Ask a question

Posted Dec 1, 2009
4:55:29 PM
Can I use an iPhone with a prepaid plan?

I am really interested in buying an iPhone from ebay or other online seller, and using a prepaid plan.  The fact is that I am in high school, I do not have a job yet, and my parents are not even about to start paying for a full blown iPhone plan with data and everything else.  Right now, all I have to use is a cheap tracfone, and I really want to upgrade to att.

I want to use the iPhone with a pay as you go (PAYG) plan, but from many sites I have read, att does not like people who do that.  I was planning on getting a used iPhone 2g, and then buying a Go Phone from the store somewhere.  Then I could set up my account and swap the sim cards.

I am not interested in an EDGE data plan, because I do not need internet outside of my home.  I have wi-fi and that is all I need.  If I set up my Go Phone, and swap it into a used iPhone, then will I be able to use the PAYG plan with the iPhone.

I really do not want to stick with tracfone, and I think att should be glad that I want to switch over to their company.  I would get a full iPhone 3G plan if I had the money, but the truth is that I probably will never want to pay that much for just a cell phone.

Can I use an iPhone with a prepaid plan?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 4:58:12 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Scholar Yoshi on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:03:50 PM

No att does not allow the iphone to be use as a prepaid phone. they did at the very begining of the iphone but they do not any more.

I do understand your problems with the tracphone though when I had mine it would only complete a call maybe 1 in 20 times and then drop the call at least 75% of the time, have you considered another prepaid service such as Jump, Boost, or Cricket?

Message Edited by cautiouscustomer on 12-01-2009 05:03:50 PM

Re: Can I use an iPhone with a prepaid plan?

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (67,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 5:03:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

but if I swapped the sim card from a PAYG phone into an iPhone, would it just not work?

I heard about 3.0 firmware cutting the use of the iPhone as a prepaid phone, but if that is the case, i know how to easily downgrade firmware.

3 of 6 (67,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 5:04:52 PM
(0)
Guru

I don't believe it would and even if it did it would still use the data services and really rack up your bill.

4 of 6 (67,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 5:10:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by krazykuul on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:11:31 PM

well, i saw this discussed before, and I know of a website which can disable the iPhone's data service to use with a pay as you go plan, but my main question is if you can still make calls with it.  It has been done before, but I am just hoping that it still works

i'll probably call ATT about it

Message Edited by krazykuul on 12-01-2009 05:11:31 PM

[ Edited ]
5 of 6 (67,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2009 8:17:36 AM
(0)
Former Moderator
Thank you for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now being closed.  Should the OP need additional assistance, please feel free to open up a new thread.

6 of 6 (67,205 Views)