Helpful Links

Can you put any AT&T sim in an iPhone?

Contributor

Can you put any AT&T sim in an iPhone?

Recently, I bought a cell phone (a Pantech Link II), without a data plan. Since it was new I obvoiusly recieved a new SIM with it.
Here's my idea: My dad's old iphone 3 (not 3gs, just 3g) is still functional (I actually use it as an Ipod). Can I put the SIM from my new phone into the iphone?
I know that I physically can put it in (in fact, I already have. The iphone gives me a notification that the phone is activated).
I was just wondering if this is legal and what not. I'm not using data, of course, bc that was not paid for with my plan and I don't want extra charges. Will AT&T force me to buy a data plan, or will I be able to use the iPhone for texting and calling only?

Message 1 of 5
Scholar

Re: Can you put any AT&T sim in an iPhone?

From what I recall, someone told me if you don't launch the browser on smartphone, att won't force you to get a data plan. 

Message 2 of 5
Guru

If you are using an iPhone, you have to have a data plan on your plan. If you don't have it AT&T WILL add one to your account. They can tell just from the IEMI on the phone. It happened to me a couple years ago.
Message 3 of 5
Professor

Data is a required for the Iphone.

Message 4 of 5

Yes, you can physically place your SIM card in the iPhone 3G. Keep in mind that all smart phones, including the iPhone, require a data plan. AT&T can detect the IMEI of the phone you are using and once they catch you using a smart phone without a data plan they will automatically add one for you.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support