Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us NOW for a live “Ask an Expert” event!

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 28, 2010
8:12:52 AM
Captivate random shut downs

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

There are lots of people that experience this issue. Does anyone return the phone back to ATT because of it? Did anyone talk to ATT about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to return my phone or replace it ;(

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

There are lots of people that experience this issue. Does anyone return the phone back to ATT because of it? Did anyone talk to ATT about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to return my phone or replace it ;(

Captivate random shut downs

116 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(116)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

Re: Captivate random shut downs

31 of 117 (3,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 6:29:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

... but read this first http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735482&highlight=pimp+my+captivate

Don't do anything until you 100% sure. Ask XDA guys if you have questions.

... but read this first http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735482&highlight=pimp+my+captivate

Don't do anything until you 100% sure. Ask XDA guys if you have questions.

32 of 117 (3,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2010 10:44:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

You know I never had this problem. Two days ago I had to exchange my captivate cause it went all crazy. The screen wouldn't respond to anything, it wouldn't turn off. I had to pull the battery to turn it off. That happened three times in a row. It started lagging, the swype stopped working, it was weird.

Anywho, since I've had this one, it shut down twice on me. Once overnight, and once in a matter of two hours. It's annoying. I tried the power setting, we'll see how it goes. My fiance has a captivate, he has no issues whatsoever. And my old one didn't turn off at all. I don't want to keep getting phone after phone, it's annoying. And I don't wanna swithc phones, or go back to my iphone.

any suggestions?

You know I never had this problem. Two days ago I had to exchange my captivate cause it went all crazy. The screen wouldn't respond to anything, it wouldn't turn off. I had to pull the battery to turn it off. That happened three times in a row. It started lagging, the swype stopped working, it was weird.

Anywho, since I've had this one, it shut down twice on me. Once overnight, and once in a matter of two hours. It's annoying. I tried the power setting, we'll see how it goes. My fiance has a captivate, he has no issues whatsoever. And my old one didn't turn off at all. I don't want to keep getting phone after phone, it's annoying. And I don't wanna swithc phones, or go back to my iphone.

any suggestions?

33 of 117 (2,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 5:14:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just another Captivate user here chiming in--I have the shutdown issue, as well. Within the last 3-4 hours, it has shutdown 3 times already (causing me to miss my morning alarm for the 3rd time).

AT&T: PLEASE, we IMPLORE YOU--try to work with Samsung to find a fix, or publicize this issue in some way and start acknowledging it via your service/support pages and service reps.

Just another Captivate user here chiming in--I have the shutdown issue, as well. Within the last 3-4 hours, it has shutdown 3 times already (causing me to miss my morning alarm for the 3rd time).

AT&T: PLEASE, we IMPLORE YOU--try to work with Samsung to find a fix, or publicize this issue in some way and start acknowledging it via your service/support pages and service reps.

34 of 117 (2,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 10:04:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

I too am having this issue.  From the hours I've spent researching the issue, it is not a software or app issue.  It's happening to people who've rooted, not rooted, ATK and non, and everywhere in between.

I am about to call Amazon for an exchange if this isn't cleared up soon!

I too am having this issue.  From the hours I've spent researching the issue, it is not a software or app issue.  It's happening to people who've rooted, not rooted, ATK and non, and everywhere in between.

I am about to call Amazon for an exchange if this isn't cleared up soon!

35 of 117 (2,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 8:49:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

My random shutdowns were increasing daily and finally got to the point where if I left it alone for 15 minutes it would shutdown.  I called Tech Support and once I described the problem, they immediately transferred me to Warranty for a replacement without attempting to do any diagnostics.  They told me that this is a well known problem and there was nothing I could do (I had already done a hard reset) that would help.  I should get my replacement on Saturday, sure hope this one works better.

My random shutdowns were increasing daily and finally got to the point where if I left it alone for 15 minutes it would shutdown.  I called Tech Support and once I described the problem, they immediately transferred me to Warranty for a replacement without attempting to do any diagnostics.  They told me that this is a well known problem and there was nothing I could do (I had already done a hard reset) that would help.  I should get my replacement on Saturday, sure hope this one works better.

