Can't connect iPhone to Belkin Wireless N Router with security enabled

Contributor

Can't connect iPhone to Belkin Wireless N Router with security enabled

Here's the breakdown:

Belkin N Wireless Router F5D8236-4 v3

Wireless Settings on N/G/B, channel 6 (tried every channel, and tried only G enabled), extended channel 2

Security on WPA/WPA2-Personal (PSK) (TKIP + AES)  (I've also tried WPA, WPA2, WEP128, WEP64)

SSID viewable

iPhone 3GS

On my iPhone I can see the network id, but when I enter the security password it says invalid password.  Same thing happens to my wife's iPhone, however not to our friends 3GS, he can connect to the network fine (he got his phone a few months before we did if that matters).  If I disable security on the wireless router all three iPhones connect fine.  But with security enabled (and I've tried each security option), the two iPhone's can't connect.

We have another wireless access point in another part of the house that is a Netgear WGR614 v6 (G/B) with security enabled and we can connect to that wifi no problem.  With the Belkin router I have tried rebooting, resetting the hardware settings, every wireless channel, every wireless security method, and different security passwords with no luck.

Message 1 of 12
Contributor

Re: Can't connect iPhone to Belkin Wireless N Router with security enabled

Ok I just posted this, and decided to reset my network settings on my iPhone again, and it now connects to the wireless router.  However I did the same thing with my wife's iPhone and it didn't work for her.
Message 2 of 12
Contributor

You are super lucky that your router has B/G/N capability. I just called apple, and the iphone cannot connect to routers that only support the 802.11N setting. I have to buy a new router, wow!

Message 3 of 12
Guru

I have a N router and the iphone connects, I did notice that it doesn't take passphases, but it must enter the code that the passphase generate, so if you check on the network wi-fi security setup under your passphrase there should be the actual nubmers/letters that you can input into the iPhone and it works.  make sure the router is set to use automatic settings and you'll fine. My N router allows me to roam all over the house even to the basement (the router is on 2nd floor) and still have strong wi-fi signal.

Message 4 of 12
Master

slipperdonovan wrote:

You are super lucky that your router has B/G/N capability. I just called apple, and the iphone cannot connect to routers that only support the 802.11N setting. I have to buy a new router, wow!

That is not correct, unless you have an iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS as those do not support wireless-N.  The iPhone 4 does.

However just about every wireless-N router made is backwards compatible and supports B and G unless you have it disabled in the router.  So your iPhone, 3G and 3GS works fine with nearly every wireless-N router made.

There were a few routers that had chipsets that caused issues with iPhones connecting to them.

Message 5 of 12
Professor

It's better to connect it to G actually. If you have 90% G devices at home and your neighbors' houses, the i4 is better off on G instead of N.

The N chip in the i4 is 2.4Ghz and would drive your router bonkers as it's beating on G and N at 2.4Ghz whereas the clear signal is 5Ghz.

Message 6 of 12
Contributor

I had the same problem with my iPhone 3GS. All I did to solive this is to go into my router and select Wireless 802.11 G (only) mode. By default it's set to B/G/N with auto detection.  Everything seems to be working fine now. Good luck.

Message 7 of 12
Contributor

I have had this same problem... It kept telling me that the password was incorrect... I've found out with the iPhones you have to use the wireless network key instead of te system password... I found mine on the router... I beleive you can also access this number from your Internet settings on your computer
Message 8 of 12
Professor

tanyaleigh20 wrote:
I have had this same problem... It kept telling me that the password was incorrect... I've found out with the iPhones you have to use the wireless network key instead of te system password.

That is what every Wi-Fi connection asks for.  They never ask for the router password, but rather the network password.

The two could possibly be the same, but that would just be bad security.

Why would you want to give out the password to the router (the one used to access the settings on the device) in order for users to connect to the network?  That is just silly.

Message 9 of 12
Contributor

had this same problem with a belkin n router and three iphone 3gs in my house... I finally took the dashes out of the SSID name on the network and changed the channel to something different than what it was on... and it seemed to do the trick! I didn't have this issue on my Linksys G router... but all is good now... good luck y'alls...

Message 10 of 12
Scholar

I have the linksys n router and have never had any issues at all. been lucky i guess.

Message 11 of 12
Contributor

This worked for me, Thanks!!
Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support