Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 21, 2010
3:08:20 PM
View profile
Captivate does not sync with Samsung Kies??

Got my captivate today, after finding usb drivers, it is detected through wmp and mass storage but for some reason it will not get detected in Kies software. Has at&t taken another horrible step to further their monopoly over the iPhone market and blocked this software from synching? Could not find any solutions, figured since the phone was just released 2 days ago so this makes the most sense.

Got my captivate today, after finding usb drivers, it is detected through wmp and mass storage but for some reason it will not get detected in Kies software. Has at&t taken another horrible step to further their monopoly over the iPhone market and blocked this software from synching? Could not find any solutions, figured since the phone was just released 2 days ago so this makes the most sense.

Captivate does not sync with Samsung Kies??

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 3:25:44 PM
(0)
Master

I read a lot ppl have Kies working just fine with Captivate. The main reason AT&T don't want Kies to be included is that it also supports tethering.

I read a lot ppl have Kies working just fine with Captivate. The main reason AT&T don't want Kies to be included is that it also supports tethering.

Re: Captivate does not sync with Samsung Kies??

2 of 20 (13,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 3:31:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah but att already capped the unlimited plans so who cares about tethering, dunno who comes up with all these dumb rules at at&t but they need to get fired.

Also if anyone has had success with kies can you please post some instructions...I get to the point where its trying to locate my device but does not find anything. I can still see my phone in explorer though.

Yeah but att already capped the unlimited plans so who cares about tethering, dunno who comes up with all these dumb rules at at&t but they need to get fired.

Also if anyone has had success with kies can you please post some instructions...I get to the point where its trying to locate my device but does not find anything. I can still see my phone in explorer though.

3 of 20 (13,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 4:52:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

On my Captivate, I Touch-Applications-Settings-Applications-USB settings and then hit Samsung Kies. That will take it out of Mass storge if you are in it.  This worked for me. Let me know if this work for you.

On my Captivate, I Touch-Applications-Settings-Applications-USB settings and then hit Samsung Kies. That will take it out of Mass storge if you are in it.  This worked for me. Let me know if this work for you.

4 of 20 (13,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 8:03:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

I tried that, but kies was still not being able to detect the phone at all, also tried putting the usb into manual selection mode so that it asks me everytime I connect to the computer.

I tried that, but kies was still not being able to detect the phone at all, also tried putting the usb into manual selection mode so that it asks me everytime I connect to the computer.

5 of 20 (13,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 8:18:25 AM
(0)
Master

Did you install the USB driver first? Mass storage probably don't need any driver but other modes do.

Did you install the USB driver first? Mass storage probably don't need any driver but other modes do.

6 of 20 (13,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 9:38:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

yeah got the 64bit usb driver for win7 already installed, phone is being detected by explorer and windows, only kies does not detect it.

yeah got the 64bit usb driver for win7 already installed, phone is being detected by explorer and windows, only kies does not detect it.

7 of 20 (13,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 9:54:15 AM
(0)
Contributor
I had the same problem and this worked for me: 1. Connected your device via USB and Samsung Kies selected in the USB menu. 2. Open Samsung Kies 3. In the top left corner of Kies is a Kies button, click the button 4. select driver recovery. 5. Let it do it's thing. Hope it helps.
I had the same problem and this worked for me: 1. Connected your device via USB and Samsung Kies selected in the USB menu. 2. Open Samsung Kies 3. In the top left corner of Kies is a Kies button, click the button 4. select driver recovery. 5. Let it do it's thing. Hope it helps.

8 of 20 (13,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 10:12:37 AM
(0)
Master

When I looked at the Samsung UK site where you can download the Kies, there is no driver for download. So I suspect:

1. Kies comes with its own driver in the package. But..

2. Samsung made a special version of the driver for US phones to make it incompatible with Kies. Remember, none of the carriers want Kies so that they can charge you extra for tethering.

3. The version of the driver is newer so that even if you installed Kies, the Kies driver won't try to update the one you installed separately.

Just a guess.

When I looked at the Samsung UK site where you can download the Kies, there is no driver for download. So I suspect:

1. Kies comes with its own driver in the package. But..

2. Samsung made a special version of the driver for US phones to make it incompatible with Kies. Remember, none of the carriers want Kies so that they can charge you extra for tethering.

3. The version of the driver is newer so that even if you installed Kies, the Kies driver won't try to update the one you installed separately.

Just a guess.

9 of 20 (13,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 11:53:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is there another option for transferring data from the PC to the Captivate? It seems sometimes the USB connection  fails for me at times.

Is there another option for transferring data from the PC to the Captivate? It seems sometimes the USB connection  fails for me at times.

10 of 20 (13,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 2:14:29 PM
(0)
Master

Just got my Captivate and installed Kies without installing the driver from Samsung US site. Everything works fine in my Win7 64-bit.

Just got my Captivate and installed Kies without installing the driver from Samsung US site. Everything works fine in my Win7 64-bit.

11 of 20 (10,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 5:33:20 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by tamanaco on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:44:26 AM

I also installed Kies on Win 7 32-bit from the UK site and got it to work. I had already installed the USB driver from the Samsung US site to connect using Mass Storage to transfer my music to the external SD card.  I don't know if Kies replaced the previous Samsung US USB driver as both MTP and Mass storage connections are working. I also set my USB driver on the phone to prompt me when I connect to the USB port.

I'm still testing, and so far found a couple "minor" issues with Kies

All the " ' " Apostrophes in the contacts  get translated to " " " Quotes.

The Categories do not correlate to anything  (Groups)

I have not found a way to "map" the contact fields of Outlook to the Phone (Lack of granularity)

Kies takes a while to get going, but I guess is because I have a large contact list

I have not used it to sync any of my multimedia because I still don't know where or how it is going to store the media files in the phone. I don't see a setting where I can tell it where to store it (SDCard or SD) and/or if the folder structure of my MP3 library in my PC will be preserved. (Meaning Genre/Artist Name/Album Name/Track Names folder structure). All the MTP based media managers that I have tried place all the album tracks on a single folder and rely solely on tags. I have always used Mass Storage instead of MTP because it's quick and it allows me to transfer my folder and file structure intact. Also I don't know if Kies adds digital rights security tags to the multimedia files. Has anyone used Kies to sync their multimedia?  When I get a chance, I'm going to try doubleTwist to manage the multimedia in my phone. (I think it uses Mass Storage instead of MTP) Has anyone tried doubleTwist with their Captivate?

Edit: Forgot to mention... PC Internet (tethering) is also working on my PC. I'm editing this post connected to my USB port via my Captivate... Downloads 2.41 Mbps Uploads 0.33 Mbps.

I also installed Kies on Win 7 32-bit from the UK site and got it to work. I had already installed the USB driver from the Samsung US site to connect using Mass Storage to transfer my music to the external SD card.  I don't know if Kies replaced the previous Samsung US USB driver as both MTP and Mass storage connections are working. I also set my USB driver on the phone to prompt me when I connect to the USB port.

I'm still testing, and so far found a couple "minor" issues with Kies

All the " ' " Apostrophes in the contacts  get translated to " " " Quotes.

The Categories do not correlate to anything  (Groups)

I have not found a way to "map" the contact fields of Outlook to the Phone (Lack of granularity)

Kies takes a while to get going, but I guess is because I have a large contact list

I have not used it to sync any of my multimedia because I still don't know where or how it is going to store the media files in the phone. I don't see a setting where I can tell it where to store it (SDCard or SD) and/or if the folder structure of my MP3 library in my PC will be preserved. (Meaning Genre/Artist Name/Album Name/Track Names folder structure). All the MTP based media managers that I have tried place all the album tracks on a single folder and rely solely on tags. I have always used Mass Storage instead of MTP because it's quick and it allows me to transfer my folder and file structure intact. Also I don't know if Kies adds digital rights security tags to the multimedia files. Has anyone used Kies to sync their multimedia?  When I get a chance, I'm going to try doubleTwist to manage the multimedia in my phone. (I think it uses Mass Storage instead of MTP) Has anyone tried doubleTwist with their Captivate?

Edit: Forgot to mention... PC Internet (tethering) is also working on my PC. I'm editing this post connected to my USB port via my Captivate... Downloads 2.41 Mbps Uploads 0.33 Mbps.

[ Edited ]
12 of 20 (9,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 9:42:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

In regard to other methods of transfer data.  I use the downloaded app ES File Explorer. From its menu you can select show tabs to see Local, LAN, and FTP.  I used the LAN connection for WiFi to connect to my pc via ipaddr/sharename (with permissions turned on from the pc and loggin in from the phone).  Then I transferred files back and forth between pc and Captivate using Captivate ES File Explorer.  This is done by copy/paste.  I put mp3 files in /media folder previously created on the phone by Kies.  Had to turn phone off and back on before it listed the music in the Music Player.  Worked great.  The Kies works great on my Windows XP 32 using the drivers that were available with Kies within a day after Captivate launch.

In regard to other methods of transfer data.  I use the downloaded app ES File Explorer. From its menu you can select show tabs to see Local, LAN, and FTP.  I used the LAN connection for WiFi to connect to my pc via ipaddr/sharename (with permissions turned on from the pc and loggin in from the phone).  Then I transferred files back and forth between pc and Captivate using Captivate ES File Explorer.  This is done by copy/paste.  I put mp3 files in /media folder previously created on the phone by Kies.  Had to turn phone off and back on before it listed the music in the Music Player.  Worked great.  The Kies works great on my Windows XP 32 using the drivers that were available with Kies within a day after Captivate launch.

13 of 20 (9,901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 11:32:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

TreeDigger,

Is the ES File Explorer app free?

TreeDigger,

Is the ES File Explorer app free?

14 of 20 (9,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 7:02:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

To connect without Kies, Settings -> Applications -> USB Settings and select "Mass Storage". Then, your PC will recognize 2 separate devices, 1 is the internal storage and the second is the external microSD ( If inserted into the phone ).

Hope it helps,

To connect without Kies, Settings -> Applications -> USB Settings and select "Mass Storage". Then, your PC will recognize 2 separate devices, 1 is the internal storage and the second is the external microSD ( If inserted into the phone ).

Hope it helps,

15 of 20 (9,818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 12:41:21 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by steaveg on Jul 24, 2010 at 12:42:05 AM

Okay, I have fought long and hard with Kies on Win7 64.  I have learned a few things.

1. Installing the drivers from Samsung that were not digitally signed was a bad idea.

2. Once you install the phone improperly, you may be able to re-install it by plugging it into a different USB port.  This worked for me.

3. If you are getting the SGH-i897 with a yellow exlamation point in Device Mangler, no problem. 

a)  Shut down Kies. 

b)  Kill the trask tray auto-launcher for Kies.

c)  Connect the phone and select Kies mode.

d) WAIT until it says "connected" on your phone.  Note that there is no yellow exclamation point under "Portable Devices".

e)  Launch Kies.  Enjoy a really poorly-done app.

4. In Kies, if you do "Driver Recovery" it will install drivers to C:\Program Files\Samsung\USB Drivers.  If you get a driver install failure, you can try to update driver and use "have disk" and point to this directory.

5. To sideload apps, I believe you will have to install the drivers from the zip floating around called "usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64".

6.  Once you have successfully connected in debug mode, you can sideload apps just by having 2 files in a directory somewhere:  1) adb.exe 2)adbwinapi.dll

7. To sideload, just type:  adb install -r <appname.apk>.  Creating a simple batch and using the Tab key helps.

Okay, that is probably both too much and too little information, but I hope it helps someone.  I know it's a little confusing but my install process has been kind of messy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: On a separate Win 7 32-bit machine, I got Kies to work by not installing any drivers.  I just installed Kies, plugged in my phone and BAM.  I did not try to connect in debug mode.

