Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 24, 2010
11:50:48 AM
View profile
Captivate Update Removed USB Internet Option

As stated above, the option to use USB Tethering for computer internet has been scrubbed in the latest update.  I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone with a tech who said the phone was never able to do it.  She then promptly told me it was Samsungs fault and to call them.  I did, they don't know why it's gone, heck they thinks it's still there!  Someone is either fibbing or just doesn't know what the heck they are talking about.  So why I pay 20 extra dollars a month to tether is beyond me at this point.  Sorry for the rant guys I am just mad as heckSmiley Mad

As stated above, the option to use USB Tethering for computer internet has been scrubbed in the latest update.  I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone with a tech who said the phone was never able to do it.  She then promptly told me it was Samsungs fault and to call them.  I did, they don't know why it's gone, heck they thinks it's still there!  Someone is either fibbing or just doesn't know what the heck they are talking about.  So why I pay 20 extra dollars a month to tether is beyond me at this point.  Sorry for the rant guys I am just mad as heckSmiley Mad

Captivate Update Removed USB Internet Option

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 11:56:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

same here - mad mad mad. but next post down says not to update ota, wait till released by samsung and download the file. I am hoping to do that and re-install. maybe that one will not take the pc internet option out. hoping

same here - mad mad mad. but next post down says not to update ota, wait till released by samsung and download the file. I am hoping to do that and re-install. maybe that one will not take the pc internet option out. hoping

Re: Captivate Update Removed USB Internet Option

2 of 13 (3,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 6:16:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

The OTA "upgrade of the Capitvate is  true disaster.

It removes the USB Internet option, whicihh was one of the only reasons why I bought the phone at all. And I have an unlimited data plan (at great cost, and when I ordered the Captivate, the AT&T agent confirmed that tethering woud be OK.

Not only that, I not can not read emails from my Ezchange account. They show up in the inbox, but when I tap the email to read it, the email client crashes. All my other accounts are OK - they are POP accounts. This is making the phone noe USELESS as a business tool.

AT&T had better do something to fix this retty quick.

The OTA "upgrade of the Capitvate is  true disaster.

It removes the USB Internet option, whicihh was one of the only reasons why I bought the phone at all. And I have an unlimited data plan (at great cost, and when I ordered the Captivate, the AT&T agent confirmed that tethering woud be OK.

Not only that, I not can not read emails from my Ezchange account. They show up in the inbox, but when I tap the email to read it, the email client crashes. All my other accounts are OK - they are POP accounts. This is making the phone noe USELESS as a business tool.

AT&T had better do something to fix this retty quick.

3 of 13 (3,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 7:45:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

att reps will pretty much never know whats in the updates unless they visist other sites that discuss the changes.

Also tethering with the phone (despite whether you can do it otherwise) requires a tethering plan

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

att reps will pretty much never know whats in the updates unless they visist other sites that discuss the changes.

Also tethering with the phone (despite whether you can do it otherwise) requires a tethering plan

4 of 13 (3,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2010 5:18:47 AM
(0)
Expert

lavitztyr wrote:

Don;t use tethering on a smartphone, easier and more locigal to utilize a cellular modem to do it, better bandwidth and I can still use my phone when I am on the computer, but

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/communication-manager/index.jsp

this is required for most of the phone's to be tethered. This might be the method they are forcing on the phone now for bteer control of unauthorized tethering

lavitztyr wrote:

Don;t use tethering on a smartphone, easier and more locigal to utilize a cellular modem to do it, better bandwidth and I can still use my phone when I am on the computer, but

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/communication-manager/index.jsp

this is required for most of the phone's to be tethered. This might be the method they are forcing on the phone now for bteer control of unauthorized tethering

5 of 13 (3,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2010 8:15:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

Tethering on a smart phone deivers exactly the same bandwidth as a USB key. The speed limit is 3G, not the USB (or Bluetooth) and not the phone's operating system, or the computer.

I have an HTC Desire and a USB 3G MOdem for my French phone. Tethering and the key are exactly the same speed (I have tested it).

No special software on the computer is required for tethering - plug it in and the Windows network software detects it as a modem.

It is still possible to tether the AT&T Captivate using the Samsung KIES software (get the update, it is an iprovement).

IMHO the SOLE reason that AT&T requires a tethering pan is to extract more money from its customers. It doesn't make engineering, logical, or marketing sense to prevent tethering for a customer that is already paying for an unlimited data plan. In my dictionary, "unlimited" has a pretty simple meaning.

I also suspect (and freely admit that this is a conspiracy theory) that there is something to do with the contract with Apple - since thethering has aways been impossible with the iPhone on AT&T even tough it is perfectly possible technically and the app exists to tether an iPhone - outside the US.

Tethering on a smart phone deivers exactly the same bandwidth as a USB key. The speed limit is 3G, not the USB (or Bluetooth) and not the phone's operating system, or the computer.

I have an HTC Desire and a USB 3G MOdem for my French phone. Tethering and the key are exactly the same speed (I have tested it).

No special software on the computer is required for tethering - plug it in and the Windows network software detects it as a modem.

It is still possible to tether the AT&T Captivate using the Samsung KIES software (get the update, it is an iprovement).

IMHO the SOLE reason that AT&T requires a tethering pan is to extract more money from its customers. It doesn't make engineering, logical, or marketing sense to prevent tethering for a customer that is already paying for an unlimited data plan. In my dictionary, "unlimited" has a pretty simple meaning.

I also suspect (and freely admit that this is a conspiracy theory) that there is something to do with the contract with Apple - since thethering has aways been impossible with the iPhone on AT&T even tough it is perfectly possible technically and the app exists to tether an iPhone - outside the US.

