Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 22, 2011
7:31:10 PM
View profile
Can't connect other phones

Just recently activated a Microcell and our two phones connected flawlessly.  When I went to enter in other phone numbers to use it those phones have not connected yet and it has been two days.  Is there something I am doing incorrectly?  The numbers are entered correctly if you are wondering. 

Outside of that the Microcell seems to be working great and we have iPhones which seemed to be a pretty big problem based on the number of posts. 

Any input would be appreciated.

Just recently activated a Microcell and our two phones connected flawlessly.  When I went to enter in other phone numbers to use it those phones have not connected yet and it has been two days.  Is there something I am doing incorrectly?  The numbers are entered correctly if you are wondering. 

Outside of that the Microcell seems to be working great and we have iPhones which seemed to be a pretty big problem based on the number of posts. 

Can't connect other phones

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 8:59:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mamoore267 wrote:

Are the other phones on the AT&T service? Added phone numbers other than the account holder's need to be on AT&T. We have nine numbers that can use our MicroCell but all of them are AT&T customers.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

mamoore267 wrote:

Are the other phones on the AT&T service? Added phone numbers other than the account holder's need to be on AT&T. We have nine numbers that can use our MicroCell but all of them are AT&T customers.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can't connect other phones

2 of 23 (1,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 10:58:30 AM
(0)

Yes, they are all AT&T numbers and ironically my father in-law is having the same issue with his Microcell.

Yes, they are all AT&T numbers and ironically my father in-law is having the same issue with his Microcell.

3 of 23 (1,694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 12:28:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hmmm, that's odd. Is your father-in-law in the same area? Have you tried to power cycle it or register/de-register? I hate to say it but if that doesn't work you may have to call support (they'll probably suggest to power cycle or re-register). It could be a regional thing with their servers. With AT&T it could be anything. Good luck.

Hmmm, that's odd. Is your father-in-law in the same area? Have you tried to power cycle it or register/de-register? I hate to say it but if that doesn't work you may have to call support (they'll probably suggest to power cycle or re-register). It could be a regional thing with their servers. With AT&T it could be anything. Good luck.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 23 (1,682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 1:21:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

Are you sure the other phones are 3g?

Are you sure the other phones are 3g?

5 of 23 (1,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 5:49:16 AM
(0)

What is strange is my phones worked great with my, hooked right up to my microcell and the same with my father in-laws.  He then entered in my sister in-laws and hers is working on it no problem, so he has a total of 3 phone numbers on his right now.  He entered in my number and it doesn't work and when I enter in his number and my sister in-laws they do not work on mine. 

Yes, they are all 3G phones and all of them work on one of the two microcells.  We are next door neighbors....can't wait to call support!  I have already dealt with AT&T support and I can see why it is ranked among the worst out of all the carriers. 

What is strange is my phones worked great with my, hooked right up to my microcell and the same with my father in-laws.  He then entered in my sister in-laws and hers is working on it no problem, so he has a total of 3 phone numbers on his right now.  He entered in my number and it doesn't work and when I enter in his number and my sister in-laws they do not work on mine. 

Yes, they are all 3G phones and all of them work on one of the two microcells.  We are next door neighbors....can't wait to call support!  I have already dealt with AT&T support and I can see why it is ranked among the worst out of all the carriers. 

6 of 23 (1,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 6:55:02 AM
(0)
Professor

I'm inclined to believe that it involves the ongoing system upgrades. I just added a line to my family plan three days ago where I assigned the new phone to an existing line and assigned the phone from the existing line to the new line. I have never had a problem connecting phones to my Microcell. I entered the new number, which is using the phone that was previously connected to the Microcell, into my approval list and the phone has yet been able to connect. The phone was connecting fine until I switched it to this new number. I believe the new number may be in a suspended approval process. A phone will not connect unless the number it is using has been approved. In the meantime, the already approved existing line with the new phone connects fine, yet on the settings website, I get a warning that the phone on that line may not be a 3G or 4G device and not connect. This despite the fact that the phone is connecting to the Microcell. This is because the automated detection system for devices is not detecting what brand and model phone I have on that line. I can see that on OLAM. Detection for that phone also appears to be in a suspended mode. I'm going to give it until the upgrades are done to see if it works itself out.

I'm inclined to believe that it involves the ongoing system upgrades. I just added a line to my family plan three days ago where I assigned the new phone to an existing line and assigned the phone from the existing line to the new line. I have never had a problem connecting phones to my Microcell. I entered the new number, which is using the phone that was previously connected to the Microcell, into my approval list and the phone has yet been able to connect. The phone was connecting fine until I switched it to this new number. I believe the new number may be in a suspended approval process. A phone will not connect unless the number it is using has been approved. In the meantime, the already approved existing line with the new phone connects fine, yet on the settings website, I get a warning that the phone on that line may not be a 3G or 4G device and not connect. This despite the fact that the phone is connecting to the Microcell. This is because the automated detection system for devices is not detecting what brand and model phone I have on that line. I can see that on OLAM. Detection for that phone also appears to be in a suspended mode. I'm going to give it until the upgrades are done to see if it works itself out.

7 of 23 (1,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 9:44:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mamoore267 wrote:

What I noticed when I added extended family members to our MicroCell (we have a total of 9 phone numbers) is that after I added the number, they had to turn off their phones and then turn them back on again to lock into the tower. I haven't paid much attention to what happens if their phones are on when they walk into the house after the initial "activation" but no one has complained that coverage sucks and they have to turn their phones off and on to get to the MC tower. I know that the phones that are on our account (5 of them) switch back and forth to the MicroCell whenever they enter or leave it's ranges and that includes 2 iPhone 3Gs with the most recent updates.

I think AT&T is till going thru it's update issues region wide. We are in the Bay Area so maybe we were one of the first to go thru the process. I know there have been a couple of updates in the last two months so this might be a step-wise process depending on how far AT&T has their heads up their..........

mamoore267 wrote:

What I noticed when I added extended family members to our MicroCell (we have a total of 9 phone numbers) is that after I added the number, they had to turn off their phones and then turn them back on again to lock into the tower. I haven't paid much attention to what happens if their phones are on when they walk into the house after the initial "activation" but no one has complained that coverage sucks and they have to turn their phones off and on to get to the MC tower. I know that the phones that are on our account (5 of them) switch back and forth to the MicroCell whenever they enter or leave it's ranges and that includes 2 iPhone 3Gs with the most recent updates.

I think AT&T is till going thru it's update issues region wide. We are in the Bay Area so maybe we were one of the first to go thru the process. I know there have been a couple of updates in the last two months so this might be a step-wise process depending on how far AT&T has their heads up their..........

8 of 23 (1,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 6:52:11 PM
(0)

Well my two phones are iPhone 3G's and the others I am not sure, just know they are not iPhones.  I know that with my father in-laws microcell they set up his right at the store and added my two sister in-laws and they work just fine on his. 

Mine I can only get my two phones to work.  Oh well I do not feel like spending 2 hours on the tech support line, so I will just roll with it.

Well my two phones are iPhone 3G's and the others I am not sure, just know they are not iPhones.  I know that with my father in-laws microcell they set up his right at the store and added my two sister in-laws and they work just fine on his. 

Mine I can only get my two phones to work.  Oh well I do not feel like spending 2 hours on the tech support line, so I will just roll with it.

9 of 23 (1,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 12:47:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

I am in exactly the same situation.  The phones that were on the approved MicroCell list when the device was activated connect just fine.  I added a new phone to the list (yes it's AT&T, yes it's 3G), the MicroCell settings page on att.com knows it's there and pulled up the subscriber's name, and it's been 3 days now and the phone won't connect to the MicroCell.  

I've tried rebooting the MicroCell multiple times.  I've tried turning the phone on and off, resetting the phone, and putting the phone in Airplane mode and out again multiple times.  Nothing works.

I really don't want to call support on this.  Does anyone have a recipe that works for this?  

I guess my next step will be to try deactivating/reactivating my MicroCell.  Isn't the trick to change the address to the same thing?  

