Captivate shuts down and powers off whenever it feels like it? Anyone else?

Tutor

Captivate shuts down and powers off whenever it feels like it? Anyone else?

Hi,

I have noticed a few days ago that my 3 week old phone powers off at odd times, such as whenever.

This is very annoying and the Warranty Dept. is sending out a new battery, then a new phone if needed.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks!

Marci

Message 1 of 29
Professor

Re: Captivate shuts down and powers off whenever it feels like it? Anyone else?

A lot of people, myself included have had this problem. My suggestion is, don't wait until your 30 day trial is up. Return the phone for a new one. Replacing the battery won't do anything for you.

Message 2 of 29
Voyager

I agree with Max, take it in before 30-days!  I've had mine for 2 months, and kept hoping that some sort of fix would be sent out, blah blah!  I wish I had taken it in when it first happened!  So, because I'm past my 30-day, the warranty dept is sending out a refurb tele, AND after reading MANY posts on this subject, in several forums... some people are reporting that the refurbs have to be sent back, several times!  Granted, I don't believe this is the case with every refurb exchange, but as someone posted recently, it's like "finding the proverbial needle in the haystack."  

My exchange tele should be here early next week, and I'm hoping I get one of the "needles!" 

Other than this issue concerning random shut downs, I LOVE this phone!

FJ

Message 3 of 29

One thing to try that has stopped 90% of my phone doing the sleep of death is turn off the power management feature sure your battery goes faster but I've never had mine last less than 1 day the bug seems to be related to the phone's "sleep" function and turning that off seems to help out quite a bit.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 29
Tutor

I have tried all the fixes that I can understand in these threads, to no avail.  I will be getting a new phone on Friday, when I was told the store was going to install a software update of some kind.   I will post upon my return.  Wish me luck :-)

Message 5 of 29
Contributor

I've had my Samsung Captivate for 2 1/2 days, and it has not stopped shutting down yet. The first day, no shut downs. Yesterday, several shut downs, and today just non-stop every time I set my phone down! It will NOT shut down if I am using the phone. I have no apps installed (uninstalled the few I added: Facebook, Yahoo mail and Youtube), other than those loaded with new phone. My husband had his phone since Oct. 27, 2010 and his phone does NOT shut itself off at all! He also has the Captivate.

The only differences with our phones: I have Baseband Version: I897UCJH7, Build: ECLAIR.UCJH7, and he has Baseband Version: I897UCJF6, Build: ECLAIR. We are both running Firmwar 2.1-update 1. Also in "Running Applications" I have IcsService running, he does not. Not sure if any of this matters.

I'm not sure if a replacement phone will serve any justice, but I will try that route before I completely cancel service!

BTW: Doing a factory reset at the moment to see if that helps (won't hold my breathe though!)

Message 6 of 29
Master

It's a hardware defect. Not all the Captivate randomly shut down. So, get your replacement. If you're within 30 days, you can get a new phone in the store where you purchased. If you wait until 30-day period is out, you will have to settle for a refurbished phone from AT&T warranty service.

Message 7 of 29

I'm not so sure they are all hardware issues. My wife's Captivate starting doing this. Seemed like every hour or so, and at times, it would "chime" when she would get a text, but once hitting the power button to turn the screen on it would completely power off. Just as a hunch, we backed up what we could, and do a total reset. Things were great, and we left just one app off from being reinstalled. Maybe this was just luck, but I think the app was what caused it. It was a digital clock app of some sort, have since removed it and no longer know who made it. But at any rate, from that day on (about a month ago I think) it has not shut off. Just sharing my experience here.

Message 8 of 29
Master

Maybe yours is app related but there are plenty of folks out there running stock and still suffer the same problem.

My Captivate is purchaded at launch and installed/uninstalled numerous apps and flash to many different firmwares, official or unofficial. Never had a single shutdown.

Message 9 of 29
Voyager

D_E_

I just received my refurb 2 days ago... the tele that I returned had the exact same specs as your present phone, and was shutting down all the time.  

My replacement tele has the exact same specs as your husbands... point being, perhaps I received a tele that just might WORK as originally designed!!!

BTW, no shuts down yet... but as many have posted since getting their replacements, it's early days yet, LOL!

You should consider taking your tele in/getting in touch with the warranty dept because the issue probably isn't going away, and most likely will get worse.

Let us know what happens!

fj

Message 10 of 29
Master

i897UCJF6 is the original firmware at launch. AT&T updated it to i897UCJH7 a few weeks ago via OTA update. If your phone is still on JF6, it will be asked to update to JH7 sooner or later. The shutdown issue seems to affect phones with all firmware versions. Worse, some ppl that never experienced shutdown issue before experienced them after upupgraded to the leaked beta Froyo firmware.

Message 11 of 29
Scholar

Two days ago I received a new Captivate from AT&T. At my home where I was using WiFi, I had frequent shutdowns, seemed like every 10-15 minutes. Yesterday I had the phone with me in the field and no WiFi, I had two or three shutdowns.

Called AT&T they told me take it to the local store and replace with a new one. So far, I haven't had one shutdown with or without wifi. I didn't note the firmware version on the original Captivate but I'm sure checked it and it was the latest. This one is I897UCJH7.

Message 12 of 29

My shutdown issues started about 2 weeks ago.  It's unpredictable, but happens more often shortly after taking the phone off charger.  They sent a new battery a couple of days ago, and after charging the new battery up, the phone immediately shut down.  They are now sending a new (refurbished) phone.  I have had this phone for 35 days and have never had as much trouble from an AT&T phone as this!  If it wasn't for ATT's early termination penalties, I'd be at Verizon but I suspect they have as many issues as we do.  I've tried the "keep alive" app, app killer, virus scan, and 3 full factory resets.  Still happening.  Samsung insists it is not their problem, and that they haven't heard about it before (sure!).  In case it hasn't been distributed before, (I'm new here) the AT&T Android help desk direct phone # is (800) 801-1101.  They are very good, and always willing to help.

Message 13 of 29
Highlighted
Tutor

I am having similar issue. Everything was fine for first 40 days. Then it started. Switch off is random and in one day it can be over 5 and some day none. I have contacted Smaung and they are saying it is a known problem after update so do a soft reset. Which i did and nothing changed. Luckily i got my phone from amzon so they have sent in a replacemtn phone. Will be using it in coming week . Hope the problem does not come in this handset. But seriously Samsung should do something abt it !!

Message 14 of 29
Contributor

Have had the phone 1 week today.  From the beginning, it would shut off-i thought I was hitting the side power button by accident.  After two days of that, I thought it was the call settings, so changed that.  It worked for a day, then back to shutting off multiple times per day.  This weekend, it went all Friday and Saturday with no issues, plugged it in to charge it and started shutting down again.  This morning I found a link on the Samsung site for "Captivate Keep Alive" a free download that is supposed to solve this issue.  I have installed it in my phone, about 20 minutes ago.  Wonder if it will do any good.  I like the phone a lot, but can not have it shutting off on me.

Message 15 of 29
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support