivate yesterday for good. In all I had them both for 5 days each. This one I had loaded not a single app nothing the only thing running was email ( and not allowing auto get) texting and a few phone calls. I never used the browser nothing else. When this one started shutting down ( power mode off) I called Samsung, and they not only denied any issues, refused to send me a battery and said well send phone in for evaluation. I laughed at them. I finally decided that no phone was worth the time effort and aggravation this one was causing. Interestingly when I called ATT to reactivate my old apple G for time being they said oh yes we have many issues with the captivate. You should return it. When I returned the phone to best buy they denied any issues and were selling one right then and there, I told the guy you probably will be fine I am jinxed ... Any how Samsung has a real problem and when another manufacturer makes a  decent android phone for ATT I will try again. ( as I have two accounts and my apple 4g is on my other line,) as much as I love the I phone having two I phones create issues with ring tones, and phone books I had to merge them for now. I also must say the battery life on the Samsung was very poor. Good luck to everyone else trying this phone out.

Message 24 of 29 (2,939 Views)
Contributor

update

----------

it hold up for 1 time and started again Smiley Sad

Message 25 of 29 (2,892 Views)
Tutor

I had a very interesting conversation with ATT today when I called to see if my upgrade was restored with the return of my captivate yesterday. I was told they had several memos circulating customer service about many issues with the Samsung galaxy phones and were hoping for a fix or recall but none so far. They were also instructing customers to return the phones and not repurchase for now. I also learned that because I bought at best buy I was not given all the facts available to ATT stores. They still are selling the captivate due to a contract with Samsung but return all the defective ones to Samsung ... I am still looking for a good ATT droid phone and see nothing current I like. If my contract expires prior to something I may jump ship to Verizon. Think I am up in march not sure.

Message 26 of 29 (2,853 Views)
Contributor

I also just had a VERY interseting call with AT&T... I was told that Samsung Captivates made before November 6th 2010 have the shutdown problem. It was a software issue and since has been fixed.... However they won't replace my phone because it's out of the 90 day warranty! I was told I had to buy a new phone at FULL PRICE to solve the problem!!!  This didn't sit well with me so I'm currently on hold trying to get a manager to intervene. When the call is done I'll update this when I have a free moment...

If you're having this problem call AT&T asap to get it replaced before your warranty runs out. I've been having this problem for months but I was putting up with it because it was a minor nuisance at first (once a day) but has since progressed to 4 or 5 times/day.

Message 27 of 29 (1,982 Views)
Tutor

They had issue in dec when I returned mine getting htc inspire later this week hope itis better good luck
Message 28 of 29 (1,963 Views)
Highlighted
Master

dolls4too wrote:
They had issue in dec when I returned mine getting htc inspire later this week hope itis better good luck

I'm sure you'll like it. Smiley Wink I know I do.

Good luck, everyone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 29 of 29 (1,933 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.