Can you PLAY A GAME at the same time you talk on the phone with an IPhone 4?

Contributor

Can you PLAY A GAME at the same time you talk on the phone with an IPhone 4?

I have an IPhone 3GS and once you are on a call that's all you can is be on the call. With the Iphone 4 once you are on a call can you leave the call screen and go to your menu or play a game, etc.while you are talking on the phone? Play a game or send a text or read email? ANything other than JUST be on the call?

Message 1 of 8 (2,013 Views)
Master

Re: Can you PLAY A GAME at the same time you talk on the phone with an IPhone 4?

That is the big difference between Verizon and ATT.  On both you can do simultaneous things but on ATT you can also do something that used data while you are on a call.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 8 (2,012 Views)
Contributor

Re: Can you PLAY A GAME at the same time you talk on the phone with an IPhone 4?

I saw a picture of the IPhone 4 call screen and I don't see any icon or button that allows you to leave your call screen to go play a game. I looked on the Apple IPhone 4 features page and see that the call screen looks the same on the IPhone 4 as it does on my IPhone 3GS except for the facechat button. How do you leave the call screen to start playing a game once you are on a call? I am asking because I think if you CAN play a game while on a call I would rather have the IPhone 4. But I can't get a straight answer from someone who has AT&T and an IPhone 4.

Message 3 of 8 (2,010 Views)
Master

Mspeggysue911 wrote:

I saw a picture of the IPhone 4 call screen and I don't see any icon or button that allows you to leave your call screen to go play a game. I looked on the Apple IPhone 4 features page and see that the call screen looks the same on the IPhone 4 as it does on my IPhone 3GS except for the facechat button. How do you leave the call screen to start playing a game once you are on a call? I am asking because I think if you CAN play a game while on a call I would rather have the IPhone 4. But I can't get a straight answer from someone who has AT&T and an IPhone 4.

You can do both on a 3GS too.  Just press the home key to leave the call screen then navigate to your game.  You do not need a new iPhone to do this.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 4 of 8 (2,006 Views)
Highlighted

youngjm wrote:

That is the big difference between Verizon and ATT.  On both you can do simultaneous things but on ATT you can also do something that used data while you are on a call.

I think you can do both now on Verizon's LTE network.  Sprint can do same using WiMax.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 5 of 8 (1,989 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

hidden_dragon wrote:

youngjm wrote:

I think you can do both now on Verizon's LTE network.  Sprint can do same using WiMax.

My undersanding is that you cannot use voice and data at the same time on Verizon.  In the case of a game that does not need to use data, you can play both that game and make a call.  I am not sure if WiMax has any such limitations with voice and data.  That limitation is more of a CDMA thing.  Once Verizon has an LTE iPhone (hopefully next year) that difference will not exist as LTE like GSM, EDGE, 3G will support both voice and data simultaneously.

Message 6 of 8 (1,964 Views)
Guru

youngjm wrote:

hidden_dragon wrote:

youngjm wrote:

My undersanding is that you cannot use voice and data at the same time on Verizon.  In the case of a game that does not need to use data, you can play both that game and make a call.  I am not sure if WiMax has any such limitations with voice and data.  That limitation is more of a CDMA thing.  Once Verizon has an LTE iPhone (hopefully next year) that difference will not exist as LTE like GSM, EDGE, 3G will support both voice and data simultaneously.

You are correct.
The only way you can multitask (for ex safari) on verizon is by being on wifi as well.

Message 7 of 8 (1,947 Views)
Guru

youngjm wrote:

Mspeggysue911 wrote:

You can do both on a 3GS too.  Just press the home key to leave the call screen then navigate to your game.  You do not need a new iPhone to do this.

This should be marked as accepted. You are correct on how to multitask while on a call.

Message 8 of 8 (1,945 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.