I am in exactly the same situation.  The phones that were on the approved MicroCell list when the device was activated connect just fine.  I added a new phone to the list (yes it's AT&T, yes it's 3G), the MicroCell settings page on att.com knows it's there and pulled up the subscriber's name, and it's been 3 days now and the phone won't connect to the MicroCell.  

I've tried rebooting the MicroCell multiple times.  I've tried turning the phone on and off, resetting the phone, and putting the phone in Airplane mode and out again multiple times.  Nothing works.

I really don't want to call support on this.  Does anyone have a recipe that works for this?  

I guess my next step will be to try deactivating/reactivating my MicroCell.  Isn't the trick to change the address to the same thing?  

10 of 23 (1,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 3:30:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

OK further update.  I did a Disconnect on my MicroCell.  Then I logged back in to Manage Your MicroCell and it asked me to go through activation again.  My authorized phone list was reset.  So I fixed it and added the phones I wanted, re-activated, and now everyone connects.

My conclusion?  Adding a phone to the list after activation simply does not work.  I mean I waited 3 days and nothing, several others here have also waited multiple days.

AT&T, please take note?

Apparently the only way to change the authorized phone list is to disconnect and re-activate with a new list.

OK further update.  I did a Disconnect on my MicroCell.  Then I logged back in to Manage Your MicroCell and it asked me to go through activation again.  My authorized phone list was reset.  So I fixed it and added the phones I wanted, re-activated, and now everyone connects.

My conclusion?  Adding a phone to the list after activation simply does not work.  I mean I waited 3 days and nothing, several others here have also waited multiple days.

AT&T, please take note?

Apparently the only way to change the authorized phone list is to disconnect and re-activate with a new list.

11 of 23 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 3:32:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mamoore267 wrote:

My current MicroCell was activated at the store and being as the account is in my name, my cell phone number was automatically added. I added the rest of the family's cell phones when I got home (we have a family plan with 5 cell phones) and they all worked fine without any rebooting. I've since added 4 more AT&T 3G phones for extended family members (one iPhone 3GS, one iPhone 4, and another unknown one) and they all work just fine with no rebooting. Typical AT&T.

mamoore267 wrote:

My current MicroCell was activated at the store and being as the account is in my name, my cell phone number was automatically added. I added the rest of the family's cell phones when I got home (we have a family plan with 5 cell phones) and they all worked fine without any rebooting. I've since added 4 more AT&T 3G phones for extended family members (one iPhone 3GS, one iPhone 4, and another unknown one) and they all work just fine with no rebooting. Typical AT&T.

12 of 23 (1,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 1:22:12 AM
(0)
Employee
there is an issue right now where newly added numbers are being processed. call at&t then can manually add it and it goes right through
there is an issue right now where newly added numbers are being processed. call at&t then can manually add it and it goes right through
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

13 of 23 (1,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 2:12:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

The last thing I want to do is spend 30 minutes on the phone trying to get someone who understands what I want to do and can actually do it without messing it up (which is usually a 50-50 proposition).  I can't tell you the number of times I've had to call back on provisioning issues only to find out the last person didn't do it right.  

I'd much rather do it myself on the website.  But it doesn't work, at least for me.  

Reactivating the MicroCell works.  

The last thing I want to do is spend 30 minutes on the phone trying to get someone who understands what I want to do and can actually do it without messing it up (which is usually a 50-50 proposition).  I can't tell you the number of times I've had to call back on provisioning issues only to find out the last person didn't do it right.  

I'd much rather do it myself on the website.  But it doesn't work, at least for me.  

Reactivating the MicroCell works.  

14 of 23 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 3:56:50 AM
(0)
Employee
it doesn't work for anyone adding new lines and it seriously takes me 10 seconds to add a line for you. its the easiest thing they could do for you.
it doesn't work for anyone adding new lines and it seriously takes me 10 seconds to add a line for you. its the easiest thing they could do for you.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

15 of 23 (1,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 2:23:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

JFizDaWiz wrote:

OK so give me your direct phone number!  I'm sure you can do it in 10 seconds, but it's the 30 minutes it takes to get through the maze to get to someone who claims they can do it, then screws it up, then I have to call back again to find someone competent.  Plus I get asked for my account information at least 3 times -- once by the computer, once by level 1, and again by tech support.  Really annoying.  

