Captivate random shut downs

Teacher

Captivate random shut downs

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

There are lots of people that experience this issue. Does anyone return the phone back to ATT because of it? Did anyone talk to ATT about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to return my phone or replace it ;(

Message 1 of 117
Teacher

Re: Captivate random shut downs

Apps have nothing to do with the random shut down issue, it's a phone (or firmware) defect. I've returned 2 Captivate phones because of this and my 3rd also **had the issue. This was pretty much a daily occurence and in all the cases the phone was either charging on a table or in my pocket when I noticed. FYI, I'm certain that I didn't initiate a shutdown in the cases where it was in my pocket by the way. Especially when I was mindful that one wrong move the phone could shut off.

All phones still had this happen after I performed a factory reset with only the stock apps that came with it and nothing else. I also thought it could have been an app that was causing it, but the reset removed them as a suspect (unless of course it is a pre-bundled app as the culprit).

**I did a reset as someone here in the forums suggested by turning the phone on while holding the volume buttons down and running through the reset procedure this way. I'm happy to report I have not had a shutdown since I've done that (4 days since).

Message 46 of 117
Tutor

I had the same problem with my phone.  sent it back, got a replacement and for a week it worked great, gps and no shut downs, then all of a sudden, shut down randomly, sitting on my desk.  has happened quite a few times since, but not like the first phone.  going to try the power management thing and hope that it works.  Love this phone, but definitely can't afford for it to be turning off on its own all the time.  will let you know.

Message 47 of 117
Tutor

Ok, so far so good.  I turned off the power management on my phone last night and have not had a shut down yet.  I am going to give it a couple of days just to be sure, but I usually have had at least one shut down in this amount of time.  keep your fingers crossed!!!

Message 48 of 117
Tutor

Well, going to attempt resolving this by getting my third phone in just over 2 weeks.

First phone had a few random shutdowns but then it bricked on me after attempting an update on 9-25 (replaced same day).

Second phone worked fine for a day or two, but then started getting random shutdowns...sometimes as many as 15-20 a day, sometimes only 2 or 3.

For me, it seems that my shutdowns occur MUCH more often when the battery is fully charged.  It will still happen when battery gets down below 50% or so, but less frequently.  Anyone else notice this?  I've even had a shutdown while on the phone (had 3 bars +). 

Message 49 of 117
Tutor

Well, spoke too soon.  Just after I posted earlier that turning power management off, phone quit shutting down, it shut down.  Has done it about 3 times today.  Very disappointed.  ATT and samsung obviously have to know about this problem, but keep denying they know anything about it and if i return this one, it will be a refurbished phone and my 3rd phone in a month.  they need to figure out what the problem is and fix.

Message 50 of 117
Master

I hope I don't jinx myself here...

I've had the Captivate for about a month and have had ZERO shutdowns.

Now, I do reboot my phone just about after everytime I get a google.apps force close message.

I don't know if that is what prevents the automatic shutdowns, because I'm doing it so often myself.

I've noticed that when I work with the native Contacts app, I get a lot of force closes, so I try to only add contacts online.

One thing I did notice is that if I *don't* do a reboot after a google.apps force close msg, my email syncs go awry, as in I no longer get any gmail pushed to my phone. My gReader doesn't sync, etc.

So, in addition to any hardware/software probs from Samsung/AT&T, I think there are some issues with the Android 2.1 OS or google.apps itself.

Maybe just rebooting your phone manually on a daily basis will prevent the auto-shutdowns. Although this does remind me of my daily WM reboots <sigh>

Too many moving parts to figure out what's going on, imho.

Just a thought.

Message 51 of 117
Teacher

rs2004 wrote:

Apps have nothing to do with the random shut down issue, it's a phone (or firmware) defect. I've returned 2 Captivate phones because of this and my 3rd also **had the issue. This was pretty much a daily occurence and in all the cases the phone was either charging on a table or in my pocket when I noticed. FYI, I'm certain that I didn't initiate a shutdown in the cases where it was in my pocket by the way. Especially when I was mindful that one wrong move the phone could shut off.

All phones still had this happen after I performed a factory reset with only the stock apps that came with it and nothing else. I also thought it could have been an app that was causing it, but the reset removed them as a suspect (unless of course it is a pre-bundled app as the culprit).

**I did a reset as someone here in the forums suggested by turning the phone on while holding the volume buttons down and running through the reset procedure this way. I'm happy to report I have not had a shutdown since I've done that (4 days since).

So much for that idea. I had a shut down yesterday...

Message 52 of 117
Tutor

I received a Captivate early last week that I ordered online and was shipped from AT&T. It would shut down with a full charge. I could only relate the symptoms to a full charge, unplugging it and leaving it idle. I would try to use it after 5-15 minutes of sitting idle and it would be off. It seems to be some kind of hardware/power defect. It would not happen if I used it immediately after unplugging it and running the battery down some. After a couple of days of this, I took it back to the local AT&T store here in Denver on Friday and they were very helpful in swapping it out. It seems like a defective batch is circulating out there since not all owners are experiencing it.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem on the swapped Captivate I have now. It will get a lot of use this coming week and a few charge cycles.

Message 53 of 117
Tutor

I have a ATT Galaxy S or Samsung Captivate since the end of august.  I had been having the shut off problem several times per day (10).  Two days ago I disconnected the Wifi and background data from the phone.  Additionally, I installed in tthe phone My Task Killer.  So far the phone does not turn off by itself.  Yesterday, it turned off only 1.  Today, so far none.  Perhaps the problems are with the Wifi and background data.  I expect a prompt patch with the solution from ATT and Samsung.  Bert

Message 54 of 117
Contributor

I don't think it has anything to do with the back ground and task killers. I used a task killer for over a month and still had random shut downs. They started after about the first month or so for me. It varies from day to day but it usually happens at least once or twice. 

I'm at least glad to know that it's not just my phone. Maybe that means there will be a fix for it.

Message 55 of 117
Contributor

My Samsung Captivate/Galaxy S  shuts down very frequently. It started within the first month and a half that I got it.  I've downloaded only 2 apps, plus email/facebook. And I am not one to spend a lot of time on my phone. I mainly use it for texting, and regular brief phone calls. The shutdowns occur on a fully charged battery. Every time I pick it up, it is off. After turning it on, I'll check it 5 minutes later and it's turned off again.

But days later, when the battery life has gone down, it seems to stay on all the time.

One more problem I've had (which has improved recently).. when I press the side button to unluck my phone, the screen lights up, but turns black before giving me time to swipe my phone to unlock it. The only solution is to continuously tap the home button really fast until it lights up and unlocks itself.

Hope I can get a new free one.

Message 56 of 117
Tutor

If your Captivate shuts down on a full (or nearly full) charge, as mine did, take it back. Get AT&T or Samsung to replace it until you get one that behaves correctly. It took me one try and I saved myself much frustration. Eventually the bad ones still sitting in stock rooms will get replaced. If it is some type of power/battery/hardware defect with a specific batch of phones, it could become a more serious problem down the road. The sooner the bad units get back into Samsung's hands for analysis, the better it is for all of us who enjoy their products.

Message 57 of 117
Contributor

Loved this phone for 6 weeks, then began to get random shutdowns. Like others, it happened more often with fully charged battery.

Tried turning off power management, same problem.  Tried hard reset (of course, lost all applications), and so far no shutdowns, but still early-I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be facing the same problem again.

A very bad problem and Samsung should reimburse customers for selling a product with such an egregious issue.  If they don't take responsibility for what they've done, users should get together for a class action suit. 

Message 58 of 117
Tutor

I had this same problem. Sent one phone back, got new one, worked great for a week, then started shutting down again.  ATT sent me a new battery, and 1st time i charged it full, did it again. I found a connection to the way I unplugged after charging and the shut downs.  I get the battery full message and if I hit ok and then unplug, i get shutdowns.  if i just unplug my phone and swipe it out of sleep mode, no shut downs.  Gone a couple of weeks now with no shutdowns.  Who knows?  Love this phone, so I am just glad mine has finally stopped shutting off.  Works great now.  Also, GPS on 1st phone would never connect.  This phone locks right on to my location and works great.  LOVE THIS PHONE>

Message 59 of 117
Contributor

I'm amazed at the number of users who are having the same problem.  My Captivate (bought at the end of August) worked fine for about four weeks and then I started having the shutdown problem.  I'd set the alarm the night before and the alarm would not go off.  When I'd press the button on the right side of the phone it would go through the power up scheme and give me a message that my software was updated.  My husband's Captivate, purchased the same day, is just fine.

After almost 2 hours with ATT on the phone today, escalating my call from one customer support person to another, and finally being sent on to a "retention" manager, not only did they not let on that this is a problem (It's doing what???) but they wanted to replace it with a refurbished phone.  I objected to that because I paid almost $200 for the phone and I wanted a new replacement.  They were not interested in accommodating me.  Now that I see the number of people that have gone through multiple phones, even that would appear to be a waste of time. 

We've been with ATT Wireless for about 15 years.  I'd expect that they would be more interested in customer satisfaction.  It appears, however, that if this is a widespread problem they just don't have a solution.  They have an obligation to either fix them or replace them.  Please let's keep up the dialogue and offer suggestions and solutions that you come up with.  I'll check back for updates and report my progress in trying to get this resolved. 

Message 60 of 117
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support