Wireless Forums

Posted Jun 20, 2010
11:40:18 AM
View profile
Can i use data block to get out of paying for a data plan?

no one on my plan needs/wants a data plan.  You don't need it to download widgets, or use the gps (yes i know you lose the fast locking agps), and they give these phones wifi for a reason.

i know if you bring in an out of network or unsubsidized phone (legend, NexusOne) you can call ATT and use the data block feature to get out of getting smacked with a data plan.  What about an Aria or other smartphone device that att has closer ties with?

i'd even consider paying the unsubsidized price on the phone to get this benefit.

i really don't see how its legal for them (or any of the other carriers) to forcefully charge me for a service i have no desire to use.

no one on my plan needs/wants a data plan.  You don't need it to download widgets, or use the gps (yes i know you lose the fast locking agps), and they give these phones wifi for a reason.

i know if you bring in an out of network or unsubsidized phone (legend, NexusOne) you can call ATT and use the data block feature to get out of getting smacked with a data plan.  What about an Aria or other smartphone device that att has closer ties with?

i'd even consider paying the unsubsidized price on the phone to get this benefit.

i really don't see how its legal for them (or any of the other carriers) to forcefully charge me for a service i have no desire to use.

Can i use data block to get out of paying for a data plan?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 12:43:21 PM
(0)
Expert

ryan92084 wrote:

No one on my plan needs/wants a data plan.  You don't need it to download widgets, or use the gps (yes i know you lose the fast locking agps), and they give these phones wifi for a reason.

I know if you bring in an out of network or unsubsidized phone (legend, NexusOne) you can call ATT and use the data block feature to get out of getting smacked with a data plan.  What about an Aria or other smartphone device that att has closer ties with?

I'd even consider paying the unsubsidized price on the phone to get this benefit.

I really don't see how its legal for them (or any of the other carriers) to forcefully charge me for a service i have no desire to use.

Unfortunately no matter where the device comes from if they see it as a smartphone it has to have the data plan, if not added the system will catch it and add it unfortunately.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

ryan92084 wrote:

No one on my plan needs/wants a data plan.  You don't need it to download widgets, or use the gps (yes i know you lose the fast locking agps), and they give these phones wifi for a reason.

I know if you bring in an out of network or unsubsidized phone (legend, NexusOne) you can call ATT and use the data block feature to get out of getting smacked with a data plan.  What about an Aria or other smartphone device that att has closer ties with?

I'd even consider paying the unsubsidized price on the phone to get this benefit.

I really don't see how its legal for them (or any of the other carriers) to forcefully charge me for a service i have no desire to use.

Unfortunately no matter where the device comes from if they see it as a smartphone it has to have the data plan, if not added the system will catch it and add it unfortunately.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

Re: Can i use data block to get out of paying for a data plan?

2 of 18 (8,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 3:31:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by ryan92084 on Jun 20, 2010 at 4:21:56 PM

wilcre wrote:

as i said i already know this not to be the case with the NexusOne as long as you apply the data block.

and really if you aren't using the data and ATT isn't contributing to the cost of the phone how do they justify this practise?  Smartphones don't use voice or text any differently than a dumb/feature phone.

heck at this point i buy the aria at the no commitment price (something i've already considered) and since i don't care about 3g jump ship to t-mobile.  i'd get what i want(not paying for data) and att would lose a customer.   how exactly is that smart on att's part?

wilcre wrote:

as i said i already know this not to be the case with the NexusOne as long as you apply the data block.

and really if you aren't using the data and ATT isn't contributing to the cost of the phone how do they justify this practise?  Smartphones don't use voice or text any differently than a dumb/feature phone.

heck at this point i buy the aria at the no commitment price (something i've already considered) and since i don't care about 3g jump ship to t-mobile.  i'd get what i want(not paying for data) and att would lose a customer.   how exactly is that smart on att's part?

[ Edited ]
3 of 18 (8,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 6:59:40 PM
(0)
Professor

Regardless of whether you consider it smart or not, AT&T requires all smartphones on their network to have a data plan.  This is part of the terms and conditions you agreed to for using their service.

Effective September 2009, all smartphones on AT&T's network require a data plan.  The only exception is for customers that had a smartphone on the network prior to the change in TOS and did not have a data plan.

