Can I use the new LG Thrive with my current post-paid line?

Contributor

Can I use the new LG Thrive with my current post-paid line?

Hello everybody.

I am planning to buy a good new Android smarphone and I've just seen the new LG Thrive on the GoPhone list for $179.99 and I like the phone. But I currently have a Samsung Flight in a family package with calling and unlimited texting and no monthly data/internet plan. So my question is, can I buy a new LG Thrive GoPhone for $180 but not use the new number and simply put my current SIM card into the LG Thrive and start using it like I normally did before? Does AT&T not allow you to do this or something? I really just want a new cheap phone but keep my current line. If I am able to do so, will I be forced to buy a data plan or anything since the Thrive is an Android smarthphone?

Thank you. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
Master

Re: Can I use the new LG Thrive with my current post-paid line?

Yes. You may buy the Thrive for $180 and insert your postpaid SIM card and begin using the phone like you normally would. However, a data plan MAY be required for use, since it is a smartphone. Chances are that you will have to add a data plan, considering that prepaid GoPhone customers must in order to use the phone. The postpaid version of this phone is called the LG Phoenix - it does require a data plan for use.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 11
Tutor

When I received my Thrive GoPhone I was able to use it on WiFi without a data plan. So I _assume_ that if I didn't get a dataplan, I could still use the data, just on Wifi. I think in the info it says if you want to use ATT Data (or something like that) you need a dataplan. I think a problem would be if you tried to use in on  a post-paid plan with a feature phone data plan.

Message 3 of 11
Contributor

I'm looking into buying the LG Thrive. Has anyone been charged for data while using it without a data plan?

Message 4 of 11
Tutor

I doubt there would be a charge....in fact, from what the promotional info said, I doubt you could even use the data without a data plan. Of course you could use WiFi just fine, but if Wifi wasn't available, I believe it would just tell you there isn't any access (much like an Ipod touch).

Message 5 of 11
Contributor

I bought a gophone LG Thrive, with a $2 a day unlimited talk and text. Added up a $25 data plan for 500Mb and it worked perfectly fine. Excellent phone and recommended for people that are starting in the android world (pre paid).

Message 6 of 11
Employee

It would b a way for you to get an Android phone without spending too much (assuming u aren't eligible for upgrade.) However, it *is* a smartphone, and if u use it on a postpaid acct, the network will detect you are using a smartphone and auto add the $25 data plan.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 11
Contributor

So in short, an auto $25 dollar data plan will be added to your account when you insert  a post-paid line SIM into the LG Thrive?????

Message 8 of 11
Master

Aloha_State wrote:

So in short, an auto $25 dollar data plan will be added to your account when you insert  a post-paid line SIM into the LG Thrive?????

Most likely - yes.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 9 of 11
Contributor

I have internet thats disconected, do i still have to get a data plan?

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Master

If you plan on using your Thrive on a post paid line, then yes. Data plans are required for post paid smartphones.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 11 of 11
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support