6 of 13 (3,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2010 8:47:19 AM
(0)
Expert

pacrosby wrote:

sorry deal with it - ATT is not the only one to charge additoinal for the tetheirng option - this has been true since the first RIM phone was available for the service. You are right is is a conspiracy theory of your own devising, I really doubt that it has something to do with their contract with Apple - if that was even remotely a possiblity - tethering would not be available now with OS4.

Or are you claiming that they(apple) required the removal of tethering becasue of their contract with apple - if so that is ludicrous, since tethering is available for other phones. You are perfectly capable to tether the iphone inside the US also, you are just required to have OS4 and the tethering option applied to your 2GB data plan, so tha part of conspiracy theory does not hold water either.

Bottom line - ATT's network, their rules, their restrictions, their pricing.

pacrosby wrote:

sorry deal with it - ATT is not the only one to charge additoinal for the tetheirng option - this has been true since the first RIM phone was available for the service. You are right is is a conspiracy theory of your own devising, I really doubt that it has something to do with their contract with Apple - if that was even remotely a possiblity - tethering would not be available now with OS4.

Or are you claiming that they(apple) required the removal of tethering becasue of their contract with apple - if so that is ludicrous, since tethering is available for other phones. You are perfectly capable to tether the iphone inside the US also, you are just required to have OS4 and the tethering option applied to your 2GB data plan, so tha part of conspiracy theory does not hold water either.

7 of 13 (3,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 6:11:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

wingrider01 wrote:

pacrosby wrote:

att blows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wingrider01 wrote:

pacrosby wrote:

att blows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 of 13 (3,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 7:28:43 AM
(0)
Master

If everyone is allowed to tethering for free with PC, it will crush AT&T network. Hence the requirement for additional tethering plan. Every carrier do this anyway.

The phone, even when tethering enabled, does not operate the same as USB sticks. For one, it has much higher PINGs (in 200 to 400 ms range) because the packets have low priority compared to packets from USB sticks and even iPhone. Secondly, Captivate (and other WM phones I owned) has HSUPA disabled either at firmware level or network level. On iPhones, you can easily get upload speeds > 1mbps while Captivate is capped < 300kbps on the same exact location. Some ppl at XDA experimented by loading non-US modem files to Captivate and sucessfully get 1mbps+ upload speed.

The USB tethering option is an accidental mistake in JF6 firmware. There is no doubt in my mind that AT&T will try to remove it as soon as possible.

If everyone is allowed to tethering for free with PC, it will crush AT&T network. Hence the requirement for additional tethering plan. Every carrier do this anyway.

The phone, even when tethering enabled, does not operate the same as USB sticks. For one, it has much higher PINGs (in 200 to 400 ms range) because the packets have low priority compared to packets from USB sticks and even iPhone. Secondly, Captivate (and other WM phones I owned) has HSUPA disabled either at firmware level or network level. On iPhones, you can easily get upload speeds > 1mbps while Captivate is capped < 300kbps on the same exact location. Some ppl at XDA experimented by loading non-US modem files to Captivate and sucessfully get 1mbps+ upload speed.

The USB tethering option is an accidental mistake in JF6 firmware. There is no doubt in my mind that AT&T will try to remove it as soon as possible.

9 of 13 (3,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 4:17:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Tethering with Kies still working after the recent update here!

10 of 13 (2,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 5:20:19 PM
(0)
Master

stlcaptivate wrote:

Now you mentioned it. I'm pretty sure it will no longer work in next firmware update Smiley Happy

stlcaptivate wrote:

Now you mentioned it. I'm pretty sure it will no longer work in next firmware update Smiley Happy

11 of 13 (1,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 9:10:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

The .pdf file "SGH-i897ATT-Captivate_English_User_Manual.pdf" provided by Samsung for the Samsung Captivate states on page 134:

You can connect your device to a PC using an optional PC data

cable using various USB connection modes. When you connect

the device to a PC, you can synchronize files with Windows

Media Player, transfer data to and from your device directly, or

use the Samsung Kies program and use you device as a wireless

modem for a PC.

Since Samsung is responsible for the text above, I would estimate they will leave this "wireless modem" functionality on the phone via Samsung Kies.

Lawyers would have a field day if they don't and I suspect AT&T subscribers like myself would find alternative wireless providers if they continue removing functionality of their branded products.  It stinks that we now have to carry USB stick with Kies program on it so we can use the "wireless modem" on any PC we use.  Perhaps Froyo will put our Captivates back together again.

The .pdf file "SGH-i897ATT-Captivate_English_User_Manual.pdf" provided by Samsung for the Samsung Captivate states on page 134:

modem for a PC.

Since Samsung is responsible for the text above, I would estimate they will leave this "wireless modem" functionality on the phone via Samsung Kies.

Lawyers would have a field day if they don't and I suspect AT&T subscribers like myself would find alternative wireless providers if they continue removing functionality of their branded products.  It stinks that we now have to carry USB stick with Kies program on it so we can use the "wireless modem" on any PC we use.  Perhaps Froyo will put our Captivates back together again.

12 of 13 (1,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 3:30:15 AM
(0)
Expert

whitehaired wrote:

modem for a PC.

Also "stinks" that to legally use tethering within the terms of service for your wireless device you are required to pay an additional 20.00 a month, you are right lawyers will have a field day if you are tethering contrary to the agreement you have with ATT

whitehaired wrote:

modem for a PC.

Also "stinks" that to legally use tethering within the terms of service for your wireless device you are required to pay an additional 20.00 a month, you are right lawyers will have a field day if you are tethering contrary to the agreement you have with ATT

13 of 13 (1,477 Views)