Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 16, 2011
10:50:24 PM
Can receive calls on go phone made from some networks, but not others. Bizarre.

Hello:

I just recently purchased a ZTE made ATT branded R225 go phone at Walmart yesterday and a refill card.  I successfully activated the phone and was given a phone number.  Phone was then shut off for more than 10 minutes per onscreen instructions then turned back on to complete activation.  I then used the phone to add the value of the refill card to my account.  This went successfully.  I am able to see my account balance.  

I then tested the phone out and called a few numbers on different networks.  So far so good.  I then tried calling the go phone from several different mobile and VOIP services with mixed results.

When calling ATT go phone from Virgin Mobile (Sprint CDMA Pre-paid,) a "This number is not available" message.

When calling ATT go phone from Boost Mobile (Sprint iDEN Pre-paid,) the call goes through successfully

When calling ATT go phone from T-Mobile (GSM) pre-paid, the call goes through successfully

When calling ATT go phone from Verizon Wireless (CDMA) pre-paid, the call goes through successfully

When calling ATT go phone from CricKet (CDMA,) a "CricKet number is not in service" message is played.

When calling from Ooma VOIP, I get a busy signal.

When calling from Net Talk VOIP, I get a busy signal

When calling from Magic Jack VOIP, numbers dial, then I get a dial tone, no indication of phone ringing.

When calling from Skype, call goes through successfully.

I have not yet tried an ATT land line or ATT wireless phone to call the go phone. 

Why in the world are the results so inconsistent between networks?.  This is too weird.

Thanks in advance

Hello:

I just recently purchased a ZTE made ATT branded R225 go phone at Walmart yesterday and a refill card.  I successfully activated the phone and was given a phone number.  Phone was then shut off for more than 10 minutes per onscreen instructions then turned back on to complete activation.  I then used the phone to add the value of the refill card to my account.  This went successfully.  I am able to see my account balance.  

I then tested the phone out and called a few numbers on different networks.  So far so good.  I then tried calling the go phone from several different mobile and VOIP services with mixed results.

When calling ATT go phone from Virgin Mobile (Sprint CDMA Pre-paid,) a "This number is not available" message.

When calling ATT go phone from Boost Mobile (Sprint iDEN Pre-paid,) the call goes through successfully

When calling ATT go phone from T-Mobile (GSM) pre-paid, the call goes through successfully

When calling ATT go phone from Verizon Wireless (CDMA) pre-paid, the call goes through successfully

When calling ATT go phone from CricKet (CDMA,) a "CricKet number is not in service" message is played.

When calling from Ooma VOIP, I get a busy signal.

When calling from Net Talk VOIP, I get a busy signal

When calling from Magic Jack VOIP, numbers dial, then I get a dial tone, no indication of phone ringing.

When calling from Skype, call goes through successfully.

I have not yet tried an ATT land line or ATT wireless phone to call the go phone. 

Why in the world are the results so inconsistent between networks?.  This is too weird.

Thanks in advance

Can receive calls on go phone made from some networks, but not others. Bizarre.

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:38:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Are all of the phone numbers from different networks in service and have the option to dial/receive phone calls? Particularly the Virgin Mobile and Cricket ones?

When my account balance goes down to $0.00 but I still have my messaging package, when people try to call my phone number, they get the "this number is not available" prompt. Maybe the Virgin Mobile account has no existing funds?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Are all of the phone numbers from different networks in service and have the option to dial/receive phone calls? Particularly the Virgin Mobile and Cricket ones?

When my account balance goes down to $0.00 but I still have my messaging package, when people try to call my phone number, they get the "this number is not available" prompt. Maybe the Virgin Mobile account has no existing funds?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can receive calls on go phone made from some networks, but not others. Bizarre.

2 of 15 (1,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 9:05:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by sheikh_yerbouti on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:07:37 AM

All of the phones on the non-ATT networks are active, have positive account balances, can make and can receive calls.  The ATT phone also has a positive account balance.  I'm not sure where to check for the ability to receive calls on the ATT phone, but I suspect that since I can receive calls from some networks, that this function is enabled.

