Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 10, 2010
4:22:52 PM
View profile
Captivate or Focus

I am kinda at a cross roads.  My wife is now interested in getting a smart phone but it would be me that gets it.  Before she couldn't see the sense in getting one but for some reason now she has changed her mind.

I liked the captivate but with all the issues that it has i am kinda leary about purchasing it.

I really like the focus and think it is a bit more flexible than the captivate and it is very much not as buggy.  plus i can count on MS putting out updates.  not so much with android.

kinda in the middle.

I am kinda at a cross roads.  My wife is now interested in getting a smart phone but it would be me that gets it.  Before she couldn't see the sense in getting one but for some reason now she has changed her mind.

I liked the captivate but with all the issues that it has i am kinda leary about purchasing it.

I really like the focus and think it is a bit more flexible than the captivate and it is very much not as buggy.  plus i can count on MS putting out updates.  not so much with android.

kinda in the middle.

Captivate or Focus

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 5:00:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I love my captivate, but I have the focus too and I have to say just after 2 days having it, I think it would be the better choice. I do encounter those bugs with the captivate, however you can root and install cognition which I have but for someone who has never used one or who doesn't want to deal with that. Then the focus would be the better choice. However I have noticed one thing, I thought the captivate used data alot like 10-15 a day and maybe 25-30 with streaming and what not, however this focus has me baffled on why it's using sooo much data, 68 mb in one day with no streaming what so ever. So there you go!! Smiley Very Happy from someone who has both in my opinion I would go with the focus, I mean if you want a phone you can customize and finaggle with all day then captivate would be awesome, you want a phone that just works but appears right now to use a large amount of data w/o streaming then focus it. Smiley Very Happy

I love my captivate, but I have the focus too and I have to say just after 2 days having it, I think it would be the better choice. I do encounter those bugs with the captivate, however you can root and install cognition which I have but for someone who has never used one or who doesn't want to deal with that. Then the focus would be the better choice. However I have noticed one thing, I thought the captivate used data alot like 10-15 a day and maybe 25-30 with streaming and what not, however this focus has me baffled on why it's using sooo much data, 68 mb in one day with no streaming what so ever. So there you go!! Smiley Very Happy from someone who has both in my opinion I would go with the focus, I mean if you want a phone you can customize and finaggle with all day then captivate would be awesome, you want a phone that just works but appears right now to use a large amount of data w/o streaming then focus it. Smiley Very Happy

Re: Captivate or Focus

2 of 15 (1,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 5:46:21 PM
(0)
Professor

Ummm...Focus...do not think about it any longer.  Focus.

Ummm...Focus...do not think about it any longer.  Focus.

3 of 15 (1,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 3:37:42 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:40:42 AM

the deciding factor sould be what are you planning on using it for?

The itergration of the functions for the windows phone is ahead of the android based phones, you can tie windows live, xboxlive, uverse all through a single account, the major drawback is you cannot sync a locally installed outlook client for calendar and contacts, you either have to hand enter them or sync them to your windows live account then to the phone.

As far as updates go - android does update, but the carrier has to approve the update. MS did a different plan on tnis, they setup two validation labs for the updates - one to their specifications and one to ATT specifications, they run the updates through both validations, when they release the update to ATT they already know it is going to pass ATT's validation, so updates will probably be faster, Apple does the same thing on their OS for the Iphone

the one nice thing about the w7p - you can uninstall applications - with out having to hack the phone, including att loaded apps like navigator or uverse mobile. This in it self is a major selling point for the phone

the deciding factor sould be what are you planning on using it for?

The itergration of the functions for the windows phone is ahead of the android based phones, you can tie windows live, xboxlive, uverse all through a single account, the major drawback is you cannot sync a locally installed outlook client for calendar and contacts, you either have to hand enter them or sync them to your windows live account then to the phone.

As far as updates go - android does update, but the carrier has to approve the update. MS did a different plan on tnis, they setup two validation labs for the updates - one to their specifications and one to ATT specifications, they run the updates through both validations, when they release the update to ATT they already know it is going to pass ATT's validation, so updates will probably be faster, Apple does the same thing on their OS for the Iphone

the one nice thing about the w7p - you can uninstall applications - with out having to hack the phone, including att loaded apps like navigator or uverse mobile. This in it self is a major selling point for the phone

[ Edited ]
4 of 15 (1,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 3:39:08 AM
(0)
Expert

pinbak wrote:

the windows live accoutn syncs by default every 30 minutes, are you bringing up the xblox live section - that is online data access also.

pinbak wrote:

the windows live accoutn syncs by default every 30 minutes, are you bringing up the xblox live section - that is online data access also.

5 of 15 (1,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 3:47:10 AM
(0)
Professor

mystery45 wrote:

kinda in the middle.

I was being flippant earlier, but serious as well.  Based on the criteria you have mentioned, the Focus is for you.

Captivate is more buggy though the Focus is so new it is conceivable bugs will be identified though it had FAR more internal testing.

MS does put updates out with less intereference from the network provider.  They have not released an update yet, but their statement is that the update will be provided to the network for review before being pushed DIRECTLY from MS to the phones.  IOW the network may request to add items to the update but may not delay or hinder the updates.

mystery45 wrote:

kinda in the middle.

I was being flippant earlier, but serious as well.  Based on the criteria you have mentioned, the Focus is for you.

Captivate is more buggy though the Focus is so new it is conceivable bugs will be identified though it had FAR more internal testing.

MS does put updates out with less intereference from the network provider.  They have not released an update yet, but their statement is that the update will be provided to the network for review before being pushed DIRECTLY from MS to the phones.  IOW the network may request to add items to the update but may not delay or hinder the updates.

6 of 15 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 5:04:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm not adverse to rooting or installing a custom ROM as I did it frequently with my WM phones but I like to know out of the box, the phone is reliable and the custom mods fix more problems than they create.

The Captivate is too buggy for me and after a week I've given up; packed it up last night and sending it back. Going to miss the screen but that's about it. Guess I'll wait to see if AT&T decides to carry some serious phones in Q1 for Android. Until then, back to my Droid on Verizon.

I've used iOS, WM, Blackberry and now Android so I'm not a fanboy of any platform, I just use what I like best. MS has always been good at improving on existing products and WP7 needs plenty of improvement IMHO. Android too, needs polish and isn't perfect by any means. For me, I see nothing that WP7 offers to even think about switching from Android.

I'm not adverse to rooting or installing a custom ROM as I did it frequently with my WM phones but I like to know out of the box, the phone is reliable and the custom mods fix more problems than they create.

The Captivate is too buggy for me and after a week I've given up; packed it up last night and sending it back. Going to miss the screen but that's about it. Guess I'll wait to see if AT&T decides to carry some serious phones in Q1 for Android. Until then, back to my Droid on Verizon.

I've used iOS, WM, Blackberry and now Android so I'm not a fanboy of any platform, I just use what I like best. MS has always been good at improving on existing products and WP7 needs plenty of improvement IMHO. Android too, needs polish and isn't perfect by any means. For me, I see nothing that WP7 offers to even think about switching from Android.

7 of 15 (1,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 6:43:07 AM
(0)
Expert

mgerbasio wrote:

Kind of curious - "WP7 needs plenty of improvement" as to what you consider needs improvement, can you document a few that are overall and not just personal preference?

mgerbasio wrote:

Kind of curious - "WP7 needs plenty of improvement" as to what you consider needs improvement, can you document a few that are overall and not just personal preference?

8 of 15 (1,778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 9:05:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

Well I guess it is all personal preference as what I might need and want is different than what you may need in a phone. My friends using a BB don't think HTML email is essential, I do.

Quick list - Cut and Paste, Multitasking, File Manager, Navigation, Limited Apps. I haven't tried WP7 and read mostly positive reviews but these (at least the first two) are essential for me. I also read ringtones/alarms are an issue too, don't remember exactly what it was. Limited Apps.

I know nothing about software development but when a program that has been a staple on WM platform since before it was WM isn't developing for WP7, it makes me wonder what's going on with the platform, Pocket Informant by webis.

Well I guess it is all personal preference as what I might need and want is different than what you may need in a phone. My friends using a BB don't think HTML email is essential, I do.

Quick list - Cut and Paste, Multitasking, File Manager, Navigation, Limited Apps. I haven't tried WP7 and read mostly positive reviews but these (at least the first two) are essential for me. I also read ringtones/alarms are an issue too, don't remember exactly what it was. Limited Apps.

I know nothing about software development but when a program that has been a staple on WM platform since before it was WM isn't developing for WP7, it makes me wonder what's going on with the platform, Pocket Informant by webis.

9 of 15 (1,741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 9:46:16 AM
(0)
Expert

mgerbasio wrote:

so personal opinion for the majority of your comments.

cut and paste - this is being worked on and will be available as an update

multitasking -  dependings on the use of the phone, can see it for business use, but multitasking for streaming music or the such is not a high priority

navigation is already there, you can do it from att navigator, free stuff will be around Mapquest is reported to be working on it.

limited apps - gee the phone has been out what 3 days? How many useful apps where available for an android phones on the 3rd day? By usefull I do not mean social networking, utub or anything like that.

ringtone - while I like odd ringtones as well as the next person, this is not a big failure (personal opinion) but it is definately NOT a major issue with the phones or the OS, have not seen what you are talking about for alarms, they work fine on my focus.

Suspect that the company is not bothering becasue the WP7 phone already has the majority of those functions - add to the fact ther is no desktop sync for a w7p phone to outlook desktop at all. The functionality was not added to the OS, althought it maybe in the future.

mgerbasio wrote:

so personal opinion for the majority of your comments.

cut and paste - this is being worked on and will be available as an update

multitasking -  dependings on the use of the phone, can see it for business use, but multitasking for streaming music or the such is not a high priority

navigation is already there, you can do it from att navigator, free stuff will be around Mapquest is reported to be working on it.

limited apps - gee the phone has been out what 3 days? How many useful apps where available for an android phones on the 3rd day? By usefull I do not mean social networking, utub or anything like that.

ringtone - while I like odd ringtones as well as the next person, this is not a big failure (personal opinion) but it is definately NOT a major issue with the phones or the OS, have not seen what you are talking about for alarms, they work fine on my focus.

Suspect that the company is not bothering becasue the WP7 phone already has the majority of those functions - add to the fact ther is no desktop sync for a w7p phone to outlook desktop at all. The functionality was not added to the OS, althought it maybe in the future.

10 of 15 (1,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 4:36:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks guys.  I think i am going to go with the focus.  I think they are working on being  able to duel boot android on it as well.

i don't use outlook for mail i prefer webmail anyway.  i gave up PC based browsers a long time ago.  the only one that i use is at work and i won't be using this phone for that.

I like the captivate but all the bugs just drive me away from it. 

to bad it is a great phone.

Thanks guys.  I think i am going to go with the focus.  I think they are working on being  able to duel boot android on it as well.

i don't use outlook for mail i prefer webmail anyway.  i gave up PC based browsers a long time ago.  the only one that i use is at work and i won't be using this phone for that.

I like the captivate but all the bugs just drive me away from it. 

to bad it is a great phone.

11 of 15 (749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 11:05:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

Personal opinion? Isn't everything personal opinion when it comes to what features you want in a phone, other than perhaps calling? Hey, if WM7 works for you, go for it. The more competion, the harder each company works in staying ahead of the pack, better for all of us.

I don't want to wait for features especially these are available in other platforms. Why does it benefit me to wait, is Steve Ballmer going to take half my money now and half when he delivers on promised features? I've been a using pocket MS devices since the HP 100LX, Jornadas, ipaqs, MDA, MDAII, Tilt, Fuze and I've sure several I've forgotten. I have no ax to grind.

He's the link from WebIS. no, the features aren't already there:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1&showen...

I always thought MS was extremely good at starting behind the pack and adding features until it dominated the market. Don't think they'll do it this time but there was a time when Lotus 123, Supercalc, Multimate didn't think they'd lose marketshare to MS either.

Sounds like your happy with your selection. Very nice. I'm bring my Captivate back today a week into the 30 day trial, who knows, maybe I'll pick up a WM7 phone and try it out myself.

Personal opinion? Isn't everything personal opinion when it comes to what features you want in a phone, other than perhaps calling? Hey, if WM7 works for you, go for it. The more competion, the harder each company works in staying ahead of the pack, better for all of us.

I don't want to wait for features especially these are available in other platforms. Why does it benefit me to wait, is Steve Ballmer going to take half my money now and half when he delivers on promised features? I've been a using pocket MS devices since the HP 100LX, Jornadas, ipaqs, MDA, MDAII, Tilt, Fuze and I've sure several I've forgotten. I have no ax to grind.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1&showentry=242

I always thought MS was extremely good at starting behind the pack and adding features until it dominated the market. Don't think they'll do it this time but there was a time when Lotus 123, Supercalc, Multimate didn't think they'd lose marketshare to MS either.

Sounds like your happy with your selection. Very nice. I'm bring my Captivate back today a week into the 30 day trial, who knows, maybe I'll pick up a WM7 phone and try it out myself.

12 of 15 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 1:21:33 PM
(0)
Expert

mgerbasio wrote:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1&showen...

not to sure about what you mean about brig the captivate back into the 30 day trial - you might want to review the terms you get 1 exchange in the 30 day period unless you physically return the phone and wait for the paperwork / upgrade status to change.

mgerbasio wrote:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1&showentry=242

not to sure about what you mean about brig the captivate back into the 30 day trial - you might want to review the terms you get 1 exchange in the 30 day period unless you physically return the phone and wait for the paperwork / upgrade status to change.

13 of 15 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 5:02:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I like the Captivate a lot, as I'm still deciding on whether it be my next phone. I'm not too interested in the Focus, as I don't desire or have the needs for a Windows phone. The Captivate is better designed in terms of styling, too, I think.

I honestly think that the Focus looks sort of like a little toy, or kind of like the Solstice, but a little bit different design. All Samsung phones kind of look the same, it seems. They are more round-shaped, while LG's are more boxy.

What I'm deciding on for my next upgrade is either the Captivate, the HTC Surround, (despite that it appears to be a Windows phone) or even the measly iPhone 2G, even though it is pretty outdated...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I like the Captivate a lot, as I'm still deciding on whether it be my next phone. I'm not too interested in the Focus, as I don't desire or have the needs for a Windows phone. The Captivate is better designed in terms of styling, too, I think.

I honestly think that the Focus looks sort of like a little toy, or kind of like the Solstice, but a little bit different design. All Samsung phones kind of look the same, it seems. They are more round-shaped, while LG's are more boxy.

What I'm deciding on for my next upgrade is either the Captivate, the HTC Surround, (despite that it appears to be a Windows phone) or even the measly iPhone 2G, even though it is pretty outdated...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 15 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 5:45:40 PM
(0)
Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:

the focus is very close to the captivate in looks considering they are built off the same platform - same exact screen for one point

Wild Banchi wrote:

the focus is very close to the captivate in looks considering they are built off the same platform - same exact screen for one point

15 of 15 (663 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments