Posted Jul 28, 2010
8:12:52 AM
Captivate random shut downs

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

There are lots of people that experience this issue. Does anyone return the phone back to ATT because of it? Did anyone talk to ATT about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to return my phone or replace it ;(

116 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(116)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2010 10:59:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

Got my Captivate on Black Friday and immediately it started shutting down by itself.  Just got off the phone with customer service.  They indicated a batch of bad batteries got out with this phone.  The one provided is not strong enough for its power requirements.  Since I'm not on warranty yet, I plan on calling Samsung for a replacement.  Otherwise, give AT&T a call for a new battery.

Got my Captivate on Black Friday and immediately it started shutting down by itself.  Just got off the phone with customer service.  They indicated a batch of bad batteries got out with this phone.  The one provided is not strong enough for its power requirements.  Since I'm not on warranty yet, I plan on calling Samsung for a replacement.  Otherwise, give AT&T a call for a new battery.

Re: Captivate random shut downs

91 of 117 (2,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2010 4:43:48 PM
(0)
Professor

dolls4too wrote:

ps did i meantion i tried the samsung focus for two days and that had huge issues. prior to this phone. Feel so disappointed .

What issues did you have with the Focus?

dolls4too wrote:

ps did i meantion i tried the samsung focus for two days and that had huge issues. prior to this phone. Feel so disappointed .

What issues did you have with the Focus?

92 of 117 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2010 10:43:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

MY focus also had random shut downs I gave up on that second day blaming new launch of new untried phone also was disappointed in lack of cut copy and paste, Unfortunately my second captivate that I got on Sunday started doing same thing tonight. This one I never downloaded a thing, not one app, turned everything off and keep checking it. Turned off while in the charger tonight. I really have had it. Love the phone, but from what I read here and on blogs and forums everywhere and regarding ones that have been out for months and on other carriers like this unless they get and answer ASAP I am done . Can't have this happening. We missed having a service call on Friday we needed because they called and we did not answer because I did not know phone had turned off. If you don't answer a lot of these places automatically cancel your call. I have broken dryer and new call wed, I had to give them other phone numbers in case. Hope they use them. I am truly upset that Samsung has allowed this to gone on so long without a recall and both best buys I went to where I got the two phones and ATT swear no issues. How can that be?

MY focus also had random shut downs I gave up on that second day blaming new launch of new untried phone also was disappointed in lack of cut copy and paste, Unfortunately my second captivate that I got on Sunday started doing same thing tonight. This one I never downloaded a thing, not one app, turned everything off and keep checking it. Turned off while in the charger tonight. I really have had it. Love the phone, but from what I read here and on blogs and forums everywhere and regarding ones that have been out for months and on other carriers like this unless they get and answer ASAP I am done . Can't have this happening. We missed having a service call on Friday we needed because they called and we did not answer because I did not know phone had turned off. If you don't answer a lot of these places automatically cancel your call. I have broken dryer and new call wed, I had to give them other phone numbers in case. Hope they use them. I am truly upset that Samsung has allowed this to gone on so long without a recall and both best buys I went to where I got the two phones and ATT swear no issues. How can that be?

93 of 117 (2,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2010 10:50:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, I am already on my second phone same issue started today  36 hours into the phone and I downloaded not a thing. Guess I am going to give up. Went to different best buy to get this one. So depressing love the phone but can't have bad one off the bat. I have to pick something else out as my prior phone on last legs. 

Thanks for the reply, I am already on my second phone same issue started today  36 hours into the phone and I downloaded not a thing. Guess I am going to give up. Went to different best buy to get this one. So depressing love the phone but can't have bad one off the bat. I have to pick something else out as my prior phone on last legs. 

94 of 117 (2,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 8:49:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have had my Captivate since August. I never had a shutdown problem until a week ago. One morning it shut down on me 5 times. So I installed Captivate Keep Alive, and it seems to help, however it does drain the battery faster. Also, it doesn't run automatically when I power up the phone in the morning. I have to run it manually.

I don't know whether I should talk to AT&T or Samsung becuase otherwise my phone is very good. Even the GPS works quite well.

Any advice?

