Helpful Links

Can i use 2 phones with 1 SIM?

Tutor

Can i use 2 phones with 1 SIM?

I have a samsung captivate and a iPhone 4, i just bought the samsung captivate and the ATT guy at the store said that i will need a different plan even though it's the same price as the iPhones............the Iphone just has it's on plan. I told him i wanted to switch back and foruth berween the two phones he said i could do that but i will have to call ATT and get the plan for the phone i want to use but he never said what to do about the SIM.

The samsung captivate has a regular sized sim and the iPhone has a micro SIM, the samsung captivate is the active phone right now. How do i get my iPhone to work again? Just call ATT and give them the Iphones micro SIM # im not sure how it works but later on i may want to go back to the samsung, i like both phones.

Wouldn't it just be simpler to get the micro SIM active and then when i want to use the samsung just use a micro sim adapter so i can use it without calling ATT all the time? Or will that mess up things?

Message 1 of 5
Professor

Re: Can i use 2 phones with 1 SIM?

I've already used an old beater phone with my iPhone4 sim, in a sim adapter, when I was camping... needed a phone, but NOT an iPhone Smiley Wink Worked fine. There is no more "iPhone" plan, you just require a data plan of some sort.

I think your store guy was wrong.

Message 2 of 5
Tutor

so all i would need to do is get the micro sim activated to use on both phones? How do i get it activated just call ATT?

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Master

johninsj wrote:

I've already used an old beater phone with my iPhone4 sim, in a sim adapter, when I was camping... needed a phone, but NOT an iPhone Smiley Wink Worked fine. There is no more "iPhone" plan, you just require a data plan of some sort.

I think your store guy was wrong.

Well,  when my wife moved from her Blackberry Bold to my old iPhone 3G last month, she had to call AT&T to get her data plan configurd to work on the iPhone.  In fact, they had to make several changed on her account to get it all to work, so even though they are all teh "same plan" they do still seem to have different configuration options based on what type of phone you have.  I also know of a person who accidentlly sent their Blackbeery through the laundry still in their jeans pocket.  They moved their sim to an iPhone 3GS and the phone works, but the 3G (or Edge or GPRS) data does not work.  For this person, the account is for their work phone, and they can't get the data configuration changed to work with their iPhone so they just use the iPhone as a "feature phone" when out of wifi access.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Professor

So, possibly the "trick" here is that you can easily move your microsim (with adapter) to a non-iPhone and everything works (the phone I was using was an old AT&T HTC Tilt WinMo phone, it worked and locked 3G - same sim worked in a G1 Andriod phone (TMobile/unlocked dev phone) on 2G)

Assuming your plan is an iPhone plan, that is... however I thought the whole point of the July data plan changes was to make consistent data plans work across all smartphones...

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support