Captivate random shut downs

Teacher

Captivate random shut downs

I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

There are lots of people that experience this issue. Does anyone return the phone back to ATT because of it? Did anyone talk to ATT about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to return my phone or replace it ;(

Message 1 of 117 (13,069 Views)
Tutor

Re: Captivate random shut downs

What was your seeting for the keep alive. I mean battery %age u have  set for the app.

Message 76 of 117 (2,128 Views)
Tutor

I think the setting was at 91%.   I charged it last night, and it is still on.   There is even the Keep Alive icon up top.  Could this be for real? This will be the first app. I install when I get my new phone. :-)

Message 77 of 117 (2,122 Views)
Tutor

ok.so it mean it is working for you. If the app is on you will see the keep alive icon on the top. for my new phone i had downloaded this app but is not currently using it as i just had couple of shutdowns in last 10 days. So until the phone is working fine i will prefer not to use it. BTW is automatically gets started when you remove it from the Charger. So if you don't want to use it just stop it.

Message 78 of 117 (2,112 Views)
Tutor

OK I have had enough!!!!  It just shut down!  And when I started it again..............NO KEEP ALIVE ICON!!

I am soooooooooo done wth this phone!!!!  Any more suggestions!???

Message 79 of 117 (2,105 Views)
Tutor

Well then in this case wait for your new phone and hope it works fine.

Message 80 of 117 (2,104 Views)
Contributor

OK for the last freaken time, uninstall your task killer!!!!
Message 81 of 117 (2,455 Views)
Contributor

Mines hasn't shutdown once ever since I uninstall the stupid task killer
Message 82 of 117 (2,453 Views)
Contributor

I downloaded the stock software for the captivate thinking that that it was a software problem when my captivate started shutting down... so i downloaded android 2.1 again but the problem kept occuring :/ ive exchanged it three times cuz i rreally like the phone but now its just frustrating. Each one has the same problem and progressively gets worse by the day.. to the point where it shut down and reboot every 2 minutes.

Message 83 of 117 (2,304 Views)
Tutor

@lochris:

I'm not sure that the task killer is to blame, because my device no longer has the problem and I use the task killer frequently.  In my case, what seemed to solve the problem was disabling the display power management, but this does not seem to work for others.  So I believe that the cause of the problem continues to remain elusive.

Message 84 of 117 (2,292 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I got my new phone yesterday afternoon and it hasn't shut down yet, same apps installed.  Keep Alive installed just in case.

Message 85 of 117 (2,285 Views)
Contributor

Anyone tried an aftermarket battery?

Message 86 of 117 (2,143 Views)
Contributor

I thought I was somehow doing this. but then it did it sitting on a table. Sending it back this week for a new one. Some say Apps are the issue, if so what Apps are you running that are causing it?

Message 87 of 117 (2,142 Views)
Tutor

I got my capitvate last tuesday i came off blackberries and was patiently waiting for my upgrade, i whought i did a good job researching a phone, wanted an android. Well first few days seemed fine, but starting yesterday when i finally got the hang of this phone and spend contless hours fixing my calander and apps etc it starting shutting off , all day yesterday thanksgiving and today. missed alot of relative calls. when i put the seach into google for captivate shutting off, i got hundreds and hundreds of links, going way back.  so I ask what is the story i got my phone at best buy do i return it for another samsung or give up and is this issue on all androids or just this one. I already tried the fixes of uploading new software, shutting off power management, have an extra abattery and two chargers, so none of that is the cause or solution . so upset and disappointed, in att, samsung, best buy and myself for not catching this prior to purchase. was cosidering a samsung tablet now no way going to get an ipad.

Message 88 of 117 (2,019 Views)
Tutor

ps did i meantion i tried the samsung focus for two days and that had huge issues. prior to this phone. Feel so disappointed .

Message 89 of 117 (2,017 Views)
Tutor

dolls4too wrote:

...  so I ask what is the story i got my phone at best buy do i return it for another samsung or give up and is this issue on all androids or just this one....

Well, it took me three phones (all exchanged for new phones within my 30 day trial), but this one has been working flawlessly for about 8 weeks now.  Seems a lot of people go through several before getting a good one because after 30 days, Samsung/AT&T will only send a refurbished phone (not a new one)...and since both AT&T and Samsung don't fully acknowledge the problem or have a solution, they are probably sending out a lot of already defective phones as refurbs.

As for me, I do love the phone and still think it's one of the best out there for the price (heard it's $0.01 on Amazon with a new contract).  The screen is amazing and it's lightening fast now that I rooted it and installed a custom ROM.  Sure it voids my warranty, which will be a concern if this one suddenly starts shutting down, but worth the risk for me to have the latest and greatest (i.e. Froyo, no bloat-wear, and soon (?) Gingerbread which I'll be able to run weeks after general release).  And that brings up a point too:  AT&T and Samsung are notoriously slow at getting their updates out...maybe the slowest of all the carriers/vendors?

But I digress.  If it were me, I'd return it to BestBuy for refund/credit since you're within 30 days of purchase and then go grab one on-line for next to nothing and keep your fingers crossed.  We shouldn't have to go though all these hassles, and according to most sights, it's the minority that are having the shutdown issues.  That doesn't seem realistic, but if it was the majority, there would be a class-action suit by now...or is there one???

As for it being the same on all Android phones, I'd have to say a resounding no!!  Most phones have their own set of issues but most aren't this drastic or insane!

Message 90 of 117 (1,979 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.