Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 25, 2011
3:24:19 PM
View profile
Can they charge the cost of a phone to my bill?

Good Evening Everyone...

I do not know if this is in the right forum so I apologize if it is.  I was thinking about getting a Iphone4 from my local at@t store and was wondering if they could put the cost of the phone on my bill?  I know I will have to sign a new contract. Been with at@t for 4 years. Always paid on time if that makes a difference.  Thank you for your help!

Good Evening Everyone...

I do not know if this is in the right forum so I apologize if it is.  I was thinking about getting a Iphone4 from my local at@t store and was wondering if they could put the cost of the phone on my bill?  I know I will have to sign a new contract. Been with at@t for 4 years. Always paid on time if that makes a difference.  Thank you for your help!

Can they charge the cost of a phone to my bill?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 4:26:12 PM
(0)
Professor

Good question. I am not sure if AT&T will do that or not. I know when I got my first phone, I had to pay upfront just to get the order processed.  Any upgraded phones thereafter, I paid whatever 'additional costs' there may have been, but I guess the actual cost of the phone was in my bill spread out for the new contract period.

Good question. I am not sure if AT&T will do that or not. I know when I got my first phone, I had to pay upfront just to get the order processed.  Any upgraded phones thereafter, I paid whatever 'additional costs' there may have been, but I guess the actual cost of the phone was in my bill spread out for the new contract period.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: Can they charge the cost of a phone to my bill?

2 of 12 (19,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 10:15:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
They will only bill for phone upgrades on commercial accounts. On personal or family accounts, the cost must be paid at time of purchase.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
They will only bill for phone upgrades on commercial accounts. On personal or family accounts, the cost must be paid at time of purchase.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (19,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 1:51:31 PM
(0)
Guru

Phone + taxes due must be paid at time of purchase.

Only activation, prorated monthly charges and second full months charges will be billed to account.

Phone + taxes due must be paid at time of purchase.

Only activation, prorated monthly charges and second full months charges will be billed to account.

4 of 12 (19,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 1:48:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

They can. There's a special department called Customer Lifecycle Managment. As long as it's not an iphone they can bill it to your account.

They can. There's a special department called Customer Lifecycle Managment. As long as it's not an iphone they can bill it to your account.

5 of 12 (19,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 8:46:44 PM
(0)
Professor
Well that could help a lot of customers who could use that help.
Well that could help a lot of customers who could use that help.

6 of 12 (19,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 2:02:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

I would assume since you have been a customer for a while they woudl be able to charge the phone to your bill and mail it out, probably cut it into payments too where you only pay X amount every month that they add onto your bill for the phone. I was with a different carrier before and they always did this, but insisted on the 1st payment being made right then and there while I was ordering the phone.

I was able to order my phone (not an iphone, a dummy phone) and have it put on my bill with no money paid and they mailed it out and everything.

I would assume since you have been a customer for a while they woudl be able to charge the phone to your bill and mail it out, probably cut it into payments too where you only pay X amount every month that they add onto your bill for the phone. I was with a different carrier before and they always did this, but insisted on the 1st payment being made right then and there while I was ordering the phone.

I was able to order my phone (not an iphone, a dummy phone) and have it put on my bill with no money paid and they mailed it out and everything.

7 of 12 (19,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 2:18:09 PM
(0)
Professor
Now thats a really nice option
Now thats a really nice option

8 of 12 (19,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2011 1:02:31 PM
(0)
Mentor
I don't think CLM does this anymore.
I don't think CLM does this anymore.

9 of 12 (19,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2011 3:52:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
This is not a standarded practice. It must be approved by a call center director and the amount with taxes has to be less then $250. Also the bill can not be split up. If it is put on your Bill it will be due when your next balance is due.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
This is not a standarded practice. It must be approved by a call center director and the amount with taxes has to be less then $250. Also the bill can not be split up. If it is put on your Bill it will be due when your next balance is due.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

10 of 12 (19,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 2:53:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

Interesting thread about the phone bills but I was just quite embarrassed of the so called "bill shock" which I read from this article Cell phone carriers and FCC reach agreement over bill shock  as  I was browsing on the web. Isn’t it frustrating that you only find out that you’ve exceeded your plan when you get your phone bill? It’s hard to actually keep track of how much you’ve already consumed especially if you’re busy with important things in life like running a business, keeping your employees in check, keeping in contact with business partners.

Interesting thread about the phone bills but I was just quite embarrassed of the so called "bill shock" which I read from this article Cell phone carriers and FCC reach agreement over bill shock  as  I was browsing on the web. Isn’t it frustrating that you only find out that you’ve exceeded your plan when you get your phone bill? It’s hard to actually keep track of how much you’ve already consumed especially if you’re busy with important things in life like running a business, keeping your employees in check, keeping in contact with business partners.

11 of 12 (18,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 4:27:12 AM
(0)
Professor

AlexaYork wrote:

Yes, its a shocker for sure. There are several apps today, that tracks calling and data. But I am glad FCC has pushed this regulation. We all "know" the carriers were bankrolling on overages every month and would have preferred to keep that extry chumpchange rolling in.

AlexaYork wrote:

Yes, its a shocker for sure. There are several apps today, that tracks calling and data. But I am glad FCC has pushed this regulation. We all "know" the carriers were bankrolling on overages every month and would have preferred to keep that extry chumpchange rolling in.

12 of 12 (18,328 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments