Can I use the new LG Thrive with my current post-paid line?

Contributor

Can I use the new LG Thrive with my current post-paid line?

Hello everybody.

I am planning to buy a good new Android smarphone and I've just seen the new LG Thrive on the GoPhone list for $179.99 and I like the phone. But I currently have a Samsung Flight in a family package with calling and unlimited texting and no monthly data/internet plan. So my question is, can I buy a new LG Thrive GoPhone for $180 but not use the new number and simply put my current SIM card into the LG Thrive and start using it like I normally did before? Does AT&T not allow you to do this or something? I really just want a new cheap phone but keep my current line. If I am able to do so, will I be forced to buy a data plan or anything since the Thrive is an Android smarthphone?

Thank you. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11 (4,905 Views)
Master

Re: Can I use the new LG Thrive with my current post-paid line?

Yes. You may buy the Thrive for $180 and insert your postpaid SIM card and begin using the phone like you normally would. However, a data plan MAY be required for use, since it is a smartphone. Chances are that you will have to add a data plan, considering that prepaid GoPhone customers must in order to use the phone. The postpaid version of this phone is called the LG Phoenix - it does require a data plan for use.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 11 (4,827 Views)
Tutor

When I received my Thrive GoPhone I was able to use it on WiFi without a data plan. So I _assume_ that if I didn't get a dataplan, I could still use the data, just on Wifi. I think in the info it says if you want to use ATT Data (or something like that) you need a dataplan. I think a problem would be if you tried to use in on  a post-paid plan with a feature phone data plan.

Message 3 of 11 (4,702 Views)
Contributor

I'm looking into buying the LG Thrive. Has anyone been charged for data while using it without a data plan?

Message 4 of 11 (4,385 Views)
Tutor

I doubt there would be a charge....in fact, from what the promotional info said, I doubt you could even use the data without a data plan. Of course you could use WiFi just fine, but if Wifi wasn't available, I believe it would just tell you there isn't any access (much like an Ipod touch).

Message 5 of 11 (4,373 Views)
Contributor

I bought a gophone LG Thrive, with a $2 a day unlimited talk and text. Added up a $25 data plan for 500Mb and it worked perfectly fine. Excellent phone and recommended for people that are starting in the android world (pre paid).

Message 6 of 11 (4,240 Views)
Employee

It would b a way for you to get an Android phone without spending too much (assuming u aren't eligible for upgrade.) However, it *is* a smartphone, and if u use it on a postpaid acct, the network will detect you are using a smartphone and auto add the $25 data plan.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 11 (4,211 Views)
Contributor

So in short, an auto $25 dollar data plan will be added to your account when you insert  a post-paid line SIM into the LG Thrive?????

Message 8 of 11 (3,805 Views)
Master

Aloha_State wrote:

So in short, an auto $25 dollar data plan will be added to your account when you insert  a post-paid line SIM into the LG Thrive?????

Most likely - yes.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 9 of 11 (3,786 Views)
Contributor

I have internet thats disconected, do i still have to get a data plan?

Message 10 of 11 (2,858 Views)
Master

If you plan on using your Thrive on a post paid line, then yes. Data plans are required for post paid smartphones.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 11 of 11 (1,530 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.