Captivate random shut downs

Teacher

Captivate random shut downs

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

There are lots of people that experience this issue. Does anyone return the phone back to ATT because of it? Did anyone talk to ATT about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to return my phone or replace it ;(

Message 1 of 117 (13,078 Views)
Teacher

Re: Captivate random shut downs

Message 31 of 117 (3,757 Views)
Teacher

... but read this first http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735482&highlight=pimp+my+captivate

Don't do anything until you 100% sure. Ask XDA guys if you have questions.

Message 32 of 117 (3,755 Views)

You know I never had this problem. Two days ago I had to exchange my captivate cause it went all crazy. The screen wouldn't respond to anything, it wouldn't turn off. I had to pull the battery to turn it off. That happened three times in a row. It started lagging, the swype stopped working, it was weird.

Anywho, since I've had this one, it shut down twice on me. Once overnight, and once in a matter of two hours. It's annoying. I tried the power setting, we'll see how it goes. My fiance has a captivate, he has no issues whatsoever. And my old one didn't turn off at all. I don't want to keep getting phone after phone, it's annoying. And I don't wanna swithc phones, or go back to my iphone.

any suggestions?

Message 33 of 117 (3,413 Views)
Contributor

Just another Captivate user here chiming in--I have the shutdown issue, as well. Within the last 3-4 hours, it has shutdown 3 times already (causing me to miss my morning alarm for the 3rd time).

AT&T: PLEASE, we IMPLORE YOU--try to work with Samsung to find a fix, or publicize this issue in some way and start acknowledging it via your service/support pages and service reps.

Message 34 of 117 (3,375 Views)
Contributor

I too am having this issue.  From the hours I've spent researching the issue, it is not a software or app issue.  It's happening to people who've rooted, not rooted, ATK and non, and everywhere in between.

I am about to call Amazon for an exchange if this isn't cleared up soon!

Message 35 of 117 (3,205 Views)
Tutor

My random shutdowns were increasing daily and finally got to the point where if I left it alone for 15 minutes it would shutdown.  I called Tech Support and once I described the problem, they immediately transferred me to Warranty for a replacement without attempting to do any diagnostics.  They told me that this is a well known problem and there was nothing I could do (I had already done a hard reset) that would help.  I should get my replacement on Saturday, sure hope this one works better.

Message 36 of 117 (3,162 Views)

UPdate: Been having better luck by dismissing the "Battery Fully Charged" dialog and then dismissing the screenlock to get to home screen before unplugging the usb charging cable.

Summary: get to homescreen before unplugging the usb charging cable and seems to stabilize the phone.

At least for the whole morning -no more dreaded phone coma.

Message 37 of 117 (3,143 Views)
Contributor

Another user here, same problem. Come on AT&T this is intolerable - get with Samsung and get a permanent fix!

Message 38 of 117 (3,035 Views)

I've had these problems, too. It's not that frequent, but one time my phone completely rebooted and I wound up losing data. Very frustrating.

Message 39 of 117 (2,919 Views)
Contributor

I got my 1st Captivate on Saturday Sep 4th. Wednesday morning Sept 7th the shut downs started (at least 5 times each day until Friday Sep 10th when I returned it for another Captivate. The new one started to shut down today Sunday Sept 12th. I am going to the store tomorrow to exchange it for a I-Phone4. I love the Captivate, but this is totally un-acceptable. They should have done the proper testing before releasing this model.

Kevin

Message 40 of 117 (2,881 Views)
Tutor

I got my Galaxy by the end of august.  I started to shut down and I contacted Samsung.  The tech rep was very nice but so far Samsung does not know which is the problem  They requested to me to mail them my phone so they will check it up.  Have any one of you find the solution?  They will not replaced.  I believe it is a poor business management from Samsung.  I wonder whether At&T will act with some more responsibility and offer to replace it.  Unfortunately, right now I am on a mission overseas and will not be back into the States until the end of October.  What should I do?  I like the device but it is not working and jeopardising my personal and business comunications.  Regards

Message 41 of 117 (3,177 Views)
Tutor

Is there any further news about the shutdown problem with the Captivate? Is it a hardware or software problem? What is AT&T going to do about it?  I understand that exchanged devices have the same problem.

Message 42 of 117 (3,139 Views)
Contributor

Anybody have the issue with it turning itself off during a phone call?  Happened to my daughter just now.  She'd been having the random turn-offs, thinking something happened while in her purse.  But during a phone call?  This is definitely an issue. 

Message 43 of 117 (2,993 Views)
Explorer

I am having the same issue.  I have had my captivate for a little over a month and no problems until the last week.  Than it started shutting down with no real reason why.  On a call twice, during a text message several times and lastly, when just sitting idle.  It is crazy.  Did factory reset which helped for a short period.  I called into AT&T to make them aware but they had no clue.  If it is happening to me it has to be happening to more people.  Therefore, people need to call in and let them know.  Just my 2 cents.

If anyone has notice a pattern, please let me know. 

Message 44 of 117 (2,899 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Not sure if this will help any of you...

But Antivirus was the first app I installed on my phone. Makes me feel better that my app downloads are being checked.

Then what I do is everytime I download an app, I open it and use it to make sure that my phone doesn't go bonkers. There were actually a few apps which caused some serious probs on my phone after installation. So I immediately uninstalled.

Now I usually read the ratings before I download and most apps on my phone are 4+ stars (just checked).

Would suggest you do this systemmatically. Download. Open the newly installed app and do a few things with it. If phone is ok, open the next app. I often download 2-4 apps at a time, but check each individually before I open the next one. Doing it systemmatically like this ensures that I'm catching the bad apps right away.

I've had this phone about 3 wks and it hasn't randomly shut down.

I've installed Juice Defender (the stable version, the beta version had some issues I didn't want to deal with) -- and Ultimate Juice (purchased)... The interesting thing is that UltimateJuice plots the battery usage/power/status and there are some funny gaps where there is no data. So I don't know if this meant something funny was going on with the phone or if there was a bug in the Ultimate Juice.

In any case, no random shutdowns since purchase...Although some apps that I downloaded required me to do battery pulls and other stuff to get the phone working again. So just be careful with the apps you download. Even read the comments before you *upgrade* an app. You'd be surprised at how an update can destablize your phone. So it could be your apps rather than the phone. Not saying it's not the phone, but keep an open mind and don't trust your downloaded apps blindly.

HTH

Z

Message 45 of 117 (2,889 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.