Captivate random shut downs

Teacher

Captivate random shut downs

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

There are lots of people that experience this issue. Does anyone return the phone back to ATT because of it? Did anyone talk to ATT about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to return my phone or replace it ;(

Message 1 of 117 (13,047 Views)
Professor

Re: Captivate random shut downs

I haven't had that happen, but if it did I'd be on my way to the store for a replacement. Especially if it happened 3 times in one day.

Message 2 of 117 (11,677 Views)
Teacher

There are lots of people who is having this issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=731560

Message 3 of 117 (11,670 Views)
gg1
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Yup, it's been happening intermitently in the past 4 days.  Back to the store soon.

Message 4 of 117 (11,653 Views)
Teacher

This seem to be happening on Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S on T-Mobile) too:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=727006

Message 5 of 117 (11,646 Views)
Tutor

Mine has been randomly shutting down, too.  Usually once a day in the morning, but twice today so far.  I have never installed SetCPU on my phone.

Message 6 of 117 (11,540 Views)
Tutor

My phone spontaneously shut down twice in the last half hour, making this four times so far today.  Samsung will need to fix this or at least provide some logging feature to help determine what is causing this to occur.

Message 7 of 117 (11,518 Views)
Tutor

I think I've partially figured this out.  The random shut downs appear to occur if the phone is allowed to sit idle for a period of time, like on a desk or table.  If I keep the phone in my pants pocket, where it is slightly moved frequently, even if I am sitting at my desk, the phone does not randomly shut down.  My guess is that the frequent slight movement keeps the gyros active which in turn keep the phone CPU active and thus the phone does not shut down.  Samsung likely needs to change the default power profile for the device in order to fix this.

Message 8 of 117 (11,499 Views)
Teacher

I sent email to Samsun asking them about the issue but no response so far... I can't stand this bug it drives me nuts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Message 9 of 117 (11,470 Views)
Tutor

I think I've found a solution, one that works for me anyway.  YMMV.  I have found that if I disable the display power saving mode (Settings->Sound and display->Power saving mode), then the problem does not occur.  With that setting disabled (unchecked), I can leave my phone sitting idle on my desk for over an hour without it automatically shutting down.  I was not able to do this yesterday before I found this setting.  I'd be curious to know if this also works for anyone else besides myself.

Message 10 of 117 (11,410 Views)
Teacher

This is funny. I've come with the same solution after having couple of random reboots this morning. So far, so good - let's keep our fingers crossed Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 117 (6,006 Views)
Tutor

My first Captivate was shutting down literally every time it would go into standby. I returned it and just got my replacement yesterday. Wouldn't you know it, the new one has shut off twice since I got it. This issue needs to be handled by at&t/Samsung ASAP. Doesn't anybody test these phones before they release them??

Message 12 of 117 (5,990 Views)
Tutor

Try disabling the display power management setting that I mentioned a few posts back and see if that works for you.

Message 13 of 117 (5,987 Views)
Tutor

I disabled the power management feature mentioned and it hasn't shut off in 9+ hours thus far (most of that time the phone spent sitting on a table). It's still a bit premature for celebration, but I'm optimistic. Anyone know if there will be a fix for this anytime soon? I've heard a bug fix is being released for the GPS issue folks are having. This issue seems like a higher priority to me..

Message 14 of 117 (5,947 Views)
Tutor

Update: Good feeling gone. The phone stayed on through the night, but shut off about half an hour after I took it off the charger. Is anyone else noticing this issue seems to happen more during the day than at night, or am I just taking crazy pills? For me, it's almost like when the battery is fully charged (early in the day) I have this problem, but by evening time it goes away.

Message 15 of 117 (5,911 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.