Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 22, 2010
6:45:49 AM
Captivate Data Use

Looking around the web for tips on using the Captivate, I came across a post on adroid forums about the amount of data someone's Captivate had sucked up over night.  Upon looking at my own account, I realized that in 2 days I had used as much data as I used to use on my 3GS over a whole month.  I recalled that I'd notice the 3G notification showing signs of use when I first unlocked the screen, and that the wi-fi symbol was off at that point to for a few moments, and realized that wi-fi was being disconnected when my phone wasn't in use and therefore my background notifications and applications were sucking data off of cellular data.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Looking around the web for tips on using the Captivate, I came across a post on adroid forums about the amount of data someone's Captivate had sucked up over night.  Upon looking at my own account, I realized that in 2 days I had used as much data as I used to use on my 3GS over a whole month.  I recalled that I'd notice the 3G notification showing signs of use when I first unlocked the screen, and that the wi-fi symbol was off at that point to for a few moments, and realized that wi-fi was being disconnected when my phone wasn't in use and therefore my background notifications and applications were sucking data off of cellular data.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Captivate Data Use

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 7:08:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

I too have notice unusal data usage. I'm new to having data and opted for the smaller pkg (200mb a month) and I'm trying to keep a close eye on my usage but in three days I've used 24mb already and I do most of my downloading while connected on WiFi at home. Does the device use any of the data plan when you're connected to WiFi?

I too have notice unusal data usage. I'm new to having data and opted for the smaller pkg (200mb a month) and I'm trying to keep a close eye on my usage but in three days I've used 24mb already and I do most of my downloading while connected on WiFi at home. Does the device use any of the data plan when you're connected to WiFi?

Re: Captivate Data Use

2 of 27 (8,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 7:44:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

i was told that when you are connected to Wifi, the data usage does not get effected.

i was told that when you are connected to Wifi, the data usage does not get effected.

3 of 27 (8,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 7:59:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

yeah I noticed this as well...used about 7mb in 1 day, which is not possible since I was at home the entire time I used my phone and was on wifi the whole time. Also why does at&t package bloatware that you cannot use with wifi and only 3G and also try capping data plans at the same time? greedy idts~!

yeah I noticed this as well...used about 7mb in 1 day, which is not possible since I was at home the entire time I used my phone and was on wifi the whole time. Also why does at&t package bloatware that you cannot use with wifi and only 3G and also try capping data plans at the same time? greedy idts~!

4 of 27 (8,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 8:00:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

There is a setting where you force wi-fi to be on as long as the phone is plugged in. Enabling that might help with the programs that update at odd hours.

There is a setting where you force wi-fi to be on as long as the phone is plugged in. Enabling that might help with the programs that update at odd hours.

5 of 27 (8,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 8:14:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you TLN_Nick.  I checked that suggestion and found a new menu I hadn't seen before to allow wi-fi to never disengage (also has options for proxy, etc).  I went into settings -> wireless and network -> wi-fi settings -> tapped the menu button and selected advanced which has an option for wi-fi sleep policy that had been defaulted to sleep "when screen turns off".  Changed it to "never" (it also has the "never when plugged in option"), and hopefully this will eliminate this issue. 

I won't speculate as to why the default is "when screen turns off".  I also haven't found option to turn off cellular data, I read that option is coming in 2.2, but found a couple apps that help to accomplish that.  I used APNdroid overnight and it seemed to work, though the 3G icon took a while to come back to the notification bar (not sure how long it took to reestablish a 3G connection), and one called quick setting, which has volume, brightness (this screen is BRIGHT!), and toggles various radios on the phone.

Thank you TLN_Nick.  I checked that suggestion and found a new menu I hadn't seen before to allow wi-fi to never disengage (also has options for proxy, etc).  I went into settings -> wireless and network -> wi-fi settings -> tapped the menu button and selected advanced which has an option for wi-fi sleep policy that had been defaulted to sleep "when screen turns off".  Changed it to "never" (it also has the "never when plugged in option"), and hopefully this will eliminate this issue. 

I won't speculate as to why the default is "when screen turns off".  I also haven't found option to turn off cellular data, I read that option is coming in 2.2, but found a couple apps that help to accomplish that.  I used APNdroid overnight and it seemed to work, though the 3G icon took a while to come back to the notification bar (not sure how long it took to reestablish a 3G connection), and one called quick setting, which has volume, brightness (this screen is BRIGHT!), and toggles various radios on the phone.

6 of 27 (8,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 3:20:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

thanks for the tip on the wifi settings.

it makes sense to keep the wifi connected when you're around a wifi network, otherwise unless you were constantly using the phone your email would be coming in over 3g.

thanks for the tip on the wifi settings.

it makes sense to keep the wifi connected when you're around a wifi network, otherwise unless you were constantly using the phone your email would be coming in over 3g.

7 of 27 (8,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 6:14:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah, thanks for the tip.

New to Android - came from WinMo 6.5.

Loving this OS and this phone.

Yeah, thanks for the tip.

New to Android - came from WinMo 6.5.

Loving this OS and this phone.

8 of 27 (8,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 6:19:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by mikenri on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:20:37 PM

speaking of data usage, anyone got an app that tracks data usage that's accurate?

I tried something called netcounter and it's saying i used 18MB of cellular data today but when i dial *data# it says i only used 1.8MB

it tracks wifi seperately.

unless the *data# isn't up to the minute and it only updates daily.

speaking of data usage, anyone got an app that tracks data usage that's accurate?

I tried something called netcounter and it's saying i used 18MB of cellular data today but when i dial *data# it says i only used 1.8MB

it tracks wifi seperately.

unless the *data# isn't up to the minute and it only updates daily.

[ Edited ]
9 of 27 (8,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 7:11:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

I checked my data usage from ATT and it has not been updated with yesterday's usage; not sure when they update it.

I downloaded and am trying 3G Watchdog.  I want to check if ATT's usage is accurate because they claim I transferred a lot more data that I thought I did.  I just installed it last night so I have to get a few days worth to see how it compares with what ATT is saying.

I checked my data usage from ATT and it has not been updated with yesterday's usage; not sure when they update it.

I downloaded and am trying 3G Watchdog.  I want to check if ATT's usage is accurate because they claim I transferred a lot more data that I thought I did.  I just installed it last night so I have to get a few days worth to see how it compares with what ATT is saying.

10 of 27 (8,687 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 9:05:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

3G Watchdog tracks all data including incoming/outgoing MMS, which dont count against your data plan

3G Watchdog tracks all data including incoming/outgoing MMS, which dont count against your data plan

11 of 27 (5,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 7:48:03 AM
(0)
Mentor

I downloaded a free app from the market - Network Monitor version 1.7.4.

It shows me how much data is transfered by WiFi and 3G. You hit a button that switches views between 3G and WiFi. You can also set an alarm so that when your data usage hits a certain amount, the app alerts you. I set an alarm under 3G to warn me at 185mb. I haven't had the alert go off as of yet - I just installed the app this past week. But it seems to work pretty well at showing how much data has gone back and forth.

I downloaded a free app from the market - Network Monitor version 1.7.4.

It shows me how much data is transfered by WiFi and 3G. You hit a button that switches views between 3G and WiFi. You can also set an alarm so that when your data usage hits a certain amount, the app alerts you. I set an alarm under 3G to warn me at 185mb. I haven't had the alert go off as of yet - I just installed the app this past week. But it seems to work pretty well at showing how much data has gone back and forth.

12 of 27 (5,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 6:04:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for starting this thread.  I was having the same problem with 3G sucking up data when phone was asleep.  Another similar problem I am still having is that I am also seeing BOTH icons for wifi and 3G, which technically, should only show one of these at a time.  I can't figure out what's causing it yet.  I used speedtest app to confirm that I was using wifi and not 3G, but it is still annoying wondering if I am sometimes using 3G data without knowing.

Anyone else seeing both icons on the top of the screen as well?

-------------------------

Captivate - Android 2.1!

iPhone 3GS (RIP)

Thanks for starting this thread.  I was having the same problem with 3G sucking up data when phone was asleep.  Another similar problem I am still having is that I am also seeing BOTH icons for wifi and 3G, which technically, should only show one of these at a time.  I can't figure out what's causing it yet.  I used speedtest app to confirm that I was using wifi and not 3G, but it is still annoying wondering if I am sometimes using 3G data without knowing.

Anyone else seeing both icons on the top of the screen as well?

-------------------------

Captivate - Android 2.1!

iPhone 3GS (RIP)

13 of 27 (5,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:47:52 AM
(0)
Master

Normally, if you turn on wifi, 3G will be off. But if you have some app actively using the 3G connection at that time, the phone will not turn 3G off automatically. So, you will have to find out which app is using the 3G connection at the time and shut it down.

Normally, if you turn on wifi, 3G will be off. But if you have some app actively using the 3G connection at that time, the phone will not turn 3G off automatically. So, you will have to find out which app is using the 3G connection at the time and shut it down.

14 of 27 (5,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 7:50:21 AM
(0)
Explorer

If you want to stop your phone from eating up bandwidth when its sitting there idle then go under Accounts and sync and uncheck Background data, of course this is a small amount that its using, but its nice to know your data plan isn't active when your not actually using the phone, I would imagine most people need this on but it is nice to know you can shut it off. Also, as a side effect to this, when you go into the Android market you will be asked to turn Background data back on, seems you can't browse without it... But you can go back and turn it off after.

If you want to stop your phone from eating up bandwidth when its sitting there idle then go under Accounts and sync and uncheck Background data, of course this is a small amount that its using, but its nice to know your data plan isn't active when your not actually using the phone, I would imagine most people need this on but it is nice to know you can shut it off. Also, as a side effect to this, when you go into the Android market you will be asked to turn Background data back on, seems you can't browse without it... But you can go back and turn it off after.

15 of 27 (5,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 10:35:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same issue here. Got my Captivate 3 weeks ago and it is showing random un-explainable data usage. Every other days it shows data usage in range of 12-15MB on 3G. The phone is on wi-fi network most of the time. Looking at data usage details, all phantom activities are listed as 'Sent' to 'wap.Cingular'. There is not much usage on 'Receiving' area. Called customer care center and they can't explain the data behavior either. The usage is so random that hard to figure out if some scheduled cycle in OS feeding the data (but it always has transaction around 2AM every day)

Did install 3G watchdog but not expecting it to show me any application level usage details to say what is using all the data. At least would be able to get validation on data usage vs. data report.

Same issue here. Got my Captivate 3 weeks ago and it is showing random un-explainable data usage. Every other days it shows data usage in range of 12-15MB on 3G. The phone is on wi-fi network most of the time. Looking at data usage details, all phantom activities are listed as 'Sent' to 'wap.Cingular'. There is not much usage on 'Receiving' area. Called customer care center and they can't explain the data behavior either. The usage is so random that hard to figure out if some scheduled cycle in OS feeding the data (but it always has transaction around 2AM every day)

Did install 3G watchdog but not expecting it to show me any application level usage details to say what is using all the data. At least would be able to get validation on data usage vs. data report.

16 of 27 (4,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 11:23:15 AM
(0)
Master

I never saw any received data usage on any of my bill. So, sent vs received doesn't mean much. We also know AT&T aggregates all data usages together for a period and show up on your account at certain time of day. That doesn't mean you actually use that much data at that time. It just means how much data you have used (both sent and received) between the current report time and last report time.

I never saw any received data usage on any of my bill. So, sent vs received doesn't mean much. We also know AT&T aggregates all data usages together for a period and show up on your account at certain time of day. That doesn't mean you actually use that much data at that time. It just means how much data you have used (both sent and received) between the current report time and last report time.

17 of 27 (4,059 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 1:59:58 PM
(0)
Master

There's an app in the Market called Auto Wifi Toggle.

It's great. It enables your Wifi as soon as you are in range of a wifi you've connected to before. Then it automatically disables Wifi when you are out of range.

You never have to remember to turn Wifi on or off. It does it all by itself.

It's great. It enables your Wifi as soon as you are in range of a wifi you've connected to before. Then it automatically disables Wifi when you are out of range.

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

18 of 27 (4,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 6:30:44 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 12, 2010 at 6:31:44 PM

Zandora wrote:

If I leave my wi-fi on (make sure your sleep policy is to never  turn off), it already does that for me. Not sure why you need that app for.

And on Froyo 2.2, you now have an option to disable cell data connection and use wi-fi exclusively.

Zandora wrote:

If I leave my wi-fi on (make sure your sleep policy is to never  turn off), it already does that for me. Not sure why you need that app for.

And on Froyo 2.2, you now have an option to disable cell data connection and use wi-fi exclusively.

[ Edited ]
19 of 27 (4,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 6:15:56 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:19:20 AM

Thanks, foxbat.

I actually did find out about the Wifi never sleeping by accident just before you posted this.

So after your email, I uninstalled it, but then other apps that I had dependent on wifi, didn't work when Juice Defender disabled on it's schedule.

I did a little more research into Auto Wifi Toggle...What it does it that it disables the Wifi radio automatically when you are out of range in addition to enabling when in range, which may save some juice? Do you know if disabling the wifi radio when no wifi is in range saves on battery use or not?

Regardless of that though, I have Juice Defender running, and it automatically disables the Wifi radio on a schedule, which I actually didn't like at night, as that conflicted with a Settings Profile that I have set to sleep (vibration only, no screen lock and a few other features) -- I like not having to input my screenlock pattern when I wake up in the middle of the night to check if I got any emails from work (I work with folks from Germany).

So, long story short is that the Auto Wifi Toggle, toggles the Wifi data back on (after JD turns off)...so that my "sleep" profile's screen unlock stays active. Maybe overcomplicating things a bit...but I like not having to continually change my profiles manually between work, home, and car, etc., specifically for the screen unlock security.

foxbat121 wrote:

Zandora wrote:

Thanks, foxbat.

I actually did find out about the Wifi never sleeping by accident just before you posted this.

So after your email, I uninstalled it, but then other apps that I had dependent on wifi, didn't work when Juice Defender disabled on it's schedule.

I did a little more research into Auto Wifi Toggle...What it does it that it disables the Wifi radio automatically when you are out of range in addition to enabling when in range, which may save some juice? Do you know if disabling the wifi radio when no wifi is in range saves on battery use or not?

Regardless of that though, I have Juice Defender running, and it automatically disables the Wifi radio on a schedule, which I actually didn't like at night, as that conflicted with a Settings Profile that I have set to sleep (vibration only, no screen lock and a few other features) -- I like not having to input my screenlock pattern when I wake up in the middle of the night to check if I got any emails from work (I work with folks from Germany).

So, long story short is that the Auto Wifi Toggle, toggles the Wifi data back on (after JD turns off)...so that my "sleep" profile's screen unlock stays active. Maybe overcomplicating things a bit...but I like not having to continually change my profiles manually between work, home, and car, etc., specifically for the screen unlock security.

foxbat121 wrote:

Zandora wrote:

[ Edited ]
20 of 27 (3,975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 8:06:33 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 13, 2010 at 8:07:16 AM

It is widely believed, but I have not seen any concrete data to back it up, that the modern wifi chip uses less battery when you leave it on all the time than you constantly toggle it on or off. That's why most ppl recommend to change wifi sleep policy to NEVER.

It is widely believed, but I have not seen any concrete data to back it up, that the modern wifi chip uses less battery when you leave it on all the time than you constantly toggle it on or off. That's why most ppl recommend to change wifi sleep policy to NEVER.

[ Edited ]
21 of 27 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 8:46:13 AM
(0)
Master

foxbat121 wrote:

Thanks.

I guess I'll do a simple experiment this weekend Smiley Happy

foxbat121 wrote:

Thanks.

I guess I'll do a simple experiment this weekend Smiley Happy

22 of 27 (2,771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 2:44:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks MeVirtually this seems to work fine. I have been having trouble for weeks now and AT&T was useless for help. I went from an iPhone to the captivate and immediately went from 20-23 Mb of data a month to 20-30 Mb of data a day??????

Thanks MeVirtually this seems to work fine. I have been having trouble for weeks now and AT&T was useless for help. I went from an iPhone to the captivate and immediately went from 20-23 Mb of data a month to 20-30 Mb of data a day??????

23 of 27 (2,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2010 1:46:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have exactly the same "problem" with my new Captivate!  My WiFi works well but occasionally I see the phone using 3G for whatever reason after being left alone.  My wife's iPhone 4 doesn't have this data usage problem and both phones are in the same general area.  The local ATT office/outlet doesn't have a clue.  I've already "used" 22% of my 200 MB limit in 5 days.  Not acceptable.

Since I'm within my 30-day trial period, I'm ditching the Captivate and getting an iP4.

I have exactly the same "problem" with my new Captivate!  My WiFi works well but occasionally I see the phone using 3G for whatever reason after being left alone.  My wife's iPhone 4 doesn't have this data usage problem and both phones are in the same general area.  The local ATT office/outlet doesn't have a clue.  I've already "used" 22% of my 200 MB limit in 5 days.  Not acceptable.

Since I'm within my 30-day trial period, I'm ditching the Captivate and getting an iP4.

24 of 27 (2,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2010 8:54:10 PM
(0)
Guru

EWynett wrote:

My WiFi works well but occasionally I see the phone using 3G for whatever reason after being left alone. 

Go to Settings -> Wireless and network -> Wi-Fi settings, press Menu, and choose Advanced.  Check out the "Wi-Fi sleep policy" option.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

EWynett wrote:

My WiFi works well but occasionally I see the phone using 3G for whatever reason after being left alone. 

Go to Settings -> Wireless and network -> Wi-Fi settings, press Menu, and choose Advanced.  Check out the "Wi-Fi sleep policy" option.

25 of 27 (2,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2010 8:18:24 AM
(0)
Master
You can also check the app "Quick Settings" available in the Market. It has an option to disable the mobile network so even if the wifi sleeps the 3g will not connect.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
You can also check the app "Quick Settings" available in the Market. It has an option to disable the mobile network so even if the wifi sleeps the 3g will not connect.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

26 of 27 (2,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2010 9:47:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks erichamion!  Did that, and saw much-decreased data usage against my account.  Next I'm planning to uncheck the "background" and "synch" functions for my Facebook, Hotmail, Gmail, and other apps.  I suppose I can always get the "latest" by simply starting the app, or the mailbox.....  In doing this, I can avoid auto 3-G updates and usage when I'm on the road without WiFi.  Sound OK to you?

Thanks.

Thanks erichamion!  Did that, and saw much-decreased data usage against my account.  Next I'm planning to uncheck the "background" and "synch" functions for my Facebook, Hotmail, Gmail, and other apps.  I suppose I can always get the "latest" by simply starting the app, or the mailbox.....  In doing this, I can avoid auto 3-G updates and usage when I'm on the road without WiFi.  Sound OK to you?

Thanks.

27 of 27 (2,245 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments