Can I use an AT&T 3G Microcell with a wireless connection?

Contributor

Can I use an AT&T 3G Microcell with a wireless connection?

I live in a condo where we all share a secured, private wireless connection where the cable modem and wireless router physically reside in the home office of the unit below my unit. My internet wireless signal in my own home office is strong -- four to five bars. I've never had any trouble using the Internet with my laptop nor with the Netflix streaming to my wireless-connected Blu-Ray player.

I just received a 3G Microcell from my boss to make working from home easier. I can't physically connect my Microcell with an ethernet connection directly to the modem or wireless router because they are in a different part of the building. Is there something I can do to allow my Microcell to receive a wireless signal? I thought about getting a wireless modem receiver like one I used to use on my old desktop computer. Would something like that work? How would I enter the network's password?

Message 1 of 3 (2,359 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Can I use an AT&T 3G Microcell with a wireless connection?

Probably not. The MicroCell needs a physical connection either to the router or the gateway modem (priority connection) and a clear, unobstructed view of the sky, so about 18" away from a window unless you use an extended GPS antenna.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3 (2,327 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Scholar

Re: Can I use an AT&T 3G Microcell with a wireless connection?

[ Edited ]

I had used a wireless bridge and connect the 3g microcell to the bridge with a Ethernet cable. There are inexpensive wireless router that can run in the wireless bridge mode. The one I used was a Asus N13U wireless router that can be switched from router, bridge and access point modes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3 (2,278 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.