36 of 117 (2,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 11:35:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

UPdate: Been having better luck by dismissing the "Battery Fully Charged" dialog and then dismissing the screenlock to get to home screen before unplugging the usb charging cable.

Summary: get to homescreen before unplugging the usb charging cable and seems to stabilize the phone.

At least for the whole morning -no more dreaded phone coma.

UPdate: Been having better luck by dismissing the "Battery Fully Charged" dialog and then dismissing the screenlock to get to home screen before unplugging the usb charging cable.

Summary: get to homescreen before unplugging the usb charging cable and seems to stabilize the phone.

At least for the whole morning -no more dreaded phone coma.

37 of 117 (2,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 2:03:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

Another user here, same problem. Come on AT&T this is intolerable - get with Samsung and get a permanent fix!

Another user here, same problem. Come on AT&T this is intolerable - get with Samsung and get a permanent fix!

38 of 117 (2,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 12:56:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've had these problems, too. It's not that frequent, but one time my phone completely rebooted and I wound up losing data. Very frustrating.

I've had these problems, too. It's not that frequent, but one time my phone completely rebooted and I wound up losing data. Very frustrating.

39 of 117 (2,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 6:22:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

I got my 1st Captivate on Saturday Sep 4th. Wednesday morning Sept 7th the shut downs started (at least 5 times each day until Friday Sep 10th when I returned it for another Captivate. The new one started to shut down today Sunday Sept 12th. I am going to the store tomorrow to exchange it for a I-Phone4. I love the Captivate, but this is totally un-acceptable. They should have done the proper testing before releasing this model.

Kevin

I got my 1st Captivate on Saturday Sep 4th. Wednesday morning Sept 7th the shut downs started (at least 5 times each day until Friday Sep 10th when I returned it for another Captivate. The new one started to shut down today Sunday Sept 12th. I am going to the store tomorrow to exchange it for a I-Phone4. I love the Captivate, but this is totally un-acceptable. They should have done the proper testing before releasing this model.

Kevin

40 of 117 (2,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 3:36:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I got my Galaxy by the end of august.  I started to shut down and I contacted Samsung.  The tech rep was very nice but so far Samsung does not know which is the problem  They requested to me to mail them my phone so they will check it up.  Have any one of you find the solution?  They will not replaced.  I believe it is a poor business management from Samsung.  I wonder whether At&T will act with some more responsibility and offer to replace it.  Unfortunately, right now I am on a mission overseas and will not be back into the States until the end of October.  What should I do?  I like the device but it is not working and jeopardising my personal and business comunications.  Regards

I got my Galaxy by the end of august.  I started to shut down and I contacted Samsung.  The tech rep was very nice but so far Samsung does not know which is the problem  They requested to me to mail them my phone so they will check it up.  Have any one of you find the solution?  They will not replaced.  I believe it is a poor business management from Samsung.  I wonder whether At&T will act with some more responsibility and offer to replace it.  Unfortunately, right now I am on a mission overseas and will not be back into the States until the end of October.  What should I do?  I like the device but it is not working and jeopardising my personal and business comunications.  Regards

41 of 117 (2,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 1:26:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

Is there any further news about the shutdown problem with the Captivate? Is it a hardware or software problem? What is AT&T going to do about it?  I understand that exchanged devices have the same problem.

Is there any further news about the shutdown problem with the Captivate? Is it a hardware or software problem? What is AT&T going to do about it?  I understand that exchanged devices have the same problem.

42 of 117 (2,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 1:36:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

Anybody have the issue with it turning itself off during a phone call?  Happened to my daughter just now.  She'd been having the random turn-offs, thinking something happened while in her purse.  But during a phone call?  This is definitely an issue. 

Anybody have the issue with it turning itself off during a phone call?  Happened to my daughter just now.  She'd been having the random turn-offs, thinking something happened while in her purse.  But during a phone call?  This is definitely an issue. 

