Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 14, 2011
8:59:38 PM
Can I use an unlocked T Mobile HTC MyTouch Slide on AT&T?

Can I use an unlocked T Mobile HTC MyTouch Slide on AT&T? I am not eligible for an upgrade for another year and I want at least an android 2.1 OS with a qwerty keyboard. AT&T doesn't offer any phones that have good reviews meeting this that I have seen. 

Can I use an unlocked T Mobile HTC MyTouch Slide on AT&T? I am not eligible for an upgrade for another year and I want at least an android 2.1 OS with a qwerty keyboard. AT&T doesn't offer any phones that have good reviews meeting this that I have seen. 

Can I use an unlocked T Mobile HTC MyTouch Slide on AT&T?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 9:00:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Also meaning something meeting this that's $300 or less

Also meaning something meeting this that's $300 or less

Re: Can I use an unlocked T Mobile HTC MyTouch Slide on AT&T?

2 of 6 (5,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 9:02:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

...and by qwerty i mean not touchscreen

...and by qwerty i mean not touchscreen

3 of 6 (5,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 4:36:04 AM
(0)
Professor
Yes, but it will only work on the EDGE network.
If you are okay with giving up the 3G connectivity/speed then go for it.

The device simply does not have the hardware to connect to AT&T's 3G network.
Yes, but it will only work on the EDGE network.
If you are okay with giving up the 3G connectivity/speed then go for it.

The device simply does not have the hardware to connect to AT&T's 3G network.

4 of 6 (5,923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 7:57:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

I found out that the basic breakdown is this:

2G = text and talk

3G = internet, multimedia messaging, data transfer

So in essence the answer is really no, a smartphone for it's intended purpose made by T Mobile will not work on the AT&T network. There's a lot of people out there being scammed because sellers are refusing to reveal this info and saying that because some features work, all is as described.

An AT&T authorized retailer wound up cutting us a great deal. No keyboard, but getting a great deal on a really good phone that is garunteed makes up for it I suppose.

Thanks for the help

2G = text and talk

So in essence the answer is really no, a smartphone for it's intended purpose made by T Mobile will not work on the AT&T network. There's a lot of people out there being scammed because sellers are refusing to reveal this info and saying that because some features work, all is as described.

An AT&T authorized retailer wound up cutting us a great deal. No keyboard, but getting a great deal on a really good phone that is garunteed makes up for it I suppose.

Thanks for the help

5 of 6 (5,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 6:48:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:50:33 AM

skatardrummer wrote:

2G = text and talk

Thanks for the help

No!!!  That is completely incorrect!!!  Wherever you heard that from, your source is wrong and totally clueless.  2G or EDGE is indeed for voice, but it also transmits data.  You can browse the internet, email, send MMS, and virtually all other data functions perfectly well on EDGE/2G.  In fact, you will find that AT&T does not even have 3G in a great many places, particularly away from built-up cities and suburbs (but you will also find spots of no 3G  in those places as well).  In those situations your smarthphone will be on 2G/EDGE.  2G and 3G do the same things, 2G/EDGE is usually just much slower than 3G.  But in fact, you may find that 2G can even be faster than 3G in some conditions (such as a congested 3G network).  You may find that 2G is too slow for some highly data intensive tasks, such as video streaming.  But even a congested 3G network will choke trying to do that, as well.  For the more common tasks of internet browsing, email, smaller downloads, 2G works fine.

Most smartphones on T-Mobile, once unlocked work perfectly fine on the EDGE data network.  Just slide your SIM into the T-Mob phone.  You will probably also need to manually enter the AT&T APN info into the phone, to get the data connection.  When you buy a phone directly from a carrier, the APN is pre-configured.   But its easy to do yourself.  Just Google for "Android AT&T APN" or similar search string, if you still want to try.

Its good that AT&T cut you a deal, and you have a phone that works on their 3G network.  But hopefully they didn't screw you out of a bunch of money, that you wouldn't have spent if you stuck with the MyTouch Slide.

skatardrummer wrote:

2G = text and talk

Thanks for the help

No!!!  That is completely incorrect!!!  Wherever you heard that from, your source is wrong and totally clueless.  2G or EDGE is indeed for voice, but it also transmits data.  You can browse the internet, email, send MMS, and virtually all other data functions perfectly well on EDGE/2G.  In fact, you will find that AT&T does not even have 3G in a great many places, particularly away from built-up cities and suburbs (but you will also find spots of no 3G  in those places as well).  In those situations your smarthphone will be on 2G/EDGE.  2G and 3G do the same things, 2G/EDGE is usually just much slower than 3G.  But in fact, you may find that 2G can even be faster than 3G in some conditions (such as a congested 3G network).  You may find that 2G is too slow for some highly data intensive tasks, such as video streaming.  But even a congested 3G network will choke trying to do that, as well.  For the more common tasks of internet browsing, email, smaller downloads, 2G works fine.

Most smartphones on T-Mobile, once unlocked work perfectly fine on the EDGE data network.  Just slide your SIM into the T-Mob phone.  You will probably also need to manually enter the AT&T APN info into the phone, to get the data connection.  When you buy a phone directly from a carrier, the APN is pre-configured.   But its easy to do yourself.  Just Google for "Android AT&T APN" or similar search string, if you still want to try.

Its good that AT&T cut you a deal, and you have a phone that works on their 3G network.  But hopefully they didn't screw you out of a bunch of money, that you wouldn't have spent if you stuck with the MyTouch Slide.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (5,897 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments