Captivate Address Book Problem

Teacher

Captivate Address Book Problem

I have an annoyance with the address book .  I have my google contacts and my facebook ones synced. What I want to do is add some google ones to a Family group. This is the only way to assign a contact a specific ringtone.  I discovered the ONLY way to get contacts from "Google" to "phone" was to export them from gmail's website then import them into the ONLINE ATT address book.  I got  that done and was able to add the google contacts and separate them as I wanted.  Now HERE is the problem.  I can't assign them pictures.  In the "phone" address book they show up as the blue silhouette and I can't change them unless I want to take a picture or choose one from the gallery.  The contact list just isn't flexible enough and I'm almost ready to take this phone back and get an iPhone.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 8 (1,613 Views)
Mentor

Re: Captivate Address Book Problem

The only other source for contact pictures that I'm aware of is Facebook.  If you go into Account settings and sync Facebook contacts, it should bring those in, link them to the contacts stored on your phone and use their profile pic.  I don't sync Facebook contacts myself, so I can't say that works for sure, but it's how it's supposed to work, I believe.  There might be options in the Facebook app itself as well for that.

The other thing you can try is an app from the Market called SyncMyPix.  It also imports Facebook profile pics to assign to your contacts.  appbrain link

Message 2 of 8 (1,603 Views)
Teacher

Contacts pictures are synced, and when I look at the contacts in the big contact list, the contacts have photos it is when I go to group view and look at my "Family" group for example, they don't have pictures.

Message 3 of 8 (1,592 Views)
Mentor

Ah, that's a little more clear.  So because the groups are a feature of the phone contacts, it seems you only see the phone contact and not the other contacts linked to that one when in group view.  The picture is on the linked contact, not the phone contact.  Yeah, I can imagine that's annoying.

Again, I'll point you to a couple of apps in the market that probably do a better job than the stock contacts app.  Check out "Groupy / contact by group" by kigate and "Contacts GroupU" by MTM HZSTUDIO.  I've not used either, but both give you a better interface to working with group contacts and it hooks into the phone contacts so you can use group ringtones, etc.

Message 4 of 8 (1,557 Views)
Teacher

So it isn't a bug it's a FEATURE Smiley Very Happy

I've looked at several contact managers, and I think my best bet is waiting until someone cooks up a ROM that uses vanilla Android contacts and dialer, or wait and see if it gets fixed in Froyo.  It would me much easier if I could just copy a contact from google or facebook right into the "Phone" contact list. 

Message 5 of 8 (1,543 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Contacts Group U did the trick Smiley Happy   It made the changes STICK in the Phone's groups.  THANK YOU! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8 (1,540 Views)
Mentor

Glad to hear it worked!  

Message 7 of 8 (1,523 Views)
Former Moderator

Thank you for taking the time to post your inquiry. I'm glad to see that you were able to get this taken care of. Thanks champoux for your assistance. Please feel free to open a new thread should you need further assistance. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 8 of 8 (1,495 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support