Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 22, 2011
6:57:55 AM
View profile
Can't Say I'm Impressed WIth The Microcell

Well I certainly have a love/hate relationship with this device so far.

The LOVE part is simple...when it works, it provides a cell phone signal in my house which get very poor AT&T reception and from what I've been told by AT&T, I can expect to continue for another year until they build some more cell towers in my area.

The HATE part...

1. Outgoing calls can take 20-30 seconds to connect, sometimes failing on the first attempt. I'm worried about an emergency situation and trying to make a call.

2. Every morning it's reverted back to my local AT&T cell and it's poor service. The best option I've found so far is to turn airplane mode on and off on our iphones, which will usually then pick up the Microcell. Sometimes returning to the house will keep the phone on AT&T and require using airplane mode. YOu have to constantly check the phone to make sure it's using the Microcell...otherwise a call comes in, not on the Microcell and invariably gets dropped, if it comes in at all.

3. Visual voice mail calls often don't show up for a couple of hours.

4. I had to pay $199 in order to get decent AT&T service in this new house.

For $199 I certainly would expect this product to work better than it does. It will be hard to decide whether or not to return it before the end of the 30 days, since without it, I have almost no cell phone service unless I'm sitting out on the back porch.

The LOVE part is simple...when it works, it provides a cell phone signal in my house which get very poor AT&T reception and from what I've been told by AT&T, I can expect to continue for another year until they build some more cell towers in my area.

The HATE part...

1. Outgoing calls can take 20-30 seconds to connect, sometimes failing on the first attempt. I'm worried about an emergency situation and trying to make a call.

2. Every morning it's reverted back to my local AT&T cell and it's poor service. The best option I've found so far is to turn airplane mode on and off on our iphones, which will usually then pick up the Microcell. Sometimes returning to the house will keep the phone on AT&T and require using airplane mode. YOu have to constantly check the phone to make sure it's using the Microcell...otherwise a call comes in, not on the Microcell and invariably gets dropped, if it comes in at all.

For $199 I certainly would expect this product to work better than it does. It will be hard to decide whether or not to return it before the end of the 30 days, since without it, I have almost no cell phone service unless I'm sitting out on the back porch.

Can't Say I'm Impressed WIth The Microcell

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 9:42:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

wvayens wrote:

The HATE part...

You're not alone so take solace in that. We are one of the few who have very few problems with the MicroCell using a mix of cell phones ("regular" 3G phones, iPhone 3GSs, etc). That wasn't always the case tho. I lost service altogether for about 2 weeks back in March because of an upgrade to the MicroCell system. However I had to go thru some router configurations to get the thing to work reliably and consistently. Fortunately our ISP rolled my basic AT&T landline into my internet service for a killer price so we at least have good old reliable Ma Bell copper for emergency and most of our in-house calls. The kids use their cells exculsively and no one has ever complained of the issues reported here. I consider ourselves very lucky.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

wvayens wrote:

The HATE part...

You're not alone so take solace in that. We are one of the few who have very few problems with the MicroCell using a mix of cell phones ("regular" 3G phones, iPhone 3GSs, etc). That wasn't always the case tho. I lost service altogether for about 2 weeks back in March because of an upgrade to the MicroCell system. However I had to go thru some router configurations to get the thing to work reliably and consistently. Fortunately our ISP rolled my basic AT&T landline into my internet service for a killer price so we at least have good old reliable Ma Bell copper for emergency and most of our in-house calls. The kids use their cells exculsively and no one has ever complained of the issues reported here. I consider ourselves very lucky.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can't Say I'm Impressed WIth The Microcell

2 of 3 (349 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 6:07:28 PM
(0)
Guru
You forgot #5 on the hate list: the complete and total lack of regard or even basic empathy AT&T has for their customers. They clearly don't care at all whether the device - or even their service generally - works or not.
You forgot #5 on the hate list: the complete and total lack of regard or even basic empathy AT&T has for their customers. They clearly don't care at all whether the device - or even their service generally - works or not.

Re: Can't Say I'm Impressed WIth The Microcell

3 of 3 (282 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments