Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 17, 2011
9:28:19 AM
View profile
Cannot send or receive text messages on 4S...

Hello, I am a new iPhone customer. Received my 4S on Friday after pre-ordering from ATT on the 7th. Had no problems activating and can send and receive calls just fine. I cannot, however, send text messages or receive any from anyone other than ATT. It shows that I send them, but the people never receive them. Likewise, people have told me they sent me texts that I never received. I have only gotten the free messages from ATT.

ATT chat yesterday told me this was a known problem, however, I haven't been able to find other cases posted in this forum or elsewhere online so I was curious if it is just me or if others who recently activated their phones are having the same issue. Hoping for a solution soon!

Thanks for the help!

Hello, I am a new iPhone customer. Received my 4S on Friday after pre-ordering from ATT on the 7th. Had no problems activating and can send and receive calls just fine. I cannot, however, send text messages or receive any from anyone other than ATT. It shows that I send them, but the people never receive them. Likewise, people have told me they sent me texts that I never received. I have only gotten the free messages from ATT.

ATT chat yesterday told me this was a known problem, however, I haven't been able to find other cases posted in this forum or elsewhere online so I was curious if it is just me or if others who recently activated their phones are having the same issue. Hoping for a solution soon!

Thanks for the help!

Cannot send or receive text messages on 4S...

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 12:46:45 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm with you on this. I pre-ordered the iPhone 4S for both my wife and myself. We swtiched from another carrier and I spent about an hour on the phone Friday with tech support to get an answer of: "it takes roughly 72 hours after you have ported your number to being recieving your messages from other carriers as the inter carrier network has to transition."

OK...fast forward to this morning and my iPhone 4S can recieve messages from anyone on AT&T, but I cannot send, even to 151. The dreaded exclamation point pops up and says Message Send Failure. I tried a network reset and it didn't work.

Finally, I decided to speak with tech support. We go through a bunch of things and nothing works. Finally, she tells me to wipe my iPhone 4S clear and it will work. I do that and it doesn't fix it. The response I get is she has escalated it to a specialized team for resolve. She then proceeds to tell me I will get a text by the morning of October 20th (thursday) with a resolve. Are you kidding me? This is really making me wonder why I switched to AT&T to begin with. Crazy thing is my wife's iPhone 4S works great and all her texts are coming through now, but I am stuck here with a brick that I can call from and that is about it.
I'm with you on this. I pre-ordered the iPhone 4S for both my wife and myself. We swtiched from another carrier and I spent about an hour on the phone Friday with tech support to get an answer of: "it takes roughly 72 hours after you have ported your number to being recieving your messages from other carriers as the inter carrier network has to transition."

OK...fast forward to this morning and my iPhone 4S can recieve messages from anyone on AT&T, but I cannot send, even to 151. The dreaded exclamation point pops up and says Message Send Failure. I tried a network reset and it didn't work.

Finally, I decided to speak with tech support. We go through a bunch of things and nothing works. Finally, she tells me to wipe my iPhone 4S clear and it will work. I do that and it doesn't fix it. The response I get is she has escalated it to a specialized team for resolve. She then proceeds to tell me I will get a text by the morning of October 20th (thursday) with a resolve. Are you kidding me? This is really making me wonder why I switched to AT&T to begin with. Crazy thing is my wife's iPhone 4S works great and all her texts are coming through now, but I am stuck here with a brick that I can call from and that is about it.

Re: Cannot send or receive text messages on 4S...

2 of 20 (17,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 1:42:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

The strange thing for me is when I send one, it looks like I sent it. I get no errors, but no one ever receives it. Same with when people send me one; it shows that it goes through on their side but I don't receive it. Maybe we have different problems?

The strange thing for me is when I send one, it looks like I sent it. I get no errors, but no one ever receives it. Same with when people send me one; it shows that it goes through on their side but I don't receive it. Maybe we have different problems?

3 of 20 (17,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 1:53:13 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

sajero2 wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I haven't seen anything regarding this particular issue but thanks for posting about it (you too mcbush25). I'll see what I can find out!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

sajero2 wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I haven't seen anything regarding this particular issue but thanks for posting about it (you too mcbush25). I'll see what I can find out!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 20 (17,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 4:04:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

Please do let me know, jamileh. Because your chat support yesterday told me it was a "known issue" but it still isn't working for me and they didn't help me. Thanks!

