Captivate - Email sluggishness / losing account settings?

Tutor

Captivate - Email sluggishness / losing account settings?

Hi - after configuring my captivate with about three POP 3 mail accounts, a GMAIL account,  and one Exchange server accounts,  the phone came to a grinding halt (even after the messages were downloaded).  Each mailbox was configured to have between 25 - 50 messages of no more than 50kb apiece. 

After experiencing a particularly bad delay - i.e. phone frozen for five minutes - the home page appeared and all of my email accounts / settings were gone.  I rebooted the phone and had to re-enter my accounts. 

I've seen this same behavior after re-configuring just two accounts and trying to enter the trash section of one of the email accounts. 

Is anyone else experiencing this type of behavior?   And any thoughts as to whether a froyo upgrade will fix this or should i be returning this to ATT before the 30 day window?

Message 1 of 13 (2,954 Views)
Tutor

Re: Captivate - Email sluggishness / losing account settings?

Why not have as many of your accounts as possible forward to your Gmail account, so the phone only has to check one place?

Message 2 of 13 (2,928 Views)
Teacher

How were you able to set download size limit, etc.?   I can't find it anywhere in the settings.  I can only find frequency of download.

Message 3 of 13 (2,915 Views)
Tutor

re: message size - when you set up the account for the first time, there is an option relating to file size limit. 

On Exchange server accounts, you can set this under the "advanced settings" section of the account settings. 

Message 4 of 13 (2,908 Views)

It has happened to me also.... VERY Frustrating!!!! Obviously its not ready for prime time.... You should NOT have to limit your download size...

Message 5 of 13 (2,827 Views)
Tutor

It appears that android's email system for POP3 and IMAP accounts is the problem.  See the following articles that reference a lack of updating accounts and (worse) deleting the accounts altogether:

http://www.androidtapp.com/how-do-you-keep-g1-from-deleting-email-accounts/

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/57917-email-issues-pop3-vs-imap-date-issues-plus-more.html

Will try the K9 software they mention in the article to see how it works.

Message 6 of 13 (2,778 Views)

I have already corresponded with samsung aobut the faulty gps (they say athey acknowledge the issue fr us customers and a fix is being worked on), but I now have another problem with my Captivate: I have my email setup as Exchange Mail, which works fine when it works, but about every 2-5 days it mysteriously loses all my exchange setttings and takes me back to initial setup to reinstall exchange. Once when it did that it vibrated alot first.  I have seen a couple of postings on this issue, so i know that II am not alone. Any fixes I should try? Maybe an external email client that is more stable than Samsung's?  I am about to return this phone before my 30 days runs out -- its a pity, i love the phone,but it is inconceivable they can release it with so many things wrong with it.

Anyone, any ideas?

Message 7 of 13 (2,568 Views)
Tutor

the best solution that I have found is to ditch the stock email app and install the K-9 mail app (read about it here: http://www.androidtapp.com/k9-mail/)  I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.

Message 8 of 13 (2,561 Views)
Contributor

Same here. The settings are gone every week or so. That's so frustrating. I'm thinking of returning it.

Message 9 of 13 (2,407 Views)
Scholar

what are your outgoing settings?  I can't get the outgoing server to work.

Message 10 of 13 (1,893 Views)
Contributor

I must agree, K9 is head and shoulders better than OEM email client. 

Message 11 of 13 (751 Views)
Contributor

What are the steps to setup the K9 mail app.  I just recently purchased the Captivate and I'm happy with it, except for the email problems with yahoo. 

Message 12 of 13 (703 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

go to the android market (on your phone), search for the K9 app, and then follow setup instructions (see my prior posts in this message chain for a link to the instructions).

Message 13 of 13 (698 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.