Cannot get a straight answer from ATT or Applie re: dropped calls

Contributor

Cannot get a straight answer from ATT or Applie re: dropped calls

I've had an iphone 4 for three months.   About a week ago EVERY SINGLE call I make drops and I get a "call failed" message.  I called AT & T who basically told me not our problem.  Talk to Apple.   Apple was going to charge me $29.95 for the priviledge of speaking to someone on the phone.  I went into an AT&T store.   They tell me "well to be honest it's probably our network.   We have several towers in the process of being upgraded to our 4G like network"     He tells me that it should be fixed by the end of the month. But then he adds, that's what they told us last month.     REALLY AT&T?  Cmon.    Now i look on the message boards and people recommend trying a new SIM card.    Which is it?

Message 1 of 7 (533 Views)
Professor

Re: Cannot get a straight answer from ATT or Applie re: dropped calls

ktksmom wrote:

I've had an iphone 4 for three months.   About a week ago EVERY SINGLE call I make drops and I get a "call failed" message.  I called AT & T who basically told me not our problem.  Talk to Apple.   Apple was going to charge me $29.95 for the priviledge of speaking to someone on the phone.  I went into an AT&T store.   They tell me "well to be honest it's probably our network.   We have several towers in the process of being upgraded to our 4G like network"     He tells me that it should be fixed by the end of the month. But then he adds, that's what they told us last month.     REALLY AT&T?  Cmon.    Now i look on the message boards and people recommend trying a new SIM card.    Which is it?

29.95$?  that does not sound right. make a appointment with the Genius bar its **FREE**  try a hard reset hold the home button and the power button 10 seconds this will reboot your iphone. or a restore to see if that fixes it. AT&T will not do product support for the iphone.so the apple store for support.

Message 2 of 7 (528 Views)
Master

Phone support after 90 days does cost with Apple. As suggested, go to the genius bar at Apple for no charge diagnosis. They will be able to figure out what is going on. Do you know anyone else who is having problems? Are your problems all the time of isolated to certain areas? If so, it could be the tower but I am thinking you have a bad SIM or bad phone.

Make an appointment at www.apple.com/retail

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 7 (514 Views)
ACE - Professor

Sorry you're having problems.

Do you use you phone primarily in one location, or does the problem happen even 10-15 miles away? If you're always in the same (general) location when it happens, that sounds like a tower issue. If it happens everywhere, even when you've driven a sizeable distance, it's your handset.

Taking it to the Apple 'bar is free. Fixing it is free if its a year or less old. Phone support isn't going to help you here anyway, someone needs to physically look at the device.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (488 Views)

Heres what you need to do. Get an appointment when Apple and have them test out your phone. Make sure you do a backup before at home before you go there.  They will test the phone and try to make calls. If they are not able to they should then try to reseat the Sim card and try again. If that does not work they should try with another sim card. Most the employees there will have att for service my Genius guy used his own sim card and his worked.  So we figured out its the sim and they sent me to ATT to get another sim card. (Knowing ATT you might want something in writing from the genius bar explaining a defective sim card or they might want to charge you for a new one.  

However if the new techs sim card also doesnt work you are already at the apple store and they can do a replacement for you right there. 

Message 5 of 7 (478 Views)
Contributor

Thanks everyone!   Looks like I will be making a trip to the Genius Bar!

Message 6 of 7 (444 Views)

I don't know if you had already gone to the apple "genius" bar yet, (haha..) but try this before you go.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

I've had luck doing this before. Let me know if you are able to make calls without "call failed" or it being dropped.

ktksmom wrote:

Thanks everyone!   Looks like I will be making a trip to the Genius Bar!

Message 7 of 7 (417 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.