Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 18, 2010
6:59:04 PM
Captivate: Assign a ringtone to a contact?

Has anyone figured out how to do it? Ive been jacking around with it for a few days, and cant find the option.

Has anyone figured out how to do it? Ive been jacking around with it for a few days, and cant find the option.

Captivate: Assign a ringtone to a contact?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 7:09:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

if the contact is stored on the phone then you should be able to give it a ring tone.  if you are reading contacts off your sim card then i think you are going to run into problems.

if the contact is stored on the phone then you should be able to give it a ring tone.  if you are reading contacts off your sim card then i think you are going to run into problems.

Re: Captivate: Assign a ringtone to a contact?

2 of 8 (5,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 7:17:54 PM
(0)
Guru

They're on the phone. Just not finding the option.

They're on the phone. Just not finding the option.

3 of 8 (5,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 11:07:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

This process works for me...

From home screen > swipe left.   Tap "Contacts" app.   Tap and hold on contact name, wait for menu.  Tap on "Edit".  Scroll down to "Ringtone".  Tap, and select from "Default ringtone" "Sound" or "Phone ringtone" depending on your preference.  Phone ringtone is the preloaded stuff, and "Sound" lets you pick from anything on the internal memory or SD card.

is that what you were looking for?

This process works for me...

From home screen > swipe left.   Tap "Contacts" app.   Tap and hold on contact name, wait for menu.  Tap on "Edit".  Scroll down to "Ringtone".  Tap, and select from "Default ringtone" "Sound" or "Phone ringtone" depending on your preference.  Phone ringtone is the preloaded stuff, and "Sound" lets you pick from anything on the internal memory or SD card.

is that what you were looking for?

4 of 8 (5,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 5:23:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

It looks like the Captivate's Contact/Dialer app will not allow assigning ringtones to contacts synced from a Google account.

@davidusr, try creating a new contact and when it prompts for which type of contact, select 'Phone'. On the next screen where you enter the info, you'll see an option for ringtone that is not present if you create a Google account contact.

I know this is different than the stock Android Dialer and kind of a bummer. At this point I think installing a different dialer is the only option.

It looks like the Captivate's Contact/Dialer app will not allow assigning ringtones to contacts synced from a Google account.

@davidusr, try creating a new contact and when it prompts for which type of contact, select 'Phone'. On the next screen where you enter the info, you'll see an option for ringtone that is not present if you create a Google account contact.

I know this is different than the stock Android Dialer and kind of a bummer. At this point I think installing a different dialer is the only option.

5 of 8 (4,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 5:27:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

Actually, just stumbled upon a solution for you: the RingDroid app from the market will allow you to assign a ringtone to a Google Contact.

Actually, just stumbled upon a solution for you: the RingDroid app from the market will allow you to assign a ringtone to a Google Contact.

6 of 8 (4,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 10:48:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

How do I use the RingDroid app to add ringtones to my contacts that were synced to my phone from Google?

MultiMike wrote:

How do I use the RingDroid app to add ringtones to my contacts that were synced to my phone from Google?

MultiMike wrote:

7 of 8 (2,806 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 11:48:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

Downloaded RingDroid - but can't find how to assign a tone to a contact -

Please provide dummy instruction?

Downloaded RingDroid - but can't find how to assign a tone to a contact -

Please provide dummy instruction?

8 of 8 (2,103 Views)