Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 2, 2011
11:55:16 AM
View profile
Can You Transfer Unlimited 3G Plan to iPad 2?

I have a year old 3G iPad with a grandfathered unlimited AT&T plan.  If I buy a 3G iPad 2 can I transfer the unlimited plan at the same monthly cost?

I have a year old 3G iPad with a grandfathered unlimited AT&T plan.  If I buy a 3G iPad 2 can I transfer the unlimited plan at the same monthly cost?

Can You Transfer Unlimited 3G Plan to iPad 2?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2011 12:19:02 PM
(0)
Professor

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I would assume you would just slip the SIM into the iPad 2. I haven't seen any official word on this, yet.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I would assume you would just slip the SIM into the iPad 2. I haven't seen any official word on this, yet.

Re: Can You Transfer Unlimited 3G Plan to iPad 2?

2 of 10 (12,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2011 12:42:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just got off the phone with them.

I will hand my ipad to my mom and then use the ipad 2 for myself. They said I could move over my unlimited plan by calling customer service using my original ipad phone number (see account page in the ipad). and they would transfer it. Manual but doable.

Mark

I just got off the phone with them.

I will hand my ipad to my mom and then use the ipad 2 for myself. They said I could move over my unlimited plan by calling customer service using my original ipad phone number (see account page in the ipad). and they would transfer it. Manual but doable.

Mark

3 of 10 (12,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2011 8:17:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

ahh AT&T. I too just got off the phone with them (39 minutes of wait time!) and she told me I could NOT switch my unlimited plan to the ipad 2. She said there is no way to do it since the plan isn't offered. I asked if I could simply move the sim card over and she said it would deactivate the sim card.

I'm going to call again later to see if I get a different answer.

Also, I was at the Apple store this morning and they had no idea. AT&T hadn't communicated anything to them (SHOCK AND SURPRISE!)

ahh AT&T. I too just got off the phone with them (39 minutes of wait time!) and she told me I could NOT switch my unlimited plan to the ipad 2. She said there is no way to do it since the plan isn't offered. I asked if I could simply move the sim card over and she said it would deactivate the sim card.

I'm going to call again later to see if I get a different answer.

Also, I was at the Apple store this morning and they had no idea. AT&T hadn't communicated anything to them (SHOCK AND SURPRISE!)

4 of 10 (10,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 11:25:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by sddjd on Mar 24, 2011 at 11:26:34 AM

"She said there is no way to do it since the plan isn't offered. I asked if I could simply move the sim card over and she said it would deactivate the sim card"

Interesting response since others have performed this very same action (albeit using an iphone4 micro sim > ipad 2 and using Apple's downloadable tool for setting the network).  Further, one would think the rep would have known the 3G sim won't fit into the ipad 2...

It's hearsay of course, but one user on another forum stated that he received an email from ATT after moving his iphone4 sim to his ipad 2 suggesting that he contact ATT to ensure that he had the best service experience on his ipad 2.

It would be nice to see an official statement on this practice, since moving the SIM precludes use of both devices simultaneously.  I own an iphone and a windows phone (work won't support iphone while traveling) and had it confirmed in writing that I am free to move the sim between the two as I please.  Now it's possible it's a situation that ATT will enforce only on the ipad, but this would make little sense as iphone vs ipad use won't be so disparate from a data standpoint. 

None of this applies to my phones (3G/Focus) but it's relevant to my wife's iphone4 vis-a-vis a potential ipad 2 purchase.

"She said there is no way to do it since the plan isn't offered. I asked if I could simply move the sim card over and she said it would deactivate the sim card"

Interesting response since others have performed this very same action (albeit using an iphone4 micro sim > ipad 2 and using Apple's downloadable tool for setting the network).  Further, one would think the rep would have known the 3G sim won't fit into the ipad 2...

It's hearsay of course, but one user on another forum stated that he received an email from ATT after moving his iphone4 sim to his ipad 2 suggesting that he contact ATT to ensure that he had the best service experience on his ipad 2.

It would be nice to see an official statement on this practice, since moving the SIM precludes use of both devices simultaneously.  I own an iphone and a windows phone (work won't support iphone while traveling) and had it confirmed in writing that I am free to move the sim between the two as I please.  Now it's possible it's a situation that ATT will enforce only on the ipad, but this would make little sense as iphone vs ipad use won't be so disparate from a data standpoint. 

None of this applies to my phones (3G/Focus) but it's relevant to my wife's iphone4 vis-a-vis a potential ipad 2 purchase.

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (9,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 3:46:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes.  Just swap the SIM card.

I used these instructions...

http://www.tcgeeks.com/move-old-ipad-data-plan-to-ipad-2/

So far it works great.

Jim

Yes.  Just swap the SIM card.

I used these instructions...

http://www.tcgeeks.com/move-old-ipad-data-plan-to-ipad-2/

So far it works great.

Jim

6 of 10 (8,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 9:40:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

I read the artical and all and was wondering if this can be done from an iphone 4 to an ipad 1st gen.

I read the artical and all and was wondering if this can be done from an iphone 4 to an ipad 1st gen.

7 of 10 (8,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 11:06:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just got off the phone with AT&T and asked why mu unlimited data stopped working on my IPAD 1

They said that I can't use an Iphone data plan on an IPAD

I was TICKED OFF, There own website says that the unlimited plan thats been grandfathered to current customers can be used on the IPAD 1 and 2.

The removed the block and my IPAD started using the 3G unlimited data plan again, then I got an email a few hours later saying that if I am using my IPHONE unlimited data plan on my IPAD that I could lose it at any time and will need to chose a IPAD data plan............. SUCH Bull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with AT&T and asked why mu unlimited data stopped working on my IPAD 1

I was TICKED OFF, There own website says that the unlimited plan thats been grandfathered to current customers can be used on the IPAD 1 and 2.

The removed the block and my IPAD started using the 3G unlimited data plan again, then I got an email a few hours later saying that if I am using my IPHONE unlimited data plan on my IPAD that I could lose it at any time and will need to chose a IPAD data plan............. SUCH Bull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 of 10 (3,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 3, 2012 4:13:31 PM
(0)
Guru

No.

luvmyv3r wrote:

No.

luvmyv3r wrote:

9 of 10 (3,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 3, 2012 4:14:12 PM
(0)
Guru

Well, you can't do this. The plans are not mutually interchangeable. You can't use an iPhone data plan on an iPad.

willfail wrote:

Well, you can't do this. The plans are not mutually interchangeable. You can't use an iPhone data plan on an iPad.

willfail wrote:

10 of 10 (3,310 Views)