Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2010
9:01:27 PM
View profile
Canadian users being able to buy the MICRO-SIM from AT&T for use on their iPAD in the US

I am reviewing the iPAD device and am aware that the local networks in Toronto all use the same 3G network (bandwidths) as per AT&T.  When I buy the iPAD at Apple, I can choose (in Canada) a provider to receive the first chip with the device.

If I had to, I would merely go to another provider and buy the micro-sim ($10-20). 

I came to the AT&T site and it seemed to suggest it was for "replacement" purposes and/or sort of suggested I needed to add devices etc to fullfil the order.

That said - if I bot the iPAD (in Canada) and wanted to use it in the US - is it as simple as going to a local AT&T store - buying the chip ($15?) and that is it?  Then I plug it into the iPAD, and then subscribe to pay AT&T money to use the service.

Yes?

Or is there going to be a problem seeing as that I am not from the US or something? 

I think the device is great and the no obligation "not locked in" contract (pay as you go month to month) is amazing.  I am just planning ahead when we go on trips to the US - that I would take the device and then sign up for the service as we cross the border.

Thanks

belly

I am reviewing the iPAD device and am aware that the local networks in Toronto all use the same 3G network (bandwidths) as per AT&T.  When I buy the iPAD at Apple, I can choose (in Canada) a provider to receive the first chip with the device.

If I had to, I would merely go to another provider and buy the micro-sim ($10-20). 

I came to the AT&T site and it seemed to suggest it was for "replacement" purposes and/or sort of suggested I needed to add devices etc to fullfil the order.

That said - if I bot the iPAD (in Canada) and wanted to use it in the US - is it as simple as going to a local AT&T store - buying the chip ($15?) and that is it?  Then I plug it into the iPAD, and then subscribe to pay AT&T money to use the service.

Yes?

Or is there going to be a problem seeing as that I am not from the US or something? 

I think the device is great and the no obligation "not locked in" contract (pay as you go month to month) is amazing.  I am just planning ahead when we go on trips to the US - that I would take the device and then sign up for the service as we cross the border.

Thanks

belly

Canadian users being able to buy the MICRO-SIM from AT&T for use on their iPAD in the US

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 11:32:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

The Ipads sold in the US are unlocked...not sure about the ones in Canada, if they are unlocked, check with the local apple store and ask them if you can use At&t, remember thou you do have only two options, 200 megs, or 2 gigs.

The Ipads sold in the US are unlocked...not sure about the ones in Canada, if they are unlocked, check with the local apple store and ask them if you can use At&t, remember thou you do have only two options, 200 megs, or 2 gigs.

Re: Canadian users being able to buy the MICRO-SIM from AT&T for use on their iPAD in the US

2 of 5 (2,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 6:47:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes they are unlocked in Canada - hence we can choose our provider initially and/or change the provider. 

Just trying to see ahead of time if there are going to be any problems walking into an AT&T store.

thanks

Yes they are unlocked in Canada - hence we can choose our provider initially and/or change the provider. 

Just trying to see ahead of time if there are going to be any problems walking into an AT&T store.

thanks

Re: Canadian users being able to buy the MICRO-SIM from AT&T for use on their iPAD in the US

3 of 5 (2,223 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 7:17:33 AM
(0)
Master

I can think of no reason why ATT would not sell you a sim.  The price is actually $25 but often they will give them to you for free.   I know I have never paid for a SIM since coming to ATT Wireless in 2002.  It is in their best interests and bottom line to have you use their service.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I can think of no reason why ATT would not sell you a sim.  The price is actually $25 but often they will give them to you for free.   I know I have never paid for a SIM since coming to ATT Wireless in 2002.  It is in their best interests and bottom line to have you use their service.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4 of 5 (2,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 6:39:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been trying do do this today without much luck. Getting the micro-sim is not much trouble but setting up an account without a credit card attached to a U.S. address sure is. I have an American Visa credit and a debit card but both are tied to my Canadian address. A T & T account sign-up does not allow Canadian addresses. Short sighted on A T & T's part with the number of Canadian snowbirds that are becoming more the tech generation. Tomorrow I will try a prepaid visa debit card and use my vacation condo address and see if that works. 

I have been trying do do this today without much luck. Getting the micro-sim is not much trouble but setting up an account without a credit card attached to a U.S. address sure is. I have an American Visa credit and a debit card but both are tied to my Canadian address. A T & T account sign-up does not allow Canadian addresses. Short sighted on A T & T's part with the number of Canadian snowbirds that are becoming more the tech generation. Tomorrow I will try a prepaid visa debit card and use my vacation condo address and see if that works. 

5 of 5 (907 Views)