Can I use iPhone 4 without contract on ebay with my prepaid sim card?

Contributor

Can I use iPhone 4 without contract on ebay with my prepaid sim card?

Hi,

I'm buying an iPhone 4 ATT from ebay. It is an iPhone without contract, the seller bought a new iPhone 4S and sell it away. Can I just cut my prepaid sim card and use it on my iPhone? I don't want to use data just calling and texting. Can I disable GPRS for my service?

Any idea would be really appreciated.

Message 1 of 5 (2,664 Views)
Professor

Re: Can I use iPhone 4 without contract on ebay with my prepaid sim card?

Per AT&T ruels state the Iphone 4 can not be used on pre paid cell service. but i am not sure if you can use it.  i have read this here many of times about the Iphone not being allowed on pre paid.

Message 2 of 5 (2,661 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, you can cut down a pre-paid sim card and use it without a data plan. Just turn off 3G data and you can use it on wi-fi only.

Message 3 of 5 (2,612 Views)
Master

Most definitely. Personally, I am using a fresh iPhone 3GS on my prepaid account. Right now I have it in "No SIM" mode, but when I do place my SIM card in, I use it with Wi-Fi. I do have the cellular data network activated, but iPhones cannot connect to prepaid data unless you hack it, so you likely would not be charged for data usage anyway.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 5 (2,544 Views)
Highlighted

yep you can use it... but dont try to use data on 3g network even for a "quick" check of something... they will charge you all kinds of fees.

Message 5 of 5 (2,523 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.