I tried associating the Pay Go phone with a Google Voice account.  Google Voice tries to dial the number you want to associate first to get you to punch in a verification code on the phone being added.  Google Voice was also unable to complete the call to the Pay Go phone.

On a different Pay Go phone (Nokia 2320c-2b,) I didn't use AT&T directly, but put in an H2O Wireless (MVNO of AT&T) SIM card and I was able to make/receive calls on this phone without unlocking the phone itself.  I'm trying to get this SIM card reactivated and will try it in the ZTE phone that I'm currently having difficulty with.

All of the phones on the non-ATT networks are active, have positive account balances, can make and can receive calls.  The ATT phone also has a positive account balance.  I'm not sure where to check for the ability to receive calls on the ATT phone, but I suspect that since I can receive calls from some networks, that this function is enabled.

I tried associating the Pay Go phone with a Google Voice account.  Google Voice tries to dial the number you want to associate first to get you to punch in a verification code on the phone being added.  Google Voice was also unable to complete the call to the Pay Go phone.

On a different Pay Go phone (Nokia 2320c-2b,) I didn't use AT&T directly, but put in an H2O Wireless (MVNO of AT&T) SIM card and I was able to make/receive calls on this phone without unlocking the phone itself.  I'm trying to get this SIM card reactivated and will try it in the ZTE phone that I'm currently having difficulty with.

Re: Can receive calls on go phone made from some networks, but not others. Bizarre.

[ Edited ]
3 of 15 (1,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 12:14:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

sheikh_yerbouti wrote:

Hmmm. I wonder why the Virgin Mobile and Cricket networks are still not working. Huh. I don't know what could be wrong.

Good luck with the ZTE phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

sheikh_yerbouti wrote:

Hmmm. I wonder why the Virgin Mobile and Cricket networks are still not working. Huh. I don't know what could be wrong.

Good luck with the ZTE phone.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 15 (1,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 10:35:02 AM
(0)
Professor

sheikh_yerbouti,

After 24 hrs from the time the ZTE phone was activated, make calls again with the two you're having problem with.

sheikh_yerbouti,

After 24 hrs from the time the ZTE phone was activated, make calls again with the two you're having problem with.

5 of 15 (1,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 9:59:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I can receive calls from Virgin Mobile and CricKet Wireless phones now.  

Certain VOIP providers still cannot get through - Magic Jack, Ooma, and Net Talk all have problems getting through - each with different symptoms.

Magic Jack dials the numbers, then seems to give up with only a dial tone.  No indication of phone ring on the Magic Jack side and no phone ring on the ATT Go Phone side.

Net Talk gives a message saying "the number you have dialed is currently unavailable," then plays a line busy tone

Ooma justs gives the line busy signal.  No message or indication of a ring..

Certain VOIP providers still cannot get through - Magic Jack, Ooma, and Net Talk all have problems getting through - each with different symptoms.

Magic Jack dials the numbers, then seems to give up with only a dial tone.  No indication of phone ring on the Magic Jack side and no phone ring on the ATT Go Phone side.

Net Talk gives a message saying "the number you have dialed is currently unavailable," then plays a line busy tone

6 of 15 (1,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2011 7:35:47 AM
(0)
Guru

I had a similar issue when I was with Boost Mobile, if I recall within a week upon activating the phone. I'm not sure if the several soft resets I tried worked but eventually it did work itself out.

I had a similar issue when I was with Boost Mobile, if I recall within a week upon activating the phone. I'm not sure if the several soft resets I tried worked but eventually it did work itself out.

7 of 15 (1,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2011 9:24:02 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:26:10 AM

sheikh_yerbouti wrote:

Pretty intersting set of tests, sheikh_yerbouti.  Kudos.

It appears (to me) that there is a provisioning problem at the VoIP-GoPhone gateways between three of your VoIP choices  -- other than Skype (which works from day one).

That is, neither {Magic Jack, Ooma, Net Talk} know Where? and How? to route to your GoPhone -- no database entry.

It appears that it is not a problem with your GoPhone or with the GoPhone network, as you have allowed enough time for the provisioning to be completed properly.

QUESTION:

Have you tried calling out to the VoIP phones from your GoPhone?  That will test the gateway provisioning on the reverse direction, assuming that incomiing and outgoing call paths use the one and same gateway.

I have never seen anyone have so many options to test interoperability among carriers. Wow!

sheikh_yerbouti wrote:

Pretty intersting set of tests, sheikh_yerbouti.  Kudos.

It appears (to me) that there is a provisioning problem at the VoIP-GoPhone gateways between three of your VoIP choices  -- other than Skype (which works from day one).

That is, neither {Magic Jack, Ooma, Net Talk} know Where? and How? to route to your GoPhone -- no database entry.

It appears that it is not a problem with your GoPhone or with the GoPhone network, as you have allowed enough time for the provisioning to be completed properly.

QUESTION:

Have you tried calling out to the VoIP phones from your GoPhone?  That will test the gateway provisioning on the reverse direction, assuming that incomiing and outgoing call paths use the one and same gateway.

I have never seen anyone have so many options to test interoperability among carriers. Wow!

[ Edited ]
8 of 15 (1,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2011 7:43:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

If I recall,  I believe I can call out to Magic Jack, Ooma, and Net Talk from the Go Phone activated on AT&T successfully.  I think I'll double check to make sure, but I think I could do that from day one.

Another weird wrinkle to this is that I have another Go Phone, a Nokia mentioned above.  I swapped out its AT&T SIM card with an H2O Wireless SIM card and activated H2O Wireless service.  From what I understand, H2O Wireless is an MVNO of AT&T.  I have had none of the call completion problems previously mentioned with any of the VOIP or mobile providers mentioned above.

Most of my options come from accumulating stuff over a period of time.  I'm a bit of a pack rat with my electronic devices.  I guess I got a bit carried away (and curious) when I noticed that I had problems with one service, then another, then another, then something works, then another service doesn't etc. :-)

If I recall,  I believe I can call out to Magic Jack, Ooma, and Net Talk from the Go Phone activated on AT&T successfully.  I think I'll double check to make sure, but I think I could do that from day one.

Another weird wrinkle to this is that I have another Go Phone, a Nokia mentioned above.  I swapped out its AT&T SIM card with an H2O Wireless SIM card and activated H2O Wireless service.  From what I understand, H2O Wireless is an MVNO of AT&T.  I have had none of the call completion problems previously mentioned with any of the VOIP or mobile providers mentioned above.

Most of my options come from accumulating stuff over a period of time.  I'm a bit of a pack rat with my electronic devices.  I guess I got a bit carried away (and curious) when I noticed that I had problems with one service, then another, then another, then something works, then another service doesn't etc. :-)

9 of 15 (1,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2011 11:23:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:25:02 AM

sheikh_yerbouti wrote:

Yes, it may be weird, but not shocking.  It only says that the GoPhone network cannot be assumed to be an exact overlay of AT&T's postpaid network.

This can be inferred by the different provisoning tools, different voicemail system, and the completely different GSM escape codes used by the GoPhones.

I think you need to query customer service on one of the three VoIP networks (whichever is friendlier to customer support -- dealer's choice).  The solution to one may be the solution to all three.

Please add to your post whenever you find the root cause.  I find your post pretty interesting and educational, sheikh_yerbouti.  Thanks.

sheikh_yerbouti wrote:

Yes, it may be weird, but not shocking.  It only says that the GoPhone network cannot be assumed to be an exact overlay of AT&T's postpaid network.

This can be inferred by the different provisoning tools, different voicemail system, and the completely different GSM escape codes used by the GoPhones.