I have had my Captivate since August. I never had a shutdown problem until a week ago. One morning it shut down on me 5 times. So I installed Captivate Keep Alive, and it seems to help, however it does drain the battery faster. Also, it doesn't run automatically when I power up the phone in the morning. I have to run it manually.

I don't know whether I should talk to AT&T or Samsung becuase otherwise my phone is very good. Even the GPS works quite well.

Any advice?

95 of 117 (2,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 6:43:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well I returned my second captivate yesterday for good. In all I had them both for 5 days each. The second one was a different build and had upgraded software. On the second one I had loaded not a single app nothing the only thing running was email ( and not allowing auto get) texting and a few phone calls. I never used the browser nothing else. When this one started shutting down ( power saving mode off) I called samsung, and they not only denied any issues, refused to send me a battery and said well send phone in for evaluation. I laughed at them. I finally decided that no phone was worth the time effort and aggrevation this one was causing. Interestingly when I called ATT to reactivate my old apple 3g for time being they said oh yes we have many issues with the captivate. You should return it. When I returned the phone to best buy they denied any issues and were selling one right then and there, I told the guy you probably will be fine I am jinxed ... Any how samsung has a real problem and when another manufacturer makes a  decent android phone for att I will try again. ( ps I have two accounts and my apple 4g is on my other line,) as much as I love the I phone having two I phones create issues with ring tones, and phone books I had to merge them for now. I also must say the battery life on the samsung was very poor. good luck to everyone else trying this phone out. It was a great phone with a major flaw. In all I missed a service call, two family calls and a wake up alarm in the short 10 days I owned these phones and spent countless hours setting them up, evaluating the issues researching the problem. NOt worth my time and effort at all. I do not think samsung has a clue.

Well I returned my second captivate yesterday for good. In all I had them both for 5 days each. The second one was a different build and had upgraded software. On the second one I had loaded not a single app nothing the only thing running was email ( and not allowing auto get) texting and a few phone calls. I never used the browser nothing else. When this one started shutting down ( power saving mode off) I called samsung, and they not only denied any issues, refused to send me a battery and said well send phone in for evaluation. I laughed at them. I finally decided that no phone was worth the time effort and aggrevation this one was causing. Interestingly when I called ATT to reactivate my old apple 3g for time being they said oh yes we have many issues with the captivate. You should return it. When I returned the phone to best buy they denied any issues and were selling one right then and there, I told the guy you probably will be fine I am jinxed ... Any how samsung has a real problem and when another manufacturer makes a  decent android phone for att I will try again. ( ps I have two accounts and my apple 4g is on my other line,) as much as I love the I phone having two I phones create issues with ring tones, and phone books I had to merge them for now. I also must say the battery life on the samsung was very poor. good luck to everyone else trying this phone out. It was a great phone with a major flaw. In all I missed a service call, two family calls and a wake up alarm in the short 10 days I owned these phones and spent countless hours setting them up, evaluating the issues researching the problem. NOt worth my time and effort at all. I do not think samsung has a clue.

96 of 117 (1,971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2010 8:02:32 AM
(0)
Voyager

since i downloaded Captivate KeepAlive from the marketplace i haven't experienced a shutdown at all. I have been up for almost 400 hours now. Before it would shutdown at around 100 hours. It was always after a full charge and the phone was in power saving mode. However it is working like a charm now. 

I just set my threshold to about 65%, so the program sends periodic keepalive signals to the cpu until that threshold is met. I haven't experienced too much of a battery drain either.

since i downloaded Captivate KeepAlive from the marketplace i haven't experienced a shutdown at all. I have been up for almost 400 hours now. Before it would shutdown at around 100 hours. It was always after a full charge and the phone was in power saving mode. However it is working like a charm now. 

I just set my threshold to about 65%, so the program sends periodic keepalive signals to the cpu until that threshold is met. I haven't experienced too much of a battery drain either.

97 of 117 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 5:05:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

ATT had me do a hard reset and sent me a new battery.

Neither solved the problem.

I have tried the Capitvate keep alive app and it does correct the random shut problem, the only trouble is that it eats up the battery charge, so you have to charge it more often.

Will Samsung/ATT admit there is a problem and come up with a permanent fix?

ATT had me do a hard reset and sent me a new battery.

Neither solved the problem.

I have tried the Capitvate keep alive app and it does correct the random shut problem, the only trouble is that it eats up the battery charge, so you have to charge it more often.

Will Samsung/ATT admit there is a problem and come up with a permanent fix?

98 of 117 (1,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 10:00:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

This problem is unavoidable when a manufacturer (Samsung) introduces a product that hasn't been tested fully (Captivate) to make some quick bucks and rely on a third-party operation system (Android) to run the device.  It's the same scenario as a PC vs. MAC.  However, the culprit here is AT&T.  Fair of not, since AT&T brands the phone and provides the service, it has the ultimate responsibility to rectify any issues.  Stop collecting money and leave your frustrated customers hanging.  Come up with a software fix quick!

This problem is unavoidable when a manufacturer (Samsung) introduces a product that hasn't been tested fully (Captivate) to make some quick bucks and rely on a third-party operation system (Android) to run the device.  It's the same scenario as a PC vs. MAC.  However, the culprit here is AT&T.  Fair of not, since AT&T brands the phone and provides the service, it has the ultimate responsibility to rectify any issues.  Stop collecting money and leave your frustrated customers hanging.  Come up with a software fix quick!

99 of 117 (1,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 9:06:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

unfortunately, installing Android 2.2 didn't solve the shut down problem :smileymad:

unfortunately, installing Android 2.2 didn't solve the shut down problem :smileymad:

100 of 117 (1,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 10:51:23 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by samven582 on Dec 28, 2010 at 11:13:18 AM

I went into an AT$T warranty center located in Islandia, New York. I told them that my Samsung Captivate was randomly shutting itself off and I want it replaced.Unfortunately they only offered my a replacement battery which I kindly refuse. I explain to them that the battery has noting to do with this problem but they refuse to believe me. Right there and then I called AT&T warranty support explain, my problem and they are sending me a replacement phone. They sad part of this story is AT$T has not acknowledge this problem. As soon I get my replacement phone its going on ebay and I am switching to T mobile for the G2. Enough is enough, I am done with of this Phone and AT$T.

I went into an AT$T warranty center located in Islandia, New York. I told them that my Samsung Captivate was randomly shutting itself off and I want it replaced.Unfortunately they only offered my a replacement battery which I kindly refuse. I explain to them that the battery has noting to do with this problem but they refuse to believe me. Right there and then I called AT&T warranty support explain, my problem and they are sending me a replacement phone. They sad part of this story is AT$T has not acknowledge this problem. As soon I get my replacement phone its going on ebay and I am switching to T mobile for the G2. Enough is enough, I am done with of this Phone and AT$T.

[ Edited ]
101 of 117 (1,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 12:50:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I really do not think it is a battery issue.  I am on my 3rd Samsung Captivate.  The first one I had for 6 weeks. For 6 weeks I dealt with constant dropped calls and a very weak signal.  I would have said it was ATT but all I had to do was take out my sim card and put it in my other phone..and the issues went away.  Anway…for the 6 weeks that I used the phone, I never had an issue with random shut downs. ATT sent me a replacement phone, I put my old battery in and right away I starting having random shutdowns every 10-15 minutes.  I used the phone for 3 days before returning it again. Now on my 3rd phone, I have no signal issues, so I am happy about that. But I do still have the random shutdowns, although much less frequently than my 2nd phone. Now, my phone shutdowns after I charge the battery to 100% and then let it sit idle for a few hours.  For example, before I go to bed at night, I charge the phone to 100%, unplug it, and then go to bed.  When I wake up in the morning, it has shut down.  If I charge it during the day and then use it, it has not shut down.  So, it seems to happen when I do not use it at all for a few hours…and it is on a full charge.  

I really do not think it is a battery issue.  I am on my 3rd Samsung Captivate.  The first one I had for 6 weeks. For 6 weeks I dealt with constant dropped calls and a very weak signal.  I would have said it was ATT but all I had to do was take out my sim card and put it in my other phone..and the issues went away.  Anway…for the 6 weeks that I used the phone, I never had an issue with random shut downs. ATT sent me a replacement phone, I put my old battery in and right away I starting having random shutdowns every 10-15 minutes.  I used the phone for 3 days before returning it again. Now on my 3rd phone, I have no signal issues, so I am happy about that. But I do still have the random shutdowns, although much less frequently than my 2nd phone. Now, my phone shutdowns after I charge the battery to 100% and then let it sit idle for a few hours.  For example, before I go to bed at night, I charge the phone to 100%, unplug it, and then go to bed.  When I wake up in the morning, it has shut down.  If I charge it during the day and then use it, it has not shut down.  So, it seems to happen when I do not use it at all for a few hours…and it is on a full charge.  