Please do let me know, jamileh. Because your chat support yesterday told me it was a "known issue" but it still isn't working for me and they didn't help me. Thanks!

5 of 20 (17,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 9:09:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am on an iPhone 4, and upgraded to iOS 5, and ever since the upgrade i cannot receive texts either.  Haven't tried to send any, will test that.  Someone on a Verizon phone (not an iphone) tried sending me texts, and they didn't arrive.  And that person's texting was working, he was texting others and sending and receiving fine.   I also have my twitter account set up to send me texts, and I'm not receiving those either.

I am on an iPhone 4, and upgraded to iOS 5, and ever since the upgrade i cannot receive texts either.  Haven't tried to send any, will test that.  Someone on a Verizon phone (not an iphone) tried sending me texts, and they didn't arrive.  And that person's texting was working, he was texting others and sending and receiving fine.   I also have my twitter account set up to send me texts, and I'm not receiving those either.

6 of 20 (17,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 9:12:43 PM
(0)
Master

I have not seen this issue either but try resetting your network settings.

Settings>General>reset>Reset network settings.  You will have to setup your wifi networks again but that often clears up some garbage without having to setup you phone again.

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I have not seen this issue either but try resetting your network settings.

Settings>General>reset>Reset network settings.  You will have to setup your wifi networks again but that often clears up some garbage without having to setup you phone again.

Good Luck!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

7 of 20 (17,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 9:50:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ok I tried resetting the network settings.   There wasn't a flood of incoming texts waiting, so I'm guessing that didn't work, but we'll see.

Ok I tried resetting the network settings.   There wasn't a flood of incoming texts waiting, so I'm guessing that didn't work, but we'll see.

8 of 20 (17,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 6:53:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yikes, tried resetting the network thing and now I can't join my work WiFi even though I am entering the correct password. Hope that didn't screw it up somehow! Never had a problem joining before.

Yikes, tried resetting the network thing and now I can't join my work WiFi even though I am entering the correct password. Hope that didn't screw it up somehow! Never had a problem joining before.

9 of 20 (17,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 7:20:40 AM
(0)
Master

sajero2 wrote:

It will clear all your wifi hotspots but it should not cause any other problems.  Double check that the autocorrect is not doing something unexpected with your password; type very slowly.  

sajero2 wrote:

It will clear all your wifi hotspots but it should not cause any other problems.  Double check that the autocorrect is not doing something unexpected with your password; type very slowly.  

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 20 (17,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 7:29:24 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by sajero2 on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:29:51 AM

Yeah, it's odd. I've tried several times. Maybe it's just the WiFi here. I'll have to try later. It keeps telling me I'm unable to join. In any case, it did not solve the texting problem. Smiley Sad But thanks for the idea!

Yeah, it's odd. I've tried several times. Maybe it's just the WiFi here. I'll have to try later. It keeps telling me I'm unable to join. In any case, it did not solve the texting problem. Smiley Sad But thanks for the idea!

[ Edited ]
11 of 20 (16,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 7:36:15 AM
(0)
Master

sajero2 wrote:

In any case, it did not solve the texting problem. Smiley Sad But thanks for the idea!

Have you called ATT and asked them to double check your account to make sure the stars are aligned properly?  Sometimes things happen there?

Good Luck!

sajero2 wrote:

In any case, it did not solve the texting problem. Smiley Sad But thanks for the idea!

Have you called ATT and asked them to double check your account to make sure the stars are aligned properly?  Sometimes things happen there?

Good Luck!

12 of 20 (16,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 7:38:10 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

sajero2 wrote:

Hey sajero2 - are you getting any error messages on your phone? 

--------------

sajero2 wrote:

Hey sajero2 - are you getting any error messages on your phone? 

--------------

13 of 20 (16,540 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 7:54:03 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:55:37 AM

Hey all - if you're experiencing an issue where you can't send/receive text messages would you please do me a favor and log into your account on www.att.com and make sure you selected a messaging plan when you did your upgrade?

Scroll down to the "Web Text and More" section and make sure you have a messaging plan selected. 

• If you don't, add one and let me know if that resolves your issue. 
  • If you do, and you're still seing this issue with no error message, please send me a private message with your name, the messaging plan on your account, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you. 
--------------

Hey all - if you're experiencing an issue where you can't send/receive text messages would you please do me a favor and log into your account on www.att.com and make sure you selected a messaging plan when you did your upgrade?

Scroll down to the "Web Text and More" section and make sure you have a messaging plan selected. 

• If you don't, add one and let me know if that resolves your issue. 
  • If you do, and you're still seing this issue with no error message, please send me a private message with your name, the messaging plan on your account, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you. 
--------------

[ Edited ]
14 of 20 (16,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 8:41:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

Text messaging stopped workign for me as well, I just got iOS5.  That was NOT the problem, I read this post and it seems when my phone was upgraded they dropped the text messaging package on it.  Just like this said, I checked, that was the problem, and I re-added text messaging.

Thanks!!!

Text messaging stopped workign for me as well, I just got iOS5.  That was NOT the problem, I read this post and it seems when my phone was upgraded they dropped the text messaging package on it.  Just like this said, I checked, that was the problem, and I re-added text messaging.

Thanks!!!

15 of 20 (16,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 10:47:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same issue with my text messaging plan being dropped.  I ordered my iPhone 4S through AT&T (and I waited two weeks for it while my friends that didn't pre-order just walked into Apple stores to buy theirs - but that's another story) and activated it online.  Everything about my plan should have stayed the same, but for some reason my text messaging plan vanished.   A very nice customer support rep added it back in, but I still went a whole day unable to send texts and had to waste time on the phone because of AT&T's mistake.  As usual, the problem was AT&T and not Apple.  So before anyone else with this issue blames iOS, just log into you account online and make sure there is still a text messaging plan associated with your line.

I had the same issue with my text messaging plan being dropped.  I ordered my iPhone 4S through AT&T (and I waited two weeks for it while my friends that didn't pre-order just walked into Apple stores to buy theirs - but that's another story) and activated it online.  Everything about my plan should have stayed the same, but for some reason my text messaging plan vanished.   A very nice customer support rep added it back in, but I still went a whole day unable to send texts and had to waste time on the phone because of AT&T's mistake.  As usual, the problem was AT&T and not Apple.  So before anyone else with this issue blames iOS, just log into you account online and make sure there is still a text messaging plan associated with your line.

16 of 20 (16,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 12:47:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

I checked my account and sure enough, I didn't have a message choice selected.  I selected my choice, waited about 45 minutes, and was able to begin texting again.

I checked my account and sure enough, I didn't have a message choice selected.  I selected my choice, waited about 45 minutes, and was able to begin texting again.

17 of 20 (15,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 9:33:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

People aren't receiving text messages because they don't have a text plan?  If you don't have a text plan shouldn't you be defaulted into the Pay Per Use Messaging Plan and still send/receive texts but be charged per text?

I just got rid of my unlimited texting plan because it's ridiculous to pay $20 a month for the 5 texts I send a month.  But now that I'm on the Pay Per Use Messaging Plan I can no longer send or receive text messages.  If this is because I "got rid of my text plan" I am going to be very unhappy.  What else is the Pay Per Use plan for?

If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

People aren't receiving text messages because they don't have a text plan?  If you don't have a text plan shouldn't you be defaulted into the Pay Per Use Messaging Plan and still send/receive texts but be charged per text?

I just got rid of my unlimited texting plan because it's ridiculous to pay $20 a month for the 5 texts I send a month.  But now that I'm on the Pay Per Use Messaging Plan I can no longer send or receive text messages.  If this is because I "got rid of my text plan" I am going to be very unhappy.  What else is the Pay Per Use plan for?

If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

18 of 20 (15,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 9:47:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
The only way you aren't getting text messages, is if you have them blocked. I have never had a text messaging plan and get texts all the time.
Contact Customer Service and see if somehow your texts are blocked.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
The only way you aren't getting text messages, is if you have them blocked. I have never had a text messaging plan and get texts all the time.
Contact Customer Service and see if somehow your texts are blocked.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 20 (15,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 12:11:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

try this it worked for me : go to the dialer and type in this number : *5005*7672*+13123149810# then hit call. this resets the sms center on your phone (what a rep told me). go to the text app and send text to 151 and see if it works. good luck!

try this it worked for me : go to the dialer and type in this number : *5005*7672*+13123149810# then hit call. this resets the sms center on your phone (what a rep told me). go to the text app and send text to 151 and see if it works. good luck!

20 of 20 (14,006 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments