Helpful Links

Can I use 3G sim from a Cingular HTC 8525 in a PC card and connect?

Can I use 3G sim from a Cingular HTC 8525 in a PC card and connect?

Greetings all, I have a Cingular ATT HTC 8525 PDA phone with the unlimited data plan on the 3G network. I very infrequently tether this to my laptop to access the internet. However, all the pain involved whether via USB or Bluetooth is a chore. I was wondering if I pick up a cheap PC card with 3G capability from somewhere like ebay and put my sim in there, will it work? Are there any ATT network specific things I need to be aware of when looking for a PC card? Will the speeds be any different? I max out at about 65 kilobytes/sec when tethered via USB and even less with bluetooth. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Message 1 of 3
Scholar

Re: Can I use 3G sim from a Cingular HTC 8525 in a PC card and connect?

You can save yourself some money if you change your data plan to a PDA Tethering data plan. It is a 3G device so you can tether it via USB. It will cover data on your handheld and while your tether. You should have the internet sharing option on the device to tether, just a thought instead of shelling out the dimes for a new air card.
Message 2 of 3
Master

Re: Can I use 3G sim from a Cingular HTC 8525 in a PC card and connect?

Yes you can swap your sim card into a data card with no problem.  Just make sure you have the right data plan for tethering so you don't get a nasty surprise on your bill.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support