Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 24, 2009
4:19:04 PM
Can I use GPS on BlackBerry bold -- WITHOUT Navigator?
Is this possible?  I am talking about going in to options->advanced options->GPS and seeing my longtitude and latitude there.  Right now I'm seeing all zeroes and I want to know if AT&T blocked this or not. 
Is this possible?  I am talking about going in to options->advanced options->GPS and seeing my longtitude and latitude there.  Right now I'm seeing all zeroes and I want to know if AT&T blocked this or not. 

Can I use GPS on BlackBerry bold -- WITHOUT Navigator?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2009 8:24:17 PM
(0)
Master

Make sure that the GPS is working and has connection to satellites. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS -> select the menu and choose “Refresh GPS”. The display will tell you the number of satellites it can reach and your location. If you are doing this in a building, or inside somewhere, it may have trouble getting your location.

Also, you can download and use Google Maps, which works well on my Bold...............

Make sure that the GPS is working and has connection to satellites. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS -> select the menu and choose “Refresh GPS”. The display will tell you the number of satellites it can reach and your location. If you are doing this in a building, or inside somewhere, it may have trouble getting your location.

Also, you can download and use Google Maps, which works well on my Bold...............

Re: Can I use GPS on BlackBerry bold -- WITHOUT Navigator?

2 of 4 (4,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 11:16:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Just finished a long trip and verified that the GPS will work by itself even without any cell phone or data coverage.  It will not work through thick glass like a Chinese train or through buildings.  Get a clear view of the open sky, follow the instructions above and be patient, very patient.  I did not see any altitude data from the internal GPS.
Just finished a long trip and verified that the GPS will work by itself even without any cell phone or data coverage.  It will not work through thick glass like a Chinese train or through buildings.  Get a clear view of the open sky, follow the instructions above and be patient, very patient.  I did not see any altitude data from the internal GPS.

3 of 4 (4,052 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 12:56:17 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by tlagrone on Sep 22, 2009 at 1:02:15 AM

Just finished looking at my photos using Picasa3 from Google.  Some of the pictures were geotagged including altitude data.  This doesn't help in real time; however, it is great to refresh your travel memories.  Looking at the success or lack of success of the geotagging, being outdoors with a clear sky view seems to be necessary.

I used google maps extensively on the trip and it will use cell phone tower data when GPS is not available.  With the exception of one short period where Google Maps thought I was in downtown Paris, France (I was actually in Northern Tibet, China), it did a good job when cell phone data coverage was available (spotty in that region, but better than where I live in the US).  Watch out for the bill at the end of the month and sign up for a big international data package.

Message Edited by tlagrone on 09-22-2009 12:02:15 AM

Just finished looking at my photos using Picasa3 from Google.  Some of the pictures were geotagged including altitude data.  This doesn't help in real time; however, it is great to refresh your travel memories.  Looking at the success or lack of success of the geotagging, being outdoors with a clear sky view seems to be necessary.

I used google maps extensively on the trip and it will use cell phone tower data when GPS is not available.  With the exception of one short period where Google Maps thought I was in downtown Paris, France (I was actually in Northern Tibet, China), it did a good job when cell phone data coverage was available (spotty in that region, but better than where I live in the US).  Watch out for the bill at the end of the month and sign up for a big international data package.

Message Edited by tlagrone on 09-22-2009 12:02:15 AM

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (4,045 Views)