Can you put any AT&T sim in an iPhone?

Contributor

Can you put any AT&T sim in an iPhone?

Recently, I bought a cell phone (a Pantech Link II), without a data plan. Since it was new I obvoiusly recieved a new SIM with it.
Here's my idea: My dad's old iphone 3 (not 3gs, just 3g) is still functional (I actually use it as an Ipod). Can I put the SIM from my new phone into the iphone?
I know that I physically can put it in (in fact, I already have. The iphone gives me a notification that the phone is activated).
I was just wondering if this is legal and what not. I'm not using data, of course, bc that was not paid for with my plan and I don't want extra charges. Will AT&T force me to buy a data plan, or will I be able to use the iPhone for texting and calling only?

Message 1 of 5
Scholar

Re: Can you put any AT&T sim in an iPhone?

From what I recall, someone told me if you don't launch the browser on smartphone, att won't force you to get a data plan. 

Message 2 of 5
Guru

If you are using an iPhone, you have to have a data plan on your plan. If you don't have it AT&T WILL add one to your account. They can tell just from the IEMI on the phone. It happened to me a couple years ago.
Message 3 of 5
Professor

Data is a required for the Iphone.

Message 4 of 5

Yes, you can physically place your SIM card in the iPhone 3G. Keep in mind that all smart phones, including the iPhone, require a data plan. AT&T can detect the IMEI of the phone you are using and once they catch you using a smart phone without a data plan they will automatically add one for you.

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support