Cannot send or receive text messages on 4S...

Tutor

Cannot send or receive text messages on 4S...

Hello, I am a new iPhone customer. Received my 4S on Friday after pre-ordering from ATT on the 7th. Had no problems activating and can send and receive calls just fine. I cannot, however, send text messages or receive any from anyone other than ATT. It shows that I send them, but the people never receive them. Likewise, people have told me they sent me texts that I never received. I have only gotten the free messages from ATT.

ATT chat yesterday told me this was a known problem, however, I haven't been able to find other cases posted in this forum or elsewhere online so I was curious if it is just me or if others who recently activated their phones are having the same issue. Hoping for a solution soon!

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 20 (17,551 Views)
Contributor

Re: Cannot send or receive text messages on 4S...

I had the same issue with my text messaging plan being dropped.  I ordered my iPhone 4S through AT&T (and I waited two weeks for it while my friends that didn't pre-order just walked into Apple stores to buy theirs - but that's another story) and activated it online.  Everything about my plan should have stayed the same, but for some reason my text messaging plan vanished.   A very nice customer support rep added it back in, but I still went a whole day unable to send texts and had to waste time on the phone because of AT&T's mistake.  As usual, the problem was AT&T and not Apple.  So before anyone else with this issue blames iOS, just log into you account online and make sure there is still a text messaging plan associated with your line.

Message 16 of 20 (16,259 Views)
Contributor

I checked my account and sure enough, I didn't have a message choice selected.  I selected my choice, waited about 45 minutes, and was able to begin texting again.

Message 17 of 20 (15,468 Views)
Contributor

People aren't receiving text messages because they don't have a text plan?  If you don't have a text plan shouldn't you be defaulted into the Pay Per Use Messaging Plan and still send/receive texts but be charged per text?

I just got rid of my unlimited texting plan because it's ridiculous to pay $20 a month for the 5 texts I send a month.  But now that I'm on the Pay Per Use Messaging Plan I can no longer send or receive text messages.  If this is because I "got rid of my text plan" I am going to be very unhappy.  What else is the Pay Per Use plan for?

If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

Message 18 of 20 (15,414 Views)
ACE - Expert

The only way you aren't getting text messages, is if you have them blocked. I have never had a text messaging plan and get texts all the time.
Contact Customer Service and see if somehow your texts are blocked.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 20 (15,411 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

try this it worked for me : go to the dialer and type in this number : *5005*7672*+13123149810# then hit call. this resets the sms center on your phone (what a rep told me). go to the text app and send text to 151 and see if it works. good luck!

Message 20 of 20 (14,082 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.