Okay, I have fought long and hard with Kies on Win7 64.  I have learned a few things.

1. Installing the drivers from Samsung that were not digitally signed was a bad idea.

2. Once you install the phone improperly, you may be able to re-install it by plugging it into a different USB port.  This worked for me.

3. If you are getting the SGH-i897 with a yellow exlamation point in Device Mangler, no problem. 

a)  Shut down Kies. 

b)  Kill the trask tray auto-launcher for Kies.

c)  Connect the phone and select Kies mode.

d) WAIT until it says "connected" on your phone.  Note that there is no yellow exclamation point under "Portable Devices".

e)  Launch Kies.  Enjoy a really poorly-done app.

4. In Kies, if you do "Driver Recovery" it will install drivers to C:\Program Files\Samsung\USB Drivers.  If you get a driver install failure, you can try to update driver and use "have disk" and point to this directory.

5. To sideload apps, I believe you will have to install the drivers from the zip floating around called "usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64".

6.  Once you have successfully connected in debug mode, you can sideload apps just by having 2 files in a directory somewhere:  1) adb.exe 2)adbwinapi.dll

7. To sideload, just type:  adb install -r <appname.apk>.  Creating a simple batch and using the Tab key helps.

Okay, that is probably both too much and too little information, but I hope it helps someone.  I know it's a little confusing but my install process has been kind of messy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: On a separate Win 7 32-bit machine, I got Kies to work by not installing any drivers.  I just installed Kies, plugged in my phone and BAM.  I did not try to connect in debug mode.

[ Edited ]
16 of 20 (9,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2010 8:36:07 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by jungledad9 on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:38:50 PM

After 2 days of searching and aggravation, I got my Captivate to sync with Kies by using an older of the version. I did not find the one that was recommended(1.5.3.10093_82) So I had to do a few other steps.

The version I found was 1.5.3.10093_31 which has driver issues. To overcome this, I first installed 64 bit drivers from the following location:

64bit:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOBILES/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S-USB-Driver-for-Windows-x64.shtml

32bit:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOBILES/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S-USB-Driver-for-Windows-x86.shtml"

You probably will not want to update Kies, once it's done as you would be back with the version that does not 'recognize' the captivate.

After 2 days of searching and aggravation, I got my Captivate to sync with Kies by using an older of the version. I did not find the one that was recommended(1.5.3.10093_82) So I had to do a few other steps.

The version I found was 1.5.3.10093_31 which has driver issues. To overcome this, I first installed 64 bit drivers from the following location:

64bit:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOBILES/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S-USB-Driver-for-Windows-x64.shtml

32bit:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOBILES/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S-USB-Driver-for-Windows-x86.shtml"

You probably will not want to update Kies, once it's done as you would be back with the version that does not 'recognize' the captivate.

Re: Captivate does not sync with Samsung Skies??

[ Edited ]
17 of 20 (6,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 11:53:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Do you have a link for where to download the older version of Kies 1.5.3.10093_31 (or can you send it to me)?

Do you have a link for where to download the older version of Kies 1.5.3.10093_31 (or can you send it to me)?

18 of 20 (6,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 12:03:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

Here is a link to a site that list all versions of Kies with links to download the one you want. Just remember to un-select auto update. I downloaded version 1.5.1.10074_45 It works just fine.

http://www.samfirmware.com/samsungkies.htm

Hope this helps.

Here is a link to a site that list all versions of Kies with links to download the one you want. Just remember to un-select auto update. I downloaded version 1.5.1.10074_45 It works just fine.

http://www.samfirmware.com/samsungkies.htm

Hope this helps.

19 of 20 (6,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 12:15:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

Another option is an app called MyPhoneExplorer...

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/home.php

App is in the Market, PC software from the website...I have not tried this personally yet, but seems promising.

Another option is an app called MyPhoneExplorer...

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/home.php

App is in the Market, PC software from the website...I have not tried this personally yet, but seems promising.

20 of 20 (6,490 Views)