102 of 117 (1,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 5:10:04 PM
(0)
Explorer
The main solution I've read on this is to hit ok on the window that pops up when the phone is fully charged BEFORE you unplug it. I've always done that and never had an issue...
The main solution I've read on this is to hit ok on the window that pops up when the phone is fully charged BEFORE you unplug it. I've always done that and never had an issue...

103 of 117 (1,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 7:40:17 PM
(0)
Guru

foug11 wrote:

If you don't want to have the phone replaced again, then the Captivate Keep Alive app (free from the market) typically works well at preventing this particular pattern of shutdowns.  The app prevents the phone from going idle while fully charged, which is normally when the shutdown occurs.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

foug11 wrote:

If you don't want to have the phone replaced again, then the Captivate Keep Alive app (free from the market) typically works well at preventing this particular pattern of shutdowns.  The app prevents the phone from going idle while fully charged, which is normally when the shutdown occurs.

104 of 117 (1,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 7:26:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just called in for a warranty exchange for my phone (with a low IMEI number) -- I hope I have better luck with a later model capitivate. If my luck doesn't chage, with regard to the fix you mentioned about downloadng the Captivate Keep Alive app, do you know if that defeats the purpose of sleep mode and accelerate  battery usage? Between this, GPS and the 2.2 delays, I really wish I could call a do-over on this phone. I'm never doing a samsung again. ATT, tie yourself to HTC, the best Droid maker out ther.

I just called in for a warranty exchange for my phone (with a low IMEI number) -- I hope I have better luck with a later model capitivate. If my luck doesn't chage, with regard to the fix you mentioned about downloadng the Captivate Keep Alive app, do you know if that defeats the purpose of sleep mode and accelerate  battery usage? Between this, GPS and the 2.2 delays, I really wish I could call a do-over on this phone. I'm never doing a samsung again. ATT, tie yourself to HTC, the best Droid maker out ther.

105 of 117 (1,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 6:01:57 PM
(0)
Guru

Captivate Keep Alive does somewhat influence power consumption.  However, it's active only when the battery is nearly fully charged, so the effect is minimal.  I haven't personally needed or used the app, but I generally hear positive things about it.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Captivate Keep Alive does somewhat influence power consumption.  However, it's active only when the battery is nearly fully charged, so the effect is minimal.  I haven't personally needed or used the app, but I generally hear positive things about it.

106 of 117 (1,492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 9:15:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ok..last night I charged the battery to only 75% full...unplugged the phone and then went to bed..once again..the phone had shutdown when I checked it in the morning. I had even tried turning off 'power saving mode' in the settings.  Soooo, I guess charging the battery to 100% is not the issue.  It seems that it shuts down, regardless of how full the battery is, when the phone sits idle for a few hours.

I am going to try to only charge it during the day so that I am still using it after a charge and see if that makes a difference.

If that does not work...I will try that Keep Alive app that was mentioned.

Shutting down in the middle of the night is a major problem for me.  My wife works the night shift (7pm to 7am) and would be unable to get in touch with me if she needed to because we do not have a landline.

Ok..last night I charged the battery to only 75% full...unplugged the phone and then went to bed..once again..the phone had shutdown when I checked it in the morning. I had even tried turning off 'power saving mode' in the settings.  Soooo, I guess charging the battery to 100% is not the issue.  It seems that it shuts down, regardless of how full the battery is, when the phone sits idle for a few hours.

I am going to try to only charge it during the day so that I am still using it after a charge and see if that makes a difference.

If that does not work...I will try that Keep Alive app that was mentioned.

Shutting down in the middle of the night is a major problem for me.  My wife works the night shift (7pm to 7am) and would be unable to get in touch with me if she needed to because we do not have a landline.

Re: Captivate random shut downs--my update

107 of 117 (1,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 1:16:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

..... Captivate Keep Alive app, do you know if that defeats the purpose of sleep mode and accelerate  battery usage?

yes, it defeats the purpose of sleep mode and accelarates battery drain  

.........Between this, GPS and the 2.2 delays, I really wish I could call a do-over on this phone.

unfortunately, 2.2 doesn't solve shut down issue. It does GPS improvement thou.

..... Captivate Keep Alive app, do you know if that defeats the purpose of sleep mode and accelerate  battery usage?

yes, it defeats the purpose of sleep mode and accelarates battery drain  

.........Between this, GPS and the 2.2 delays, I really wish I could call a do-over on this phone.

unfortunately, 2.2 doesn't solve shut down issue. It does GPS improvement thou.

108 of 117 (1,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 2:46:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had AT&T send me a new phone and no issues. I was told there was something wrong with the phone they sent me..... So far it has been weeks and no unexpected shut offs. Before the phone would turn off on a daily basis.

I had AT&T send me a new phone and no issues. I was told there was something wrong with the phone they sent me..... So far it has been weeks and no unexpected shut offs. Before the phone would turn off on a daily basis.

109 of 117 (1,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 11:50:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

We (my wife's captivate) experienced the problem, and we exchanged the phone. 

Here are what I consider the fascinating parts of this:

• on July 30, a writer on this chain reported that if they turned off the power management feature, the problem stopped, and many readers confirmed this solution.  If course this is a work-around, not a solution.
  • AT&T seems to be unaware there is a problem apparently related to the power management feature of this phone.
  • I suspect part of the problem is related to the fact that when I exchanged the phone, no one was really interested in why.
  • So AT&T and Samsung got all of these returns without asking why, and there are 11 pages of reports of this problem with a work-around described?

We (my wife's captivate) experienced the problem, and we exchanged the phone. 

Here are what I consider the fascinating parts of this:

• on July 30, a writer on this chain reported that if they turned off the power management feature, the problem stopped, and many readers confirmed this solution.  If course this is a work-around, not a solution.
  • AT&T seems to be unaware there is a problem apparently related to the power management feature of this phone.
  • I suspect part of the problem is related to the fact that when I exchanged the phone, no one was really interested in why.
  • So AT&T and Samsung got all of these returns without asking why, and there are 11 pages of reports of this problem with a work-around described?

110 of 117 (998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 12:57:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

Apparently AT&T and Samsung are aware of the issue:

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/01/samsung-galaxy-s-news-update-samsung-captivate-turns-of...

I haven't decided whether to exchange my phone, however, because the shutdowns no longer occur for me.

Apparently AT&T and Samsung are aware of the issue:

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/01/samsung-galaxy-s-news-update-samsung-captivate-turns-off-shuts-down-if-made-before-1106.html

I haven't decided whether to exchange my phone, however, because the shutdowns no longer occur for me.

111 of 117 (1,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 5:56:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
I searched and never found that. So they think that they fixed it on Nov. 6. Bought my phones on Dec. 20. Exchanged one two weeks later. All three with numbers in the "bad" range (starting 3518). Not a confidence builder.
I searched and never found that. So they think that they fixed it on Nov. 6. Bought my phones on Dec. 20. Exchanged one two weeks later. All three with numbers in the "bad" range (starting 3518). Not a confidence builder.

112 of 117 (1,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 6:23:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

I exchanged several refurbished Captivates hoping to get one without the shudown issue but to no avail.  It's obvious that they're just re-sending the defective Captivates to people who buy refurbished so getting a working model is like playing roulette.  I also thought that I'd just buy a new Captivate to avoid the issue, but was too scared I'd once again get one with the defective hardware and be right back in the cycle again.   What we're facing is a sitution where AT&T & Samsung just point the finger at one another and we as customers get screwed.  I started a thread about this in customer care if you want to get more info on this. 

Ultimately, I just bought a new Motorola phone even though I specifically wanted one with a bigger screen.  I can't wait until Verizon or another carrier gets decent coverage in my town because bye-bye AT&T.

I exchanged several refurbished Captivates hoping to get one without the shudown issue but to no avail.  It's obvious that they're just re-sending the defective Captivates to people who buy refurbished so getting a working model is like playing roulette.  I also thought that I'd just buy a new Captivate to avoid the issue, but was too scared I'd once again get one with the defective hardware and be right back in the cycle again.   What we're facing is a sitution where AT&T & Samsung just point the finger at one another and we as customers get screwed.  I started a thread about this in customer care if you want to get more info on this. 

Ultimately, I just bought a new Motorola phone even though I specifically wanted one with a bigger screen.  I can't wait until Verizon or another carrier gets decent coverage in my town because bye-bye AT&T.

113 of 117 (1,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 11:14:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

Interesting.

Well, myself also had the random power shutdown going on and I finally called ATT right before xmas about it.

They knew of the problem and were happy to send out a replacement unit.

I got the new one, sent the old one back, and haven't had (knock on wood) any issues with the power shutdown at all since.

Sidenote though (more for a different topic) this phone however, when I connected it to Kies, performed a firmware update to the phone, and ever since then, it won't connect to Kies (previous phone never had this issue). Obviously it was something that happened with the update since it connected just fine prior to the update.

Interesting.

Well, myself also had the random power shutdown going on and I finally called ATT right before xmas about it.

They knew of the problem and were happy to send out a replacement unit.

I got the new one, sent the old one back, and haven't had (knock on wood) any issues with the power shutdown at all since.

Sidenote though (more for a different topic) this phone however, when I connected it to Kies, performed a firmware update to the phone, and ever since then, it won't connect to Kies (previous phone never had this issue). Obviously it was something that happened with the update since it connected just fine prior to the update.

Sent from my Android powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE

114 of 117 (1,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 2:05:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hi. I bought a new captivate and after 2 weeks it started powering off at random. I took it back to the at&t store in ann arbor and the salesman said I was the first to turn one in for this.problem! So I figured it was just that phone. I got another one and two weeks later the same thing! I called him back and he said maybe it was my sim card. So he replaced that, and it didn't help. I'm taking it back tomorrow and getting the windows focus. Too bad, cause I liked the phone otherwise.
Hi. I bought a new captivate and after 2 weeks it started powering off at random. I took it back to the at&t store in ann arbor and the salesman said I was the first to turn one in for this.problem! So I figured it was just that phone. I got another one and two weeks later the same thing! I called him back and he said maybe it was my sim card. So he replaced that, and it didn't help. I'm taking it back tomorrow and getting the windows focus. Too bad, cause I liked the phone otherwise.

115 of 117 (1,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 8:36:34 PM
(0)
Scholar
Maybe I'm the one that lucked out then. My replacement hasn't given me the shutdown problem and I've had for just over a month now.

The window focus is actually a pretty cool phone. I do like the design of the groups and the way the email and text messages present themselves. Its a fresh take.
Maybe I'm the one that lucked out then. My replacement hasn't given me the shutdown problem and I've had for just over a month now.

The window focus is actually a pretty cool phone. I do like the design of the groups and the way the email and text messages present themselves. Its a fresh take.
Sent from my Android powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE

116 of 117 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2011 11:04:25 AM
(0)
Contributor
I just read an article in wireless news about the random shut Downs on the galaxy s and the captivate. Seems Samsung has known about this problem for months. Any phone made before Nov. 6th 2010 can have this issue. The article also tells you what IMEI # that is on your box to look for to see if your phone was made before the Nov. 6th date. The article also said there have been no problems reported with the newer phones. I went back to the at&t store and they acted shocked at the article I showed them! They crazy thing is that I said I would take another captivate made after Nov. 6th but they had none. They are still selling the older ones! Why is Samsung still got those out there selling them? They said they'll get me a new one within the week. Finally!
I just read an article in wireless news about the random shut Downs on the galaxy s and the captivate. Seems Samsung has known about this problem for months. Any phone made before Nov. 6th 2010 can have this issue. The article also tells you what IMEI # that is on your box to look for to see if your phone was made before the Nov. 6th date. The article also said there have been no problems reported with the newer phones. I went back to the at&t store and they acted shocked at the article I showed them! They crazy thing is that I said I would take another captivate made after Nov. 6th but they had none. They are still selling the older ones! Why is Samsung still got those out there selling them? They said they'll get me a new one within the week. Finally!

117 of 117 (1,262 Views)