JFizDaWiz wrote:

OK so give me your direct phone number!  I'm sure you can do it in 10 seconds, but it's the 30 minutes it takes to get through the maze to get to someone who claims they can do it, then screws it up, then I have to call back again to find someone competent.  Plus I get asked for my account information at least 3 times -- once by the computer, once by level 1, and again by tech support.  Really annoying.  

16 of 23 (1,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2011 3:50:52 AM
(0)
Employee
when you call 611 and choose the option for microcell it routes you directly to technical support.
when you call 611 and choose the option for microcell it routes you directly to technical support.

17 of 23 (1,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2011 9:49:00 AM
(0)
Guru

Those are the same folks that, last time I called to report problems, told me that the Microcell would either work or it wouldn't, and if it didn't work for me, I should just sell it on eBay.

Those are the same folks that, last time I called to report problems, told me that the Microcell would either work or it wouldn't, and if it didn't work for me, I should just sell it on eBay.

18 of 23 (1,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2011 11:39:18 AM
(0)
Professor

MyDogHasFleas wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Well, I made the call and my daughters phone now connects to the Microcell. JFizDaWiz was right, the tech could see the number added on the fron tend, but not the back end. It was a simple fix, however, you where more right than him. It should read, three reps and 45 minutes later it finally got done!!

MyDogHasFleas wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Well, I made the call and my daughters phone now connects to the Microcell. JFizDaWiz was right, the tech could see the number added on the fron tend, but not the back end. It was a simple fix, however, you where more right than him. It should read, three reps and 45 minutes later it finally got done!!

19 of 23 (1,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 2:18:02 PM
(0)
Employee
if you reached customer care first you didn't use press the microcell options in the IVR.
if you reached customer care first you didn't use press the microcell options in the IVR.

20 of 23 (1,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 2:34:33 PM
(0)
Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Honestly, the first rep wasn't. I normally hear the option for the Microcell support, but for some reason I didn't get the option. When the rep came on the line, I asked to be transferred to Microcell support. The young lady I got seemed to have no clue as what to do. She refused to transfer me to someone else until we went through the usual song and dance of pulling the battery from the phone and such. I tried to to explain to her that it was a problem with the line not having permissions and finally convinced her to switch me back to the main line. That time I did get the option for the Microcell and the gentleman that answered was a whiz. He already knew what to do by contacting someone on the back end, as he put it. He did mention that if that had not worked, he would have had me reactivate the Microcell.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Honestly, the first rep wasn't. I normally hear the option for the Microcell support, but for some reason I didn't get the option. When the rep came on the line, I asked to be transferred to Microcell support. The young lady I got seemed to have no clue as what to do. She refused to transfer me to someone else until we went through the usual song and dance of pulling the battery from the phone and such. I tried to to explain to her that it was a problem with the line not having permissions and finally convinced her to switch me back to the main line. That time I did get the option for the Microcell and the gentleman that answered was a whiz. He already knew what to do by contacting someone on the back end, as he put it. He did mention that if that had not worked, he would have had me reactivate the Microcell.

21 of 23 (1,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 8:24:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was just on the phone with AT&T for an hour.  The final solution was to simply remove my sim card and put it back in the phone.  You do this by putting a paper clip into the little hole to eject the tray.

I was just on the phone with AT&T for an hour.  The final solution was to simply remove my sim card and put it back in the phone.  You do this by putting a paper clip into the little hole to eject the tray.

22 of 23 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2011 11:24:07 AM
(0)
Guru

Yeah, I've experienced both that problem and that solution before. I had the Microcell for a while and added a new line to our account in the form of an iPhone 3GS. It wouldn't find the Microcell until I popped the SIM out for a second and reinserted it.

It's the first thing I try now for that problem.

Yeah, I've experienced both that problem and that solution before. I had the Microcell for a while and added a new line to our account in the form of an iPhone 3GS. It wouldn't find the Microcell until I popped the SIM out for a second and reinserted it.

It's the first thing I try now for that problem.

23 of 23 (1,181 Views)