Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Feb 17, 2012
9:32:12 AM
View profile
Can a message in the VM account be used/marked as the VM greeting everyone hears?

I'm new here and have a quick question....I am an AT&T mobile user, but have not had any strange VM issues. However, a family member uses AT&T for home phone service, and somehow a recorded VM message from a caller has ended up as the actual VM greeting that everyone hears when calling (after just a couple of rings).

I'm trying to help by finding out if this switch-a-roo is something the system can do "automatically," (ie: the original greeting was deleted with no other "orders" given, so it automatically pulled from the messages)....OR if it's simply user error and a wrong button was pushed, causing the message to become the greeting (is that even possible??)...OR if this type of thing can only happen if the message is recorded on a secondary source and then recorded back (on purpose) as the VM greeting (ie: a prank by someone else living in the house.) I really appreciate any help you can give...THANKS!!

I'm new here and have a quick question....I am an AT&T mobile user, but have not had any strange VM issues. However, a family member uses AT&T for home phone service, and somehow a recorded VM message from a caller has ended up as the actual VM greeting that everyone hears when calling (after just a couple of rings).

I'm trying to help by finding out if this switch-a-roo is something the system can do "automatically," (ie: the original greeting was deleted with no other "orders" given, so it automatically pulled from the messages)....OR if it's simply user error and a wrong button was pushed, causing the message to become the greeting (is that even possible??)...OR if this type of thing can only happen if the message is recorded on a secondary source and then recorded back (on purpose) as the VM greeting (ie: a prank by someone else living in the house.) I really appreciate any help you can give...THANKS!!

Can a message in the VM account be used/marked as the VM greeting everyone hears?

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 10:57:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I seriously doubt it is a feature (makes no sense) or the result of errant button pushes (requires password and too much navigation).

I would vote for prank, if you are suspecting it. Of course, prankster needs the password and administrative knowledge.
Another possibility is mechanical failure - recorder is aimed at the wrong data.

I hope it was changed expeditiously.

Is it U-voice or POTS? It is not an in-home answering machine?
I seriously doubt it is a feature (makes no sense) or the result of errant button pushes (requires password and too much navigation).

I would vote for prank, if you are suspecting it. Of course, prankster needs the password and administrative knowledge.
Another possibility is mechanical failure - recorder is aimed at the wrong data.

I hope it was changed expeditiously.

Is it U-voice or POTS? It is not an in-home answering machine?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can a message in the VM account be used/marked as the VM greeting everyone hears?

2 of 2 (191 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments