Can I use wireless internet without having a contract?

Contributor

Can I use wireless internet without having a contract?

Does anyone know if I have to have a contract with AT&T to use wireless internet on my laptop? I am from Germany and I will visit USA in summer for 3 months and need to check my e-mail-account. 

Thank you very much for your help!
Message 1 of 4
Expert

Re: Can I use wireless internet without having a contract?

silkisilk wrote:
     Does anyone know if I have to have a contract with AT&T to use wireless internet on my laptop? I am from Germany and I will visit USA in summer for 3 months and need to check my e-mail-account. 
     Thank you very much for your help!

From what I could find out through customer care, they only require a contract if they provide the equipment to you at a discounted rate, This would also fall in line with the info found in this LINK.

Editted For Clarifacation And Link Addition.

Message Edited by wilcre on 03-31-2008 11:17:54 PM
Message 2 of 4
BAT
Scholar

Sign up for 2 years, then after your 3 months, send them the $175 for early termination. OR if you have a phone that you can tether, add that service to your plan, (around $50 . mo) then cancel the service any time..

Also, IF i'm not mistaken, the 2-year is if they give you the hardware.. IF you buy the wireless card, say from Ebay, you should be able to use month to month.. ? You might check with CS about that..

BAT

Message 3 of 4

Tha at&t business site lists a data connect plan that is abailable , without a contract for $79 a month. This can be done with a laptop card or tethered pda or phone.

See the LaptopConnect Card link at the bottom of the page. The the DataConnect plan for $60, then note #6

"6. Requires two-year agreement. Otherwise, the Monthly Service Charge is $79.99. Plan may also be used with eligible, AT&T-certified customer owned and maintained (COAM) devices."

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support