Captivate random shut downs

Teacher

Captivate random shut downs

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

There are lots of people that experience this issue. Does anyone return the phone back to ATT because of it? Did anyone talk to ATT about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to return my phone or replace it ;(

Message 1 of 117 (13,031 Views)
Teacher

Re: Captivate random shut downs

Yeah,  this happened to me this morning again. I'll be sending mine to Samsung, hoping that they are going to be able to reproduce the problem and hopefully come up with some fix. A technical support girl at Samsung told me that they are not aware of any issues but... she also said that they don't believe that this is hardware issue...

Message 16 of 117 (5,888 Views)
Voyager

mine started doing it this week. I deleted all the apps except the ones it came with. I layed it down on my table at 2am last night, this morning at 8am when i picked it up it was shut off. Turned it back on and have almost a full battery. Laid it back down and checked it at 12pm, it was cut off again, still almost full battery, i really like this phone, think about going back to my old 3g and waiting.

Message 17 of 117 (5,830 Views)
Teacher

I've replaced my phone today. So, let's see how it goes. I have a feeling that sooner or later it will shut down on its own again because this is in my opinion software problem and Samsung should address it.

Message 18 of 117 (5,808 Views)
Teacher

Just to let you guys know. So far, so good... No shut downs...

Message 19 of 117 (5,719 Views)
Contributor

I bought the Captivate yesterday and started having this issue this morning.  I disabled the power management setting...so far so good!  If this problem continues I will definitely be returning my phone.  It's a shame because otherwise it's an outstanding device; I just cannot afford to miss calls due to the fact that my phone randomly powers down. Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 117 (5,476 Views)
Teacher

I would recommend to exchange for a new device first. For me it worked, well at least 1 week no randome shutdowns...

Message 21 of 117 (4,488 Views)
Contributor

It's been shutting down on me all day today (for some strange reason this does happen much more often in the morning...five shut-downs in an hour before 7am and then three all day long).  I will be exchanging the phone for the same device and if it happens again, I'm moving on to the new Blackberry.  It's unfortunate because I love the Androids. Smiley Sad  I hope Samsung fixes this obvious flaw soon before they lose customers.

Message 22 of 117 (4,480 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Since I disabled the display power management setting that I mentioned in an earlier post, my phone has shutdown on me only once, and that was about a week ago.  I don't want to exchange my phone because I have already customized my phone quite a bit (i.e. downloaded lots of apps and configured shortcuts on the various home screens, etc.) and don't want to have to redo that, and also because I believe the issue to be a software problem that I hope will eventually be addressed via an update.  If I find that the problem is definitely hardware related then I will exchange the phone, but if it is software then I will wait it out since the problem is now manageable for me.

Message 23 of 117 (4,470 Views)
Contributor

I wish it would have worked for me because I love the phone.

Message 24 of 117 (4,464 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jsouza1:

ONLY once?  That's one time too many.  What if you're needed in an emergency or for some other important reason?  It's not acceptable.

Message 25 of 117 (4,377 Views)
Professor

I started having this problem last week, and finally got tired of it yesterday. I took the phone in for an exchange after work. I got no complaints, no hassles, just "I'm sorry you're having problems, I'll get you a new phone right now".

So far so good with the new phone, but only time will tell.

Message 26 of 117 (4,339 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

@Langhorn: 

I didn't say it was acceptable.  I said "I believe the issue to be a software problem that I hope will eventually be addressed via an update".  If you wish to exchange your phone, then by all means do so.  I'd be curious if it fixes the problem for you, and I will be awaiting your feedback.

Message 27 of 117 (4,316 Views)
Teacher

@jsouza1

You can backup and restore your settings, you know. Check out XDA site. It literally took 15 minutes for me to get everything back to my phone as it was before I exchanged it. Anyway, this is just a note...

What I was going to say is that I also thought that the problem was related to some software bug and had kind of sarcastic feeling before I took it back to ATT. I'm still not sure what is the root of this problem but it is gone since I got my new device. I'm not telling you to do so but I guess once your 30 days warranty expires it will be much harder to do...

The good thing is that  you can call Samsung and have them to replace your phone for a refurbished one for free within 1 year since the day of purchase.

Message 28 of 117 (4,293 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

@cakebreaker

Thanks, I'll look into that site.  It'd be nice to have a full backup of my device anyway.

I just took a quick look around at the XDA site and from my quick search there, I don't find anything that talks about android device restore/backup.  Can you forward the link?

Message 29 of 117 (4,282 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jsouza1:

This is not an exchange vs. don't exchange issue.  If it's as widespread at it appears, I'm not going to cross my fingers hoping that a replacement will not be one of the affected devices.  Too many people rely on my being there for them and while I would be awaiting an "eventual" fix (for who knows how long) I could be out of reach and not know it.  It's not like GPS or another feature glitch.  The potential ramifications are a lot more serious.  No need to await my feedback.  That's it.

As for your plans...I wish you well.

Message 30 of 117 (4,277 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.