43 of 117 (2,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 10:19:59 AM
(0)
Explorer

I am having the same issue.  I have had my captivate for a little over a month and no problems until the last week.  Than it started shutting down with no real reason why.  On a call twice, during a text message several times and lastly, when just sitting idle.  It is crazy.  Did factory reset which helped for a short period.  I called into AT&T to make them aware but they had no clue.  If it is happening to me it has to be happening to more people.  Therefore, people need to call in and let them know.  Just my 2 cents.

If anyone has notice a pattern, please let me know. 

I am having the same issue.  I have had my captivate for a little over a month and no problems until the last week.  Than it started shutting down with no real reason why.  On a call twice, during a text message several times and lastly, when just sitting idle.  It is crazy.  Did factory reset which helped for a short period.  I called into AT&T to make them aware but they had no clue.  If it is happening to me it has to be happening to more people.  Therefore, people need to call in and let them know.  Just my 2 cents.

If anyone has notice a pattern, please let me know. 

44 of 117 (2,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 12:44:40 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Oct 1, 2010 at 12:56:01 PM

Not sure if this will help any of you...

But Antivirus was the first app I installed on my phone. Makes me feel better that my app downloads are being checked.

Then what I do is everytime I download an app, I open it and use it to make sure that my phone doesn't go bonkers. There were actually a few apps which caused some serious probs on my phone after installation. So I immediately uninstalled.

Now I usually read the ratings before I download and most apps on my phone are 4+ stars (just checked).

Would suggest you do this systemmatically. Download. Open the newly installed app and do a few things with it. If phone is ok, open the next app. I often download 2-4 apps at a time, but check each individually before I open the next one. Doing it systemmatically like this ensures that I'm catching the bad apps right away.

I've had this phone about 3 wks and it hasn't randomly shut down.

I've installed Juice Defender (the stable version, the beta version had some issues I didn't want to deal with) -- and Ultimate Juice (purchased)... The interesting thing is that UltimateJuice plots the battery usage/power/status and there are some funny gaps where there is no data. So I don't know if this meant something funny was going on with the phone or if there was a bug in the Ultimate Juice.

In any case, no random shutdowns since purchase...Although some apps that I downloaded required me to do battery pulls and other stuff to get the phone working again. So just be careful with the apps you download. Even read the comments before you *upgrade* an app. You'd be surprised at how an update can destablize your phone. So it could be your apps rather than the phone. Not saying it's not the phone, but keep an open mind and don't trust your downloaded apps blindly.

HTH

Z

Not sure if this will help any of you...

But Antivirus was the first app I installed on my phone. Makes me feel better that my app downloads are being checked.

Then what I do is everytime I download an app, I open it and use it to make sure that my phone doesn't go bonkers. There were actually a few apps which caused some serious probs on my phone after installation. So I immediately uninstalled.

Now I usually read the ratings before I download and most apps on my phone are 4+ stars (just checked).

Would suggest you do this systemmatically. Download. Open the newly installed app and do a few things with it. If phone is ok, open the next app. I often download 2-4 apps at a time, but check each individually before I open the next one. Doing it systemmatically like this ensures that I'm catching the bad apps right away.

I've had this phone about 3 wks and it hasn't randomly shut down.

I've installed Juice Defender (the stable version, the beta version had some issues I didn't want to deal with) -- and Ultimate Juice (purchased)... The interesting thing is that UltimateJuice plots the battery usage/power/status and there are some funny gaps where there is no data. So I don't know if this meant something funny was going on with the phone or if there was a bug in the Ultimate Juice.

In any case, no random shutdowns since purchase...Although some apps that I downloaded required me to do battery pulls and other stuff to get the phone working again. So just be careful with the apps you download. Even read the comments before you *upgrade* an app. You'd be surprised at how an update can destablize your phone. So it could be your apps rather than the phone. Not saying it's not the phone, but keep an open mind and don't trust your downloaded apps blindly.

HTH

Z

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

[ Edited ]
45 of 117 (2,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 4:50:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

Apps have nothing to do with the random shut down issue, it's a phone (or firmware) defect. I've returned 2 Captivate phones because of this and my 3rd also **had the issue. This was pretty much a daily occurence and in all the cases the phone was either charging on a table or in my pocket when I noticed. FYI, I'm certain that I didn't initiate a shutdown in the cases where it was in my pocket by the way. Especially when I was mindful that one wrong move the phone could shut off.

All phones still had this happen after I performed a factory reset with only the stock apps that came with it and nothing else. I also thought it could have been an app that was causing it, but the reset removed them as a suspect (unless of course it is a pre-bundled app as the culprit).

**I did a reset as someone here in the forums suggested by turning the phone on while holding the volume buttons down and running through the reset procedure this way. I'm happy to report I have not had a shutdown since I've done that (4 days since).

Apps have nothing to do with the random shut down issue, it's a phone (or firmware) defect. I've returned 2 Captivate phones because of this and my 3rd also **had the issue. This was pretty much a daily occurence and in all the cases the phone was either charging on a table or in my pocket when I noticed. FYI, I'm certain that I didn't initiate a shutdown in the cases where it was in my pocket by the way. Especially when I was mindful that one wrong move the phone could shut off.

All phones still had this happen after I performed a factory reset with only the stock apps that came with it and nothing else. I also thought it could have been an app that was causing it, but the reset removed them as a suspect (unless of course it is a pre-bundled app as the culprit).

**I did a reset as someone here in the forums suggested by turning the phone on while holding the volume buttons down and running through the reset procedure this way. I'm happy to report I have not had a shutdown since I've done that (4 days since).

46 of 117 (2,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 7:34:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same problem with my phone.  sent it back, got a replacement and for a week it worked great, gps and no shut downs, then all of a sudden, shut down randomly, sitting on my desk.  has happened quite a few times since, but not like the first phone.  going to try the power management thing and hope that it works.  Love this phone, but definitely can't afford for it to be turning off on its own all the time.  will let you know.

I had the same problem with my phone.  sent it back, got a replacement and for a week it worked great, gps and no shut downs, then all of a sudden, shut down randomly, sitting on my desk.  has happened quite a few times since, but not like the first phone.  going to try the power management thing and hope that it works.  Love this phone, but definitely can't afford for it to be turning off on its own all the time.  will let you know.

47 of 117 (2,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 10:51:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ok, so far so good.  I turned off the power management on my phone last night and have not had a shut down yet.  I am going to give it a couple of days just to be sure, but I usually have had at least one shut down in this amount of time.  keep your fingers crossed!!!

Ok, so far so good.  I turned off the power management on my phone last night and have not had a shut down yet.  I am going to give it a couple of days just to be sure, but I usually have had at least one shut down in this amount of time.  keep your fingers crossed!!!

48 of 117 (2,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 11:32:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, going to attempt resolving this by getting my third phone in just over 2 weeks.

First phone had a few random shutdowns but then it bricked on me after attempting an update on 9-25 (replaced same day).

Second phone worked fine for a day or two, but then started getting random shutdowns...sometimes as many as 15-20 a day, sometimes only 2 or 3.

For me, it seems that my shutdowns occur MUCH more often when the battery is fully charged.  It will still happen when battery gets down below 50% or so, but less frequently.  Anyone else notice this?  I've even had a shutdown while on the phone (had 3 bars +). 

Well, going to attempt resolving this by getting my third phone in just over 2 weeks.

First phone had a few random shutdowns but then it bricked on me after attempting an update on 9-25 (replaced same day).

Second phone worked fine for a day or two, but then started getting random shutdowns...sometimes as many as 15-20 a day, sometimes only 2 or 3.

For me, it seems that my shutdowns occur MUCH more often when the battery is fully charged.  It will still happen when battery gets down below 50% or so, but less frequently.  Anyone else notice this?  I've even had a shutdown while on the phone (had 3 bars +). 

49 of 117 (2,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 8:17:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, spoke too soon.  Just after I posted earlier that turning power management off, phone quit shutting down, it shut down.  Has done it about 3 times today.  Very disappointed.  ATT and samsung obviously have to know about this problem, but keep denying they know anything about it and if i return this one, it will be a refurbished phone and my 3rd phone in a month.  they need to figure out what the problem is and fix.

Well, spoke too soon.  Just after I posted earlier that turning power management off, phone quit shutting down, it shut down.  Has done it about 3 times today.  Very disappointed.  ATT and samsung obviously have to know about this problem, but keep denying they know anything about it and if i return this one, it will be a refurbished phone and my 3rd phone in a month.  they need to figure out what the problem is and fix.

50 of 117 (2,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 9:27:42 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Oct 6, 2010 at 9:30:24 AM

I hope I don't jinx myself here...

I've had the Captivate for about a month and have had ZERO shutdowns.

Now, I do reboot my phone just about after everytime I get a google.apps force close message.

I don't know if that is what prevents the automatic shutdowns, because I'm doing it so often myself.

I've noticed that when I work with the native Contacts app, I get a lot of force closes, so I try to only add contacts online.

One thing I did notice is that if I *don't* do a reboot after a google.apps force close msg, my email syncs go awry, as in I no longer get any gmail pushed to my phone. My gReader doesn't sync, etc.

So, in addition to any hardware/software probs from Samsung/AT&T, I think there are some issues with the Android 2.1 OS or google.apps itself.

Maybe just rebooting your phone manually on a daily basis will prevent the auto-shutdowns. Although this does remind me of my daily WM reboots <sigh>

Too many moving parts to figure out what's going on, imho.

Just a thought.

I hope I don't jinx myself here...

I've had the Captivate for about a month and have had ZERO shutdowns.

Now, I do reboot my phone just about after everytime I get a google.apps force close message.

I don't know if that is what prevents the automatic shutdowns, because I'm doing it so often myself.

I've noticed that when I work with the native Contacts app, I get a lot of force closes, so I try to only add contacts online.

One thing I did notice is that if I *don't* do a reboot after a google.apps force close msg, my email syncs go awry, as in I no longer get any gmail pushed to my phone. My gReader doesn't sync, etc.

So, in addition to any hardware/software probs from Samsung/AT&T, I think there are some issues with the Android 2.1 OS or google.apps itself.

Maybe just rebooting your phone manually on a daily basis will prevent the auto-shutdowns. Although this does remind me of my daily WM reboots <sigh>

Too many moving parts to figure out what's going on, imho.

Just a thought.

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

[ Edited ]
51 of 117 (2,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 6:34:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

rs2004 wrote:

So much for that idea. I had a shut down yesterday...

rs2004 wrote:

So much for that idea. I had a shut down yesterday...

52 of 117 (2,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2010 12:51:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

I received a Captivate early last week that I ordered online and was shipped from AT&T. It would shut down with a full charge. I could only relate the symptoms to a full charge, unplugging it and leaving it idle. I would try to use it after 5-15 minutes of sitting idle and it would be off. It seems to be some kind of hardware/power defect. It would not happen if I used it immediately after unplugging it and running the battery down some. After a couple of days of this, I took it back to the local AT&T store here in Denver on Friday and they were very helpful in swapping it out. It seems like a defective batch is circulating out there since not all owners are experiencing it.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem on the swapped Captivate I have now. It will get a lot of use this coming week and a few charge cycles.

I received a Captivate early last week that I ordered online and was shipped from AT&T. It would shut down with a full charge. I could only relate the symptoms to a full charge, unplugging it and leaving it idle. I would try to use it after 5-15 minutes of sitting idle and it would be off. It seems to be some kind of hardware/power defect. It would not happen if I used it immediately after unplugging it and running the battery down some. After a couple of days of this, I took it back to the local AT&T store here in Denver on Friday and they were very helpful in swapping it out. It seems like a defective batch is circulating out there since not all owners are experiencing it.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem on the swapped Captivate I have now. It will get a lot of use this coming week and a few charge cycles.

53 of 117 (2,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 3:48:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have a ATT Galaxy S or Samsung Captivate since the end of august.  I had been having the shut off problem several times per day (10).  Two days ago I disconnected the Wifi and background data from the phone.  Additionally, I installed in tthe phone My Task Killer.  So far the phone does not turn off by itself.  Yesterday, it turned off only 1.  Today, so far none.  Perhaps the problems are with the Wifi and background data.  I expect a prompt patch with the solution from ATT and Samsung.  Bert

I have a ATT Galaxy S or Samsung Captivate since the end of august.  I had been having the shut off problem several times per day (10).  Two days ago I disconnected the Wifi and background data from the phone.  Additionally, I installed in tthe phone My Task Killer.  So far the phone does not turn off by itself.  Yesterday, it turned off only 1.  Today, so far none.  Perhaps the problems are with the Wifi and background data.  I expect a prompt patch with the solution from ATT and Samsung.  Bert

54 of 117 (2,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 8:33:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

I don't think it has anything to do with the back ground and task killers. I used a task killer for over a month and still had random shut downs. They started after about the first month or so for me. It varies from day to day but it usually happens at least once or twice. 

I'm at least glad to know that it's not just my phone. Maybe that means there will be a fix for it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the back ground and task killers. I used a task killer for over a month and still had random shut downs. They started after about the first month or so for me. It varies from day to day but it usually happens at least once or twice. 

I'm at least glad to know that it's not just my phone. Maybe that means there will be a fix for it.

55 of 117 (2,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 7:05:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

My Samsung Captivate/Galaxy S  shuts down very frequently. It started within the first month and a half that I got it.  I've downloaded only 2 apps, plus email/facebook. And I am not one to spend a lot of time on my phone. I mainly use it for texting, and regular brief phone calls. The shutdowns occur on a fully charged battery. Every time I pick it up, it is off. After turning it on, I'll check it 5 minutes later and it's turned off again.

But days later, when the battery life has gone down, it seems to stay on all the time.

One more problem I've had (which has improved recently).. when I press the side button to unluck my phone, the screen lights up, but turns black before giving me time to swipe my phone to unlock it. The only solution is to continuously tap the home button really fast until it lights up and unlocks itself.

Hope I can get a new free one.

My Samsung Captivate/Galaxy S  shuts down very frequently. It started within the first month and a half that I got it.  I've downloaded only 2 apps, plus email/facebook. And I am not one to spend a lot of time on my phone. I mainly use it for texting, and regular brief phone calls. The shutdowns occur on a fully charged battery. Every time I pick it up, it is off. After turning it on, I'll check it 5 minutes later and it's turned off again.

But days later, when the battery life has gone down, it seems to stay on all the time.

One more problem I've had (which has improved recently).. when I press the side button to unluck my phone, the screen lights up, but turns black before giving me time to swipe my phone to unlock it. The only solution is to continuously tap the home button really fast until it lights up and unlocks itself.

Hope I can get a new free one.

56 of 117 (2,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 10:25:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

If your Captivate shuts down on a full (or nearly full) charge, as mine did, take it back. Get AT&T or Samsung to replace it until you get one that behaves correctly. It took me one try and I saved myself much frustration. Eventually the bad ones still sitting in stock rooms will get replaced. If it is some type of power/battery/hardware defect with a specific batch of phones, it could become a more serious problem down the road. The sooner the bad units get back into Samsung's hands for analysis, the better it is for all of us who enjoy their products.

If your Captivate shuts down on a full (or nearly full) charge, as mine did, take it back. Get AT&T or Samsung to replace it until you get one that behaves correctly. It took me one try and I saved myself much frustration. Eventually the bad ones still sitting in stock rooms will get replaced. If it is some type of power/battery/hardware defect with a specific batch of phones, it could become a more serious problem down the road. The sooner the bad units get back into Samsung's hands for analysis, the better it is for all of us who enjoy their products.

57 of 117 (2,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 7:14:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Loved this phone for 6 weeks, then began to get random shutdowns. Like others, it happened more often with fully charged battery.

Tried turning off power management, same problem.  Tried hard reset (of course, lost all applications), and so far no shutdowns, but still early-I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be facing the same problem again.

A very bad problem and Samsung should reimburse customers for selling a product with such an egregious issue.  If they don't take responsibility for what they've done, users should get together for a class action suit. 

Loved this phone for 6 weeks, then began to get random shutdowns. Like others, it happened more often with fully charged battery.

Tried turning off power management, same problem.  Tried hard reset (of course, lost all applications), and so far no shutdowns, but still early-I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be facing the same problem again.

A very bad problem and Samsung should reimburse customers for selling a product with such an egregious issue.  If they don't take responsibility for what they've done, users should get together for a class action suit. 

58 of 117 (2,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2010 9:11:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had this same problem. Sent one phone back, got new one, worked great for a week, then started shutting down again.  ATT sent me a new battery, and 1st time i charged it full, did it again. I found a connection to the way I unplugged after charging and the shut downs.  I get the battery full message and if I hit ok and then unplug, i get shutdowns.  if i just unplug my phone and swipe it out of sleep mode, no shut downs.  Gone a couple of weeks now with no shutdowns.  Who knows?  Love this phone, so I am just glad mine has finally stopped shutting off.  Works great now.  Also, GPS on 1st phone would never connect.  This phone locks right on to my location and works great.  LOVE THIS PHONE>

I had this same problem. Sent one phone back, got new one, worked great for a week, then started shutting down again.  ATT sent me a new battery, and 1st time i charged it full, did it again. I found a connection to the way I unplugged after charging and the shut downs.  I get the battery full message and if I hit ok and then unplug, i get shutdowns.  if i just unplug my phone and swipe it out of sleep mode, no shut downs.  Gone a couple of weeks now with no shutdowns.  Who knows?  Love this phone, so I am just glad mine has finally stopped shutting off.  Works great now.  Also, GPS on 1st phone would never connect.  This phone locks right on to my location and works great.  LOVE THIS PHONE>

59 of 117 (2,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 8:57:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm amazed at the number of users who are having the same problem.  My Captivate (bought at the end of August) worked fine for about four weeks and then I started having the shutdown problem.  I'd set the alarm the night before and the alarm would not go off.  When I'd press the button on the right side of the phone it would go through the power up scheme and give me a message that my software was updated.  My husband's Captivate, purchased the same day, is just fine.

After almost 2 hours with ATT on the phone today, escalating my call from one customer support person to another, and finally being sent on to a "retention" manager, not only did they not let on that this is a problem (It's doing what???) but they wanted to replace it with a refurbished phone.  I objected to that because I paid almost $200 for the phone and I wanted a new replacement.  They were not interested in accommodating me.  Now that I see the number of people that have gone through multiple phones, even that would appear to be a waste of time. 

We've been with ATT Wireless for about 15 years.  I'd expect that they would be more interested in customer satisfaction.  It appears, however, that if this is a widespread problem they just don't have a solution.  They have an obligation to either fix them or replace them.  Please let's keep up the dialogue and offer suggestions and solutions that you come up with.  I'll check back for updates and report my progress in trying to get this resolved. 

I'm amazed at the number of users who are having the same problem.  My Captivate (bought at the end of August) worked fine for about four weeks and then I started having the shutdown problem.  I'd set the alarm the night before and the alarm would not go off.  When I'd press the button on the right side of the phone it would go through the power up scheme and give me a message that my software was updated.  My husband's Captivate, purchased the same day, is just fine.

After almost 2 hours with ATT on the phone today, escalating my call from one customer support person to another, and finally being sent on to a "retention" manager, not only did they not let on that this is a problem (It's doing what???) but they wanted to replace it with a refurbished phone.  I objected to that because I paid almost $200 for the phone and I wanted a new replacement.  They were not interested in accommodating me.  Now that I see the number of people that have gone through multiple phones, even that would appear to be a waste of time. 

We've been with ATT Wireless for about 15 years.  I'd expect that they would be more interested in customer satisfaction.  It appears, however, that if this is a widespread problem they just don't have a solution.  They have an obligation to either fix them or replace them.  Please let's keep up the dialogue and offer suggestions and solutions that you come up with.  I'll check back for updates and report my progress in trying to get this resolved. 

60 of 117 (2,043 Views)