I think you need to query customer service on one of the three VoIP networks (whichever is friendlier to customer support -- dealer's choice).  The solution to one may be the solution to all three.

Please add to your post whenever you find the root cause.  I find your post pretty interesting and educational, sheikh_yerbouti.  Thanks.

[ Edited ]
10 of 15 (1,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 12:17:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'll start with support calls and chats into the VOIP providers.  I suspect 1st level support will blame AT&T, but I'll go through the motions to be sure.

There are some interesting threads over at the Broadband Reports fora regarding Magic Jack's inability or unwillingness to complete calls to some rural numbers due to high terminating carrier fees.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26041572-Not-Able-to-Call-Montana

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-can-t-call-local-ISP-area-code

I'm wondering if there's some sort of terminating carrier issue.  Maybe the VOIP providers believe this number belongs to an independent carrier that does, or at one time charged a high call terminating fee.  Maybe the number I have on the Go Phone was ported from an independent carrier at some point in its history.  Google Voice, though, is able to determine that the number currently belongs to AT&T, even though it cannot complete the call.  Plus, Houston and Houston metropolitan areas aren't exactly rural.

hmmm... this may prove to be an interesting journey into how calls are routed from cell, to land, to voip, to one carrier, to another, and back and all of the crazy agreements that go along with the mess. 

I'll start with support calls and chats into the VOIP providers.  I suspect 1st level support will blame AT&T, but I'll go through the motions to be sure.

There are some interesting threads over at the Broadband Reports fora regarding Magic Jack's inability or unwillingness to complete calls to some rural numbers due to high terminating carrier fees.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26041572-Not-Able-to-Call-Montana

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-can-t-call-local-ISP-area-code

I'm wondering if there's some sort of terminating carrier issue.  Maybe the VOIP providers believe this number belongs to an independent carrier that does, or at one time charged a high call terminating fee.  Maybe the number I have on the Go Phone was ported from an independent carrier at some point in its history.  Google Voice, though, is able to determine that the number currently belongs to AT&T, even though it cannot complete the call.  Plus, Houston and Houston metropolitan areas aren't exactly rural.

hmmm... this may prove to be an interesting journey into how calls are routed from cell, to land, to voip, to one carrier, to another, and back and all of the crazy agreements that go along with the mess. 

11 of 15 (1,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 12:33:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

Have no clue on how that handoff works,  Keep us posted.  Thanks!

Have no clue on how that handoff works,  Keep us posted.  Thanks!

12 of 15 (1,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 1:42:54 PM
(0)
Professor
On the phones giving you busy signals, if they were truly busy signals, you could try dialing at other times.

On the phones giving you busy signals, if they were truly busy signals, you could try dialing at other times.

13 of 15 (1,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 8:45:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

I get what sounds like a line busy signal.  If it is a busy signal, it's a false indicator.  I have the ATT go phone in my hands and I'm trying to call it from the VOIP lines.  The go phone is clearly not busy.  I have tried on multiple occasions over the past week with the same result.

I get what sounds like a line busy signal.  If it is a busy signal, it's a false indicator.  I have the ATT go phone in my hands and I'm trying to call it from the VOIP lines.  The go phone is clearly not busy.  I have tried on multiple occasions over the past week with the same result.

14 of 15 (1,157 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 9:18:01 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 25, 2011 at 9:23:51 PM

If it's not the GoPhone that's busy, it could be a trunk busy situation that can happen if there's not enough trunk lines. Trunk busy is indicated by a fast busy tone that is faster than a phone busy tone. Knowing this may help you track down the issue when you talk to the VOIP customer service.

If it's not the GoPhone that's busy, it could be a trunk busy situation that can happen if there's not enough trunk lines. Trunk busy is indicated by a fast busy tone that is faster than a phone busy tone. Knowing this may help you track down the issue when you talk to the VOIP customer service.

[ Edited ]
15 of 15 (1,152 Views)