Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 25, 2010
10:10:45 PM
View profile
Can you track an iphone with it's serial number?

I recently lost my iphone 3gs. I was wondering if whoever found it and connects it, will Att be able to track the device by its serial number?

I recently lost my iphone 3gs. I was wondering if whoever found it and connects it, will Att be able to track the device by its serial number?

Can you track an iphone with it's serial number?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 10:30:00 PM
(0)
Professor

Nope, they will not do anything to help you with this one... fyi MobileMe has great feature called "Find My iPhone", check it out if you get another iPhone...

Nope, they will not do anything to help you with this one... fyi MobileMe has great feature called "Find My iPhone", check it out if you get another iPhone...

Re: Can you track an iphone with it's serial number?

2 of 6 (24,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 10:43:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for your comment..Very dissapointed. I did purchase another iphone and this time purchased moile me..lesson learned.

Thanks for your comment..Very dissapointed. I did purchase another iphone and this time purchased moile me..lesson learned.

3 of 6 (24,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 2:59:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

The real bad part to this is, if you purchase a new phone you have to log into your itunes account with your login for itunes or AOL.

This does keep track of how many authorized computers you have connected to and did downloads with. That definitely records your serial number of your phone.

So, just like google. Apple does have a record of your phone being reinitialized somewhere else. But, there would be no profit in Mobile Me (Which is the same cost as a new 8gb 3G phone with 2 year activation)

Question is:

who is going to be the rich person that comes up with a "good" application to track your phone like Sprint does for free! (Thats if apple authorizes your application and it doesn't infringe on them)

The real bad part to this is, if you purchase a new phone you have to log into your itunes account with your login for itunes or AOL.

This does keep track of how many authorized computers you have connected to and did downloads with. That definitely records your serial number of your phone.

So, just like google. Apple does have a record of your phone being reinitialized somewhere else. But, there would be no profit in Mobile Me (Which is the same cost as a new 8gb 3G phone with 2 year activation)

Question is:

who is going to be the rich person that comes up with a "good" application to track your phone like Sprint does for free! (Thats if apple authorizes your application and it doesn't infringe on them)

4 of 6 (24,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 7:07:59 PM
(0)
Master

This horse is so dead, it's already been taken to the glue factory.  Neither Apple nor AT&T will track phones without law enforcement interaction, and they will not blacklist phones that are reported lost or stolen.  MobileMe is a great deal more than just the Find My iPhone feature.  And it's unlikely that Apple will allow a third-party application to perform this function because it's against their SDK terms.  Third-party apps aren't allowed to run in the background like Apple apps (which include MobileMe). 

Perhaps you should submit an enhancement request to Apple to suggest they decouple the Find My iPhone feature from MobileMe and sell it separately, either as a yearly service or a one-time fee (per iPhone).

This horse is so dead, it's already been taken to the glue factory.  Neither Apple nor AT&T will track phones without law enforcement interaction, and they will not blacklist phones that are reported lost or stolen.  MobileMe is a great deal more than just the Find My iPhone feature.  And it's unlikely that Apple will allow a third-party application to perform this function because it's against their SDK terms.  Third-party apps aren't allowed to run in the background like Apple apps (which include MobileMe). 

Perhaps you should submit an enhancement request to Apple to suggest they decouple the Find My iPhone feature from MobileMe and sell it separately, either as a yearly service or a one-time fee (per iPhone).

5 of 6 (24,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 7:38:48 PM
(0)
Guru

Yes, the glue is made, but think of how many people own iPhones vs how many have lost/got it stolen who have come here to ask questions like this.  It's natural and there will be many more to come. 

Maybe they should come up with a new tethering.  Add a clip to all new iPhones and TETHER it you a belt loop?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

Yes, the glue is made, but think of how many people own iPhones vs how many have lost/got it stolen who have come here to ask questions like this.  It's natural and there will be many more to come. 

Maybe they should come up with a new tethering.  Add a clip to all new iPhones and TETHER it you a belt loop?

Sent from my iPhone 4

6 of 6 (24,493 Views)