How you purchase the device or how much you pay for it has NO bearing on the data plan requirement.

Regardless of whether you consider it smart or not, AT&T requires all smartphones on their network to have a data plan.  This is part of the terms and conditions you agreed to for using their service.

Effective September 2009, all smartphones on AT&T's network require a data plan.  The only exception is for customers that had a smartphone on the network prior to the change in TOS and did not have a data plan.

How you purchase the device or how much you pay for it has NO bearing on the data plan requirement.

4 of 18 (8,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 10:07:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

as i said this has already proven not true with the nexusone. 

5 of 18 (8,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 11:29:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

ryan92084 wrote:

That is because of an error in the system that does not show the IMEI on the N1 as a smartphone. If your IMEI comes up as a smartphone you are stuck. And if they finally get the glitch fixed then it will also change for all the N1 users that do not have a data plan as well or are on a non smartphone data plan.

ryan92084 wrote:

That is because of an error in the system that does not show the IMEI on the N1 as a smartphone. If your IMEI comes up as a smartphone you are stuck. And if they finally get the glitch fixed then it will also change for all the N1 users that do not have a data plan as well or are on a non smartphone data plan.

6 of 18 (8,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 11:57:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by ryan92084 on Jun 21, 2010 at 12:05:09 PM

another possible avenue

i have an old family plan (and therefore the old rules?) that actually already has a "smartphone" on it with no data.  so shouldn't swapping sims just keep the status quo.

this policy still comes across as illogical and unjustifiable to me and i know i'm not the only one.  I understand requiring data on phones that ATT subsidzed for you so they get a return on their investment.  I can even understand (to a lesser extent) requiring data so you don't have customers wracking up a $200 data bill and complaining.  However, if i have an unsubsidised phone and a data block how it's just greedy.

just because i have a tv capaple of receiving 1080p doesn't mean my cable company forces me into springing for the HD channels le sigh.

another possible avenue

i have an old family plan (and therefore the old rules?) that actually already has a "smartphone" on it with no data.  so shouldn't swapping sims just keep the status quo.

this policy still comes across as illogical and unjustifiable to me and i know i'm not the only one.  I understand requiring data on phones that ATT subsidzed for you so they get a return on their investment.  I can even understand (to a lesser extent) requiring data so you don't have customers wracking up a $200 data bill and complaining.  However, if i have an unsubsidised phone and a data block how it's just greedy.

just because i have a tv capaple of receiving 1080p doesn't mean my cable company forces me into springing for the HD channels le sigh.

[ Edited ]
7 of 18 (8,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 12:01:36 PM
(0)
Expert

ryan92084 wrote:

another possible avenue

I have an old family plan (and therefore the old rules?) that actually already has a "smartphone" on it with no data.  so shouldn't swapping sims just keep the status quo.

This policy still comes across as illogical and unjustifiable to me and i know i'm not the only one. 

The status Quo is only for insurance and or warranty replacment phones, swapping phons's on your own is a change and requires proper action, as for the N1, ATTM has the IMEI ranges on file to identify the phone......

Knight Rider Rules.gif

ryan92084 wrote:

another possible avenue

I have an old family plan (and therefore the old rules?) that actually already has a "smartphone" on it with no data.  so shouldn't swapping sims just keep the status quo.

This policy still comes across as illogical and unjustifiable to me and i know i'm not the only one. 

The status Quo is only for insurance and or warranty replacment phones, swapping phons's on your own is a change and requires proper action, as for the N1, ATTM has the IMEI ranges on file to identify the phone......

Knight Rider Rules.gif

8 of 18 (8,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 12:09:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by ryan92084 on Jun 21, 2010 at 12:23:08 PM

wilcre wrote:

poor phrase choice on my part.  what i meant by "status quo" was keeping my plan the same as it currently is without the updated data rules.

and i know ATT has the IMEI ranges for the N1 and i also know you can data block the phone and they'll remove the data plan from it (even after they catch you) but no one can tell me why it only works for that phone.

this is the first time i've considered leaving since i joined... which was just shy of 7 years ago and when they truly were ATT wireless

wilcre wrote:

poor phrase choice on my part.  what i meant by "status quo" was keeping my plan the same as it currently is without the updated data rules.

and i know ATT has the IMEI ranges for the N1 and i also know you can data block the phone and they'll remove the data plan from it (even after they catch you) but no one can tell me why it only works for that phone.

this is the first time i've considered leaving since i joined... which was just shy of 7 years ago and when they truly were ATT wireless

[ Edited ]
9 of 18 (8,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 5:50:18 PM
(0)
Master

All carriers mandate data plans for Smartphones now. So, good luck with other guys.

All carriers mandate data plans for Smartphones now. So, good luck with other guys.

10 of 18 (8,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 6:32:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

if you go with the no subsidy plan from t-mobil data is not required

11 of 18 (6,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 5:52:43 AM
(0)
Professor

ryan92084 wrote:

Then you should consider switching to TMO if you want a smart phone without a data plan.

Verizon and AT&T both require data plans.  Sprint may, I don't know, but then Sprint is irrelevant in my opinion.

ryan92084 wrote:

Then you should consider switching to TMO if you want a smart phone without a data plan.

Verizon and AT&T both require data plans.  Sprint may, I don't know, but then Sprint is irrelevant in my opinion.

12 of 18 (6,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 10:08:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

i am doing exactly that but i just wanted to weigh all my options first.  i've seen conflicting reports about using the no commitment pricing and data block to get by without a data plan.  as recently as march someone says they were able to do it. 

overall its a strange policy

i am doing exactly that but i just wanted to weigh all my options first.  i've seen conflicting reports about using the no commitment pricing and data block to get by without a data plan.  as recently as march someone says they were able to do it. 

overall its a strange policy

13 of 18 (6,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 5:41:29 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Jun 22, 2010 at 5:42:41 PM

You will never get straight and definitive answers here or elsewhere. Most AT&T policies are like this way. The company is simply too big to make a coherent answer for each of its polices.

Just because someone may get away with it means very little to whether or not you will be charged for data plan.

You will never get straight and definitive answers here or elsewhere. Most AT&T policies are like this way. The company is simply too big to make a coherent answer for each of its polices.

Just because someone may get away with it means very little to whether or not you will be charged for data plan.

[ Edited ]
14 of 18 (6,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 9:42:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

Can someone verify this for me ( the change in Sept 2009 that made new smart phones require a data plan  as mentioned by satchev ) ?

Here is why I ask / my situation... two smart phones brought online late in 2008... one number with a data plan and one without...  and I never requested a change in the plan(s)...

Anyway, I was looking for a new phone ( one of the phones has an issue with the internal speaker ) and was interested in one of the Android models but the local ATT shop said they didn't have any demos... so I took on of the sdcard versions of Android and loaded it on one of my HTC Fuzes, the one with no data plan, to give it a spin and see if I liked it...

Unfortunately, one of the kids was playing with it and found the "Android Market" and hit download on some games and instead of it being blocked i.e. as one would expect with no data plan - it downloaded them to the phone i.e. 22.5 MB worth of stuff...

So that is the first issue I have... where the phone / number that I did not register for a data plan was not blocked from data access and has put me on the hook for data charges... and the service rep is telling me too bad... but I am trying to figure out if there is some sort of resolution that has worked for anyone else that has had a similar experience... especially information / help getting the second phone off of the 'per use' data plan that they put it on and that I cannot remove it from ?

The other item is the AMOUNT that I am being charged...  with the prior data plan(s) being unlimited ( for the phone that has it )... and the new ones being at a rate of $15 per 200 MB or more precisely - $0.075 per MB of data...  but I am being charged at $0.01 per KB which amounts to $225 for those downloads...

To put it in perspective, that is 15 X MORE than the amount that would be charged under the $15 per 200 MB plan on a 200 MB scale and is 133 X MORE the amount charged if under the $15 per 200 MB plan on a per MB scale !

That is a problem... because I can understand charging a premium for "pay per use" ( the entire bit about the phone being placed on "pay per use" with no blocking of data by ATT aside )... but one would expect maybe 2x or 3x for such use... not 15x ( or 133x using the per MB scale ) the amount !

So as with the earlier question...

Has anyone else been hit by similar outrageous charges if so - who did you speak with at ATT to work through a resolution... since again - the service rep I spoke with told me too bad and to put the phone on a data plan... while still being on the hook for those charges AND no explanation as to the disparity in charges AND no way to simply remove the access by the phone to data ( as originally requested / set up ) and last but not least - tied into a new contract...

Thanks in advance !

Michael

P.S. What is really sad about all of this is that I switched to AT&T a little less than 2 years ago and up until now have been a happy customer and more than glad to recommend them to friends.  After this though, especially if I cannot get it resolved, I won't be able to recommend their service in good faith and don't see any option other than look for a new provider when my current contract expires in a couple of months...

:-(

Can someone verify this for me ( the change in Sept 2009 that made new smart phones require a data plan  as mentioned by satchev ) ?

Here is why I ask / my situation... two smart phones brought online late in 2008... one number with a data plan and one without...  and I never requested a change in the plan(s)...

Anyway, I was looking for a new phone ( one of the phones has an issue with the internal speaker ) and was interested in one of the Android models but the local ATT shop said they didn't have any demos... so I took on of the sdcard versions of Android and loaded it on one of my HTC Fuzes, the one with no data plan, to give it a spin and see if I liked it...

Unfortunately, one of the kids was playing with it and found the "Android Market" and hit download on some games and instead of it being blocked i.e. as one would expect with no data plan - it downloaded them to the phone i.e. 22.5 MB worth of stuff...

So that is the first issue I have... where the phone / number that I did not register for a data plan was not blocked from data access and has put me on the hook for data charges... and the service rep is telling me too bad... but I am trying to figure out if there is some sort of resolution that has worked for anyone else that has had a similar experience... especially information / help getting the second phone off of the 'per use' data plan that they put it on and that I cannot remove it from ?

The other item is the AMOUNT that I am being charged...  with the prior data plan(s) being unlimited ( for the phone that has it )... and the new ones being at a rate of $15 per 200 MB or more precisely - $0.075 per MB of data...  but I am being charged at $0.01 per KB which amounts to $225 for those downloads...

To put it in perspective, that is 15 X MORE than the amount that would be charged under the $15 per 200 MB plan on a 200 MB scale and is 133 X MORE the amount charged if under the $15 per 200 MB plan on a per MB scale !

That is a problem... because I can understand charging a premium for "pay per use" ( the entire bit about the phone being placed on "pay per use" with no blocking of data by ATT aside )... but one would expect maybe 2x or 3x for such use... not 15x ( or 133x using the per MB scale ) the amount !

So as with the earlier question...

Has anyone else been hit by similar outrageous charges if so - who did you speak with at ATT to work through a resolution... since again - the service rep I spoke with told me too bad and to put the phone on a data plan... while still being on the hook for those charges AND no explanation as to the disparity in charges AND no way to simply remove the access by the phone to data ( as originally requested / set up ) and last but not least - tied into a new contract...

Thanks in advance !

Michael

P.S. What is really sad about all of this is that I switched to AT&T a little less than 2 years ago and up until now have been a happy customer and more than glad to recommend them to friends.  After this though, especially if I cannot get it resolved, I won't be able to recommend their service in good faith and don't see any option other than look for a new provider when my current contract expires in a couple of months...

:-(

15 of 18 (6,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 12:21:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

Actually an update to my last post and more questions...

I just checked my phone for memory usage on the downloads I mentioned... it stands at apx 4 megs plus a partial update of a program that is 7 megs total ( so the update should have been much less )... well below the 22.5 megs I see listed in my usage on the non-data phone / sim.

To add to that, for yesterday on the data enabled sim and non-data sim... the total usage is listed as 37.9 MB...  more than 30 MB larger than !!!

The problem is that the listed data use far and away exceeds what seems possible based on what appears to have been downloaded... but when I look at the usage page e.g. for the non-data phone it doesn't provide ANY detail i.e. it claims there was a single connection that sucked down 22.5 megs...

So does ANYONE know how / where to get a detailed listing from AT&T so I can see what they believe I downloaded / what accounts for the 30 MB or more of missing data... as opposed to the single "wap.cingular" listing... I mean - any decent commercial proxy keeps track of such things ?

Along the same lines... the sims for the 2 phones were switched at one point and I was wondering if anyone knows if AT&T tracks soley based on the sim code / id or is it a combinate of sim and phone id ?   I'm guessing the former but am curious if this crazy bill I am seeing is somehow due to moving sims between phones and their system fouling things up ?

Thanks in advance !

Michael

Actually an update to my last post and more questions...

I just checked my phone for memory usage on the downloads I mentioned... it stands at apx 4 megs plus a partial update of a program that is 7 megs total ( so the update should have been much less )... well below the 22.5 megs I see listed in my usage on the non-data phone / sim.

To add to that, for yesterday on the data enabled sim and non-data sim... the total usage is listed as 37.9 MB...  more than 30 MB larger than !!!

The problem is that the listed data use far and away exceeds what seems possible based on what appears to have been downloaded... but when I look at the usage page e.g. for the non-data phone it doesn't provide ANY detail i.e. it claims there was a single connection that sucked down 22.5 megs...

So does ANYONE know how / where to get a detailed listing from AT&T so I can see what they believe I downloaded / what accounts for the 30 MB or more of missing data... as opposed to the single "wap.cingular" listing... I mean - any decent commercial proxy keeps track of such things ?

Along the same lines... the sims for the 2 phones were switched at one point and I was wondering if anyone knows if AT&T tracks soley based on the sim code / id or is it a combinate of sim and phone id ?   I'm guessing the former but am curious if this crazy bill I am seeing is somehow due to moving sims between phones and their system fouling things up ?

Thanks in advance !

Michael

16 of 18 (6,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 1:08:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yet another update...

I got in touch with customer service again and spoke with another representative ( Josh ) and explained what happened / what I think happened the other day with the data use... he was NOT able to provide a detailed list of where / what the downloads were i.e. his console was showing the same that the website was with only the proxy listed...

That is the downside, not being able to figure out where the darn phone connected to that resulted in the much larger data use than I calculated after the fact...

The upside is that he did take the time to speak and listen to me and what happened... and in the end he said he could switch the plan / records with a back-date for the current cycle so that it would bill at the current ( as of July 6 2009 ) $2 per MB amount for a total extra charge of $44 this month ( instead of $230 I was originally quoted by the other rep )... or switch-over the phone over - again a back dated change - to the $15 / 200 MB month plan...

In the end, I chose the $15 / 200 MB per month so as to avoid any future surprise...

Anyway... YAY (!)... and thank you Josh for your help in this matter!

Michael

Yet another update...

I got in touch with customer service again and spoke with another representative ( Josh ) and explained what happened / what I think happened the other day with the data use... he was NOT able to provide a detailed list of where / what the downloads were i.e. his console was showing the same that the website was with only the proxy listed...

That is the downside, not being able to figure out where the darn phone connected to that resulted in the much larger data use than I calculated after the fact...

The upside is that he did take the time to speak and listen to me and what happened... and in the end he said he could switch the plan / records with a back-date for the current cycle so that it would bill at the current ( as of July 6 2009 ) $2 per MB amount for a total extra charge of $44 this month ( instead of $230 I was originally quoted by the other rep )... or switch-over the phone over - again a back dated change - to the $15 / 200 MB month plan...

In the end, I chose the $15 / 200 MB per month so as to avoid any future surprise...

Anyway... YAY (!)... and thank you Josh for your help in this matter!

Michael

17 of 18 (6,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2010 7:28:21 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Jul 25, 2010 at 7:30:44 PM

Sorry to hear your trouble with data. I can tell you that if you're not careful, the Android phones can easily access hundreds of MBs of data per day. That's not just the things you download. Most apps are pretty chatty with the internet without actually need you to initiate any download.

IMO, that's exactly why AT&T forces everyone with a smartphone to buy a data plan -- to avoid supprise data charges.

I'd suggest you put a data block on any line that does not have a data plan. Almost all phones, not just smart phones, can access internet now.

Sorry to hear your trouble with data. I can tell you that if you're not careful, the Android phones can easily access hundreds of MBs of data per day. That's not just the things you download. Most apps are pretty chatty with the internet without actually need you to initiate any download.

IMO, that's exactly why AT&T forces everyone with a smartphone to buy a data plan -- to avoid supprise data charges.

I'd suggest you put a data block on any line that does not have a data plan. Almost all phones, not just smart phones, can access internet now.

[ Edited ]
18 of 